This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

20 Mos. Old Just Diagnosed & Hardly Eating With Severe Constipation

teacherwheart

teacherwheart Apprentice

My son was just diagnosed and he has all the symptoms severe constipation, bloating, abdominal pain, extreme fatigue, irritability, rapid weight loss, etc. He was extremly dehydrated last weekend and wound up in the hospital. On Thursday they did an endoscopy, and 2 coloniscopies with 3 enemas all within 4 hours becuase of his severe constopation he was really backed up ( they were also thinkin Crohns disease) . It was confirmed he has celieac still awaitign Crohns test. He was released Friday and has hardly eaten anything. He has not gone to the bathroom either and still has all the abdominal symptoms listed above. He is on a gluten free diet since Thursday night. I am beyond worried. Do I give him another enema? Is this normal? I really dont know what to feed him, I've tried everything. His entire attitude has changed he is moody, clingy, he doesnt want to walk, only wants to be held. I am so upset and worried. Please help. To add to this I have a 2mos onld as well. Sorry so long.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

It isnt too long. I can understand why you are worried. Will he drink? Could try some ensure or a homemade smoothie to see if he will eat that. I would stay AWAY from dairy at least for a few months while his intestines heal. Use almond milk or gluten-free rice milk for the smoothie.

jcnfc Rookie

This sounds exactly like my daughter about 6 weeks ago. She is 22 months with the same symptoms, ended up in the hospital, had the enimas and suppositories and they diagnosed her with Celiac. She wouldn't eat either and her behavior was so clingy and lethargic. The Doctor put her on a stool softener which she is still taking which I had a hard time giving her. We had no issues with lactose so I put it in milk and yogurt which worked well. Within a week she was eating normally and within three weeks she gained 3 pounds. She only eats french toast, watermelon and broccoli but it's at least something. As everyone on this site told me; it does take a few weeks but they do re-bound. I would talk to your Dr. about the stool softener so that you don't run the risk of continued constipation. Let me know if you have other questions; this is exactly what we just went through. Good luck.

teacherwheart Apprentice
This sounds exactly like my daughter about 6 weeks ago. She is 22 months with the same symptoms, ended up in the hospital, had the enimas and suppositories and they diagnosed her with Celiac. She wouldn't eat either and her behavior was so clingy and lethargic. The Doctor put her on a stool softener which she is still taking which I had a hard time giving her. We had no issues with lactose so I put it in milk and yogurt which worked well. Within a week she was eating normally and within three weeks she gained 3 pounds. She only eats french toast, watermelon and broccoli but it's at least something. As everyone on this site told me; it does take a few weeks but they do re-bound. I would talk to your Dr. about the stool softener so that you don't run the risk of continued constipation. Let me know if you have other questions; this is exactly what we just went through. Good luck.

Ok you make me feel better, he is taking 1 cap full of miralax a day so hopefully that will work. At least I am not alone

jcnfc Rookie

Yes, that is what my daughter is taking. It takes a couple of days for it all to work itself out. I was really freaked out especially because not only was she losing weight but she was also doing the no walking thing. We had to carry her everywhere and if we put her down she would scream. She also wouldn't talk anymore. It only took a few days before we were seeing a change and now she is like all toddlers. The food is hard but I found some bread she likes so I make a lot of french toast. I add ground flax seed and pureed vegetables to the eggs to increase the nutrition. Keep searching on this site you will get a lot of good advice.

Beth in NC Contributor
My son was just diagnosed and he has all the symptoms severe constipation, bloating, abdominal pain, extreme fatigue, irritability, rapid weight loss, etc. He was extremly dehydrated last weekend and wound up in the hospital. On Thursday they did an endoscopy, and 2 coloniscopies with 3 enemas all within 4 hours becuase of his severe constopation he was really backed up ( they were also thinkin Crohns disease) . It was confirmed he has celieac still awaitign Crohns test. He was released Friday and has hardly eaten anything. He has not gone to the bathroom either and still has all the abdominal symptoms listed above. He is on a gluten free diet since Thursday night. I am beyond worried. Do I give him another enema? Is this normal? I really dont know what to feed him, I've tried everything. His entire attitude has changed he is moody, clingy, he doesnt want to walk, only wants to be held. I am so upset and worried. Please help. To add to this I have a 2mos onld as well. Sorry so long.

He's probably in a LOT of pain with the constipation. It's doesn't take much to make you really hurt...abdomen, back, sides. I've thought I had a kidney stone before the pain was so intense. Add to that any abdominal pain just from the damaged small intestine.

I would keep him hydrated. When things get moving he'll want to eat. When he eats now, it makes things start to move and it hurts...he's figured that out and wants no part of it.

MarsupialMama Apprentice

This was exactly our experience too! Our daughter (22 months now) was hospitalized for dehydration, and she had terrible constipation (like once a week or once every two weeks right before the hospital episode!) since she was born. The bloating, weight loss, irritableness...everything you mentioned!

If you can get him to drink, get some prune juice in him ASAP and as much water as possible. (No sodas whatsoever because these further dehydrate). This might seem like a very simple thing, but once it busts through, you can keep him from becoming plugged. I would do anything to keep his bowels moving - it is so important. When my daughter was plugged (after the whole hospital ordeal) I was determined to not repeat that for ANYthing. So I would take a little 2 oz. bulb syringe and fill with warm water, cover the tip with olive oil, and put it in her little bottom and very very gently and slowly squeeze the water in. She was perfectly fine with it. Sure enough, she produced a good bowel movement. If you do it just a few ounces at a time, you can tell what they keep in (to hydrate their body) after they expel whatever bowel movement is in there. Also, you don't risk overflooding their little bodies. I don't think enemas are the way to go permanently but I am not against using them temporarily until the problems are on their way to fixing.

Keep him off of starches like white rice, pasta, and even the gluten-free breads (because they can be constipating when the system is not strong) because that will plug him up. Fresh fruit is the best thing you can put in him right now - it is incredibly cleansing and nutritious, and will also help hydrate him to a certain extent. If you have a juicer, make some fresh fruit juices - children love them - and it's a great hydrater too. Or you can make some fruit smoothies in the blender.

Things WILL get better. If you need some moral support, feel free to email me (kmmiclaus@yahoo.com) or you can call (email for #). I know how frantic a time you are going through. I can totally relate! Think: water, water, water, fresh fruit, and get those little bowels moving. Then, contact me and we'll talk to keep your sanity. (Are you in the U.S?) :)

It is so wonderful that he's been diagnosed now! We had to figure this whole thing out by ourselves, and that made it more stressful (that is an understatement). To know is truly a blessing! From here on out, it is going to get better! He is on his way right now! The days will get easier.....just hang in there!

P.S. You might want to go gluten free as well in case your 2 month old has celiac as well. It does make it easier to have everyone on the same diet (I'm finding this out........been gluten free for only a few months).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rook's Mommy Apprentice

First I am so sorry to hear about your son's pain. It's heart breaking to see them like that. My son is 23 months old and was the same way. Now he is Gluten, corn, soy and peanut free. He is still dealing with constipation. We now on meds to help. I also keep a Camelbak filled with water or pear juice all the time. It has helped a ton.

We also found he can't eat white rice or bananas they bind him. We switched to brown rice and that is much better. And lots of fruit. All the P fruits are great, pear, peaches, prunes, plums.

I hope your lil' dude gets to feel better really soon. Little ones heal fast.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

Rook's mommy, is your child still eating Dairy? If you cut out dairy the constipation will probably go away. In my family dairy causes constipation & sinus problems & ear aches for me...

teacherwheart Apprentice

Thank you all so much, I am going to try the smoothie idea with fruit. Should I force him to drink? Do I hold him down dn get soemthing in there or is that too traumatic although another hospital visit will be just as traumatic too.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I think the first few times just let him try and not force it. Maybe rub his back, sing or read to him. Whatever relaxes him and then see if he will drink it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Thank you all so much, I am going to try the smoothie idea with fruit. Should I force him to drink? Do I hold him down dn get soemthing in there or is that too traumatic although another hospital visit will be just as traumatic too.

Don't try to force him to eat, he has been through a lot plus at his age you don't want to turn it into a battle of wills. Could you make something warm on the stove that smells really good with cinnamon? You could cut up an apple and simmer it with a bit of water. Or perhaps boil a cut up sweet potatoe and add some cinnamon to that. The smell may help stimulate his appetite and cinnamon can be soothing to the tummy. Make enough so you both can have some. Kids that age like to do what you do. Don't make a big deal out of whether he is eating or not, just offer stuff to him that he can tolerate.

MarsupialMama Apprentice

I wanted to add a few things:

It took between 2 and 3 weeks and we saw improvements in our daughter in appetite. We used to have to practically force feed to get any nutrients or calories in. We all hated meal time. After a few weeks gluten free my daughter went from fighting food off to having a ferocious appetite. She now goes to the drawer where we keep plastic bowls and brings them to me several times a day to fill up with food. Same with cups to drink something. THIS WAS AMAZING.

His appetite will come back and it won't be such a battle.

Her attitude improved tremendously. She was no longer whiney and a big fusshead, but smiley and laughing. She also went from waking up several times a night, crying and crawling on me, to sleeping through the night peacefully ever since.

The bloated belly may take from a few weeks to several months to start going down. We just noticed (after 3 months or so?) a difference in that (and we have had 2 gluten accidents too.....*sighs*)

When she is very dehydrated, we sometimes have to force the issue with drinking, but it works MUCH better if we sit down togehter and read through books. She loves that, and it makes it so less stressful. Have a no-spill sippy cup on hand with water or juice all the time. My daughter will see it sometimes and just come and take a sip, then run off. But several sips throughout the day always help.

We are also dairy free and I would suggest that as well. CHEESE is one of the most constipating foods you can eat.

Also, on the constipation, see if you can get some olive oil into him. I had constipation my whole life and started taking a teaspoon of olive oil every day and it cured up the problem! Have to think of sneaky ways to get it into a little one though. Maybe add some to his smoothie! You can also add flax seeds or flax oil to the smoothies for protein and calories (and the constipation thing!) but make sure the flax gets ground at the bottom (with a little water first) because if you add them last, they don't get blended, and our daughter rejects it.

Children love routines, so if you make a smoothie for him, and sit down to read him a book while you feed or nurse your other baby, it can be a much easier time for everybody.

Lockheed Apprentice

Okay I saw a previous post that mentioned the prune juice but you mentioned that your baby is already on miralax.. I'm not sure I would mix those two.. Okay.. well I wouldn't want to change that diaper.. those diapers. The miralax will work and it will work in a few days, but if you'd rather do a natural method like the prune juice instead of the miralax that would also probably work well. Lots of other fluids too. Plenty of water or really watered down 100% fruit juices (make sure they are gluten-free - avoid anything that says Natural Flavors unless you've confirmed with the manufacturer that the natural flavoring is gluten free). Also, in our house, my 15 mo *LOVES* Pamela's Pancake mix and I make it with safflower oil instead of veggie oil. We're not using Veggie oil anymore since it's really just soybean oil and we're getting rid of soy in our house (DH and I both have issues with it). Mashed potatoes if you don't suspect an issue with nightshade family. All Natural White Cheddar Cheetos (you can find them in the alternative/health food section in most grocery stores or in the regular chips aisle at wal-mart), Ener-G doughnut holes (we buy a case a month.. really I swear we should get a discount), eggs are always good, soups and veggie purees and remember that you still have all meats and seafood to work with too. Dairy depends on the kid.. my son has dairy issues that I suspect he inherited from his dad but I don't have dairy issues and did just fine with dairy when I went gluten free.. but my son on the other hand can't seem to tolerate it. Just time and persistence and a ton of worrying in the mean time! But you're doing the right thing taking care of your baby now.

Archived