Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poppins

Newly Diagnosed And Going On Holiday

I have had positive blood results and biopsy done 1 week ago, not getting results for a month. But have decided to go gluten free anyway, suffering awful withdrawal symptoms. However my real worry is we have a holidy of a lifetime booked to Canada and leave on 27th. I have looked at some of the threads on eating out and cant believe how difficult it is going to be. never would have believed that veggies would be cooked in pasta water, is that common practice?

I feel sorry for my husband who was so looking forward to eating out, and now it looks like if we do venture into a resturant im going to have to be a real pain.

What do I ask?

I have emailed ahead to the guest houses and met with a sympathetic response. but it is the rest of the time.

im feeling so rough with the withdrawal that i feel inclined to say go hang and eat gluten whilst away.

any tips would be welcome

poppins

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Congratulations on your vacation!!

I Googled "gluten free" + Canada and found this:

http://www.penny.ca/Travel.htm

There were tons more sites to help you. "gluten free" + "Canada"

Looks like there are lots of options for you. :)

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Your vacation sounds like a great opportunity to practice the "I have a food allergy..." speech or however you prefer to approach it without being concerned about whether your going to get glutened. In my opinion, relax and enjoy the vacation. When you have been gluten free for a while, then you'll need to be more careful. Good luck with the diagnosis.

rob

Diagnosed Celiac May 2008