• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

teamworkjr

gluten-free Birth Control Pill?

Rate this topic

Has anyone found a birth control pill that is confirmed gluten free by the manufacturer? I recently tried Zovia which is on many gluten-free lists but which the company cannot confirm is gluten-free ("we don't put gluten in but can't be sure about the manufacturers we get our ingredients from"). Thought it was the usual "cover our ass" response, but be aware, Zovia is definitely NOT GLUTEN FREE! My doc wants me to start a new brand tomorrow and suggested Yaz, but again cannot get confirmation from manufacturer that it is in fact gluten-free. Please help! Need to be on pill for medical reasons - ovarian cancer and osteopenia protection. Can anyone offer any guidance? Thanks!

Jennifer

dx 1/07, gluten free since 1/07 but first negative antibody test in 5/08 after giving up Zovia! :)

I'm on Yasmin and have been for years which has been confirmed gluten free. Your gyno should know the answer to this or should at least be willing to call and find out which pills are gluten-free.

i've been taking Zovia for years now (used to be Demulen before they discontinued it) . i haven't had any problems since going gluten free a few months ago.

just wanted to share my experience...

I'm now on Ortho Tri-Cyclen -- I was on the generic version (TriPrevifem or something like that) and the manufacturer said there was no gluten in the ingredients BUT they couldn't confirm it was gluten free. So back to the name brand which costs much more. My pharmacist is hunting to see if one of the other generics is gluten free. We shall see.

Hi ladies,

So I know this reply is a bit late, but after having recently been diagnosed as celiac I have been doing some research, and I have been on Levlen ED for the past 6yrs (only pill I've ever taken) and after emailing Bayer only yesterday they called me this morning confirming there is no gluten in the pills, however, there is maize starch. My response was purely, you beauty! Hope this helps someone.