Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dannyutah

Please Help Me Understand Gliadin Ab Igg 90 Results

Hi folks, any help here would be so greatly appreciated. Here is my story, about 6 years ago I experienced some massive stress and shortly there after had some extremely unpleasent stomach problems mostly nausea, strange yellowish foul smelling stool, tiredness and weight loss but also on several occasions a reaction that included shortness of breath followed by extreme vomiting. This lead me to the doctor and a 2 month long stomach condition that was later written off as stress induced IBS after having every test in the book. However at one point I was told I had tested positive for Celiac, this was later dropped after my Gastro Dr took a biopsy and said test results weren't strong. I've been better since but never really the same. For a short time I was on the gluten free diet but after feeling better I stopped it since my gastro doc said don't worry about it.

Well here I am today feeling really really tired with weight loss and having some similar stomach movements as before, all after a massive stress issue. I've had a CT scan which showed nothing and all other tests seem fine except for a Epstein Bar positive that looks to be long past its infectious period. So anyway I asked my doc about that Celiac test from years before and she gave me the results which I never looked at before. Needless to say it looks like I need to look more into this.

GLIADIN AB IGA = 9

GLIADIN AB IGG =90

I am really puzzled by this IGG 90 score, thats a strong positive from what I'm reading here on the test results. From what I've read this 90 should be pretty definitive that I have an intolerance to gluten or at the least a strong allergy to it. Can anyone enlighten me with thoughts. I've read that some people only experience their gluten intolerance after stress, is this possible?

Dan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Dan,

Here is a link that might be of interest to you: http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed...C05-Testing.htm

For those of us with Celiac Disease, a gluten reaction can occur when ever gluten is ingested.

Often times, the disease itself can be triggered by stress, surgery, pregnancy or illness. Once it's triggered, it is with you for life. It certainly was with me. During a period of high stress my Celiac Disease was triggered, although I had no clue what was wrong at the time.

You found a great site here, with tremendous information.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Thanks for the response, I visited the page in your link. I'm still confused a bit. I see that the IGG score being strong isn't enough to predict Celiac, but I guess I can assume my body doesn't like gluten if I do have a strong IGG count? Can anyone tell me if a IGG score of 90 is very strong or can that be just a mild reaction?

Hi folks, any help here would be so greatly appreciated. Here is my story, about 6 years ago I experienced some massive stress and shortly there after had some extremely unpleasent stomach problems mostly nausea, strange yellowish foul smelling stool, tiredness and weight loss but also on several occasions a reaction that included shortness of breath followed by extreme vomiting. This lead me to the doctor and a 2 month long stomach condition that was later written off as stress induced IBS after having every test in the book. However at one point I was told I had tested positive for Celiac, this was later dropped after my Gastro Dr took a biopsy and said test results weren't strong. I've been better since but never really the same. For a short time I was on the gluten free diet but after feeling better I stopped it since my gastro doc said don't worry about it.

Well here I am today feeling really really tired with weight loss and having some similar stomach movements as before, all after a massive stress issue. I've had a CT scan which showed nothing and all other tests seem fine except for a Epstein Bar positive that looks to be long past its infectious period. So anyway I asked my doc about that Celiac test from years before and she gave me the results which I never looked at before. Needless to say it looks like I need to look more into this.

GLIADIN AB IGA = 9

GLIADIN AB IGG =90

I am really puzzled by this IGG 90 score, thats a strong positive from what I'm reading here on the test results. From what I've read this 90 should be pretty definitive that I have an intolerance to gluten or at the least a strong allergy to it. Can anyone enlighten me with thoughts. I've read that some people only experience their gluten intolerance after stress, is this possible?

Dan

Dan, I don't know whether you might have celiac disease or not. There is a normal range for gliadin antibodies and if your results are higher than that, then you should get an IgA antibody and antiendomysium AB. This goes like this: if you are found to have normal IgA blood antibodies levels, and then, the antiendomysial antobody comes negative your might not have celiac disease but if it does result in a positive level you are celiac. I have read that antiendomysial antibody is the most specific test (high specificity means no other disease can show positive antiendomysial antibodies, so it is almost unique for celiac disease) however, the sensibility is quite low (sensibility is the power of the test to dectect the disease) since you might have IgA deficiency. I hope this helps you.