Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Donna F

What Makes Reeses Pb Cups Non-gf?

If emulsifiers and stabilizers are gluten-free, then I am truly perplexed as to why Reeses Peanutbutter Cups are no longer gluten-free. Am I wrong? - PLEASE TELL ME I'M WRONG - I really miss those things ! I read the ingrediets for the heck of it while waiting in a checkout line, and, well, I think I'm pretty good at reading labels now, and I couldn't find anything that would make it gluten-filled. The only thing I didn't know about was the 'emulsifiers'.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

-donna (craving a reeses at this very moment -gotta love pregnancy!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I sure hope they didn't change if they did do you know when they changed? I haven't had them for about 4 months but last I knew they were gluten-free.

The last time I spoke to someone from the CSA, I was told that they were taking the peanut butter cups off the gluten-free list b/c they were no longer gluten-free. She didn't specify why.

I still have their 800# - I didn't even think to call. I don't know if they are open on weekends, but I'll give them a try......

nope M-F, 9-5....shoot! Btw, the # is 1-877-272-4272 is anyone is interested - they put out a gluten-free listing of mainstream products every year. Don't know if the new edition is even out yet though, as they went to congress around the time they normally publish it.

I'll let you know Monday when I call, unless someone here can enlighten me in the mean time. If they ARE gluten-free, 'll be at the corner store in no time!

Thanks,

-donna

They are gluten-free.

I ignore the CSA. They're the ones who once told us to avoid annatto and also fought against the food-labeling bill. Their current president tried to torpedo the bill at the last minute.

richard

Guest Viola

I eat them quite a bit as well. I haven't heard anything about them being removed from the Gluten Free list :o I sure hope not! They really are handy when one is stuck in town without lunch :D

Guest gillian502

I have always avoided them based on the fact that a year ago, some Reeses packages listed wheat where others did not. Since then I haven't felt comfortable trusting their labeling. Maybe they were not gluten-free last year and now are, I don't know for sure.

Regular Reese's PB cups have been gluten-free since I was diagnosed more than three years ago. That's never changed. There are different flavors and I think at least once contains cookies type pieces, but that's plainly listed.

richard

I called on these quite a while ago and was told they were gluten-free. Have been eating them for about 3 years with no problem until recently. However, I think I'm developing a reaction to peanuts and peanut butter. I get blisters on the end of my nose, around the nostrils...really strange place whenever I eat peanuts or peanut butter anymore.

I LOVE Reese cups, too :o(

Guest gillian502

I guess the particular Reeces that mentioned wheat must've been that cookie kind, then, because it was definitley on the ingredients. I didn't even notice they made that type of reeces.

The mini ones usually only have wheat in them at holidays. I always check before buying and only encountered it at holiday time.

I found some small heart shaped reeses pb at valentines day that had wheat flour in them. They were wrapped in the foil, not the plastic. Just teaches us that we ALWAYS need to read labels!! Hershey is a company where I feel very confident reading their labels and knowing if I can have the food.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest gillian502

I knew I must have seen that somewhere...so there IS wheat flour on their labels from time to time...that's why I avoid them altogether. I figure there must be a pretty big chance of cross contamination going on there if that's the case.

The big ones are fine, the ones you have to be worried about are the varriations on the big ones like minis and holiday ones, I eat the big ones everyday w/out any problem

Guest gillian502

When I can, I'll give them a call and question the cross-contamintion issue, and ask if they are run on dedicated lines. If I hear anything I'll let you all know.:) You've got me curious now.

Dianegf,

The list on celiac.com for candies is very incomplete. It merely gives you an idea of what's gluten-free--a couple candies for starters, but there are many far more extensive lists of gluten-free candy because really there's so much of it that we can have. Around Halloween, I got a list from Jessica's USA Silly Yaks support group that was extremely long--then I realized what a variety we really can have.