Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lizz7711

Hot Dogs Or Marshmallows?

I cannot find a hot dog that does not cause problems. WEllshire gluten free all beef are the latest attempt--now i'm dealing with the usual gluten meltdown. It's either that or the Kraft jet-puffed marshmallows, with blue #1. But they have never caused this reaction before.

anyone else experience problems with either one?

thanks,

Liz

Liz

Positive enterolab results 11/07:

-antigliadin IgA: 56 (normal <10)

-antitissue tTG IgA: 39 (normal <10)

-anti-casein IgA: 34 (normal <10)

-HLA-DQ: 2,1 (2,6)

Positive blood test IgA and IgG 12/07

Gluten-free Casein-free since 12/07

mostly soy free since 12/07

Diagnosed with adrenal fatigue 08/07

Diagnosed hypothyroid 01/08

Still have mercury fillings, high mercury and lead

Multiple chemical sensitivities

9 year old daughter positive enterolab test for gluten, casein, soy and egg with HLA-DQ 3,1 (7,6)--mostly exhibits behavioral reactions to foods including food dyes, MSG, aspartame

Mother passed away 3 years ago of adenocarcinoma of unknown primary. Two years prior had diarrhea causing her to weigh 86 pounds...Mayo clinic told her to take pepto bismol. NO test for celiac, lifelong hx of ulcers, osteoporosis. I now know she had the celiac gene (my dad has DQ1) and was probably undiagnosed her whole life.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I found that we have been getting glutened from Kraft shredded cheese. It is the only thing that my daughter ate regularly to cause her numbers to stay elevated. Anyway the reason I am telling you this is that when I talked to Kraft they stated as always that the clearly marked gluten on their packages but when I pushed further about cc they would not garuntee that anything they make is gluten-free. They just said that the mark the packages. Although I have talked to them a few different times and the answer is always just a little different. However this last time they wouldn't committ to anything, when I took her off of Kraft cheese, her numbers, which we have been struggling with for awhile now, drop 30 points in one month. Good luck and I hope you find some answers.

Melissa

Diagnosed Fibromyalgia March 2007

Mom to Katharine, 5 years old diagnosed Celiac Disease Sept 2006

Peanut allergy

Michael 3 years old diagnosed infant reflux at 6 weeks

Dairy Soy allergy until 22 months

Neg blood tests and biopsy Feb 2008

Positive gluten-free dietary response

You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.

Margaret Thatcher

Fall down seven times stand up eight.

"I've decided that after air, water, and dirt, the next most common substance on the planet must be gluten!"

Toni Nolte, Overland Park, Kansas

There is some chemical in some processed foods that I have a horrible reaction to. Maybe all the hot dogs you've tried have one thing in common?

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Make sure it doesn't say "modified food starch" on the ingredients list. ALmost all brands do. I can't remember what kind I normally buy - but I do know we have never had a problem when we avoid the "not sure" ingredients like "food starch, spices, flavorings.etc..." pretty much anything that is not listed outright. WE have never had a problem with any kind of marshmallow.

In more than 7 years I've found just one hot dog that wasn't gluten-free, and that was Nathan's. The wheat in it is clearly marked.

I've never found a regular marshmallow that isn't gluten-free.

That's not a guarantee that there couldn't be CC. Few facilities are completely gluten-free, although a number of lines within the facility might be. In addition, manufacturers obviously don't have complete control over any ingredient they don't make themselves.

richard

"Make sure it doesn't say "modified food starch" on the ingredients list. "

In the U.S. modified food starch from wheat would have to list wheat. I guess that technically it could be made from barley or rye, but I've never seen it or heard of it. MFS is almost always corn or perhaps tapioca.

richard

We've tried 3 different kinds of hot dogs (Hebrew National, Ball Park, and I think the first was Boar's Head - all gluten free) and my son has had diarrhea the next day. As we've only been gluten-free since Dec. and still learning every day, I wasn't sure if it was really the hotdogs or if it was something else. After the last try I have decided there's a pretty good chance there is something in hotdogs that doesn't agree with him (I don't believe any of the hotdogs had gluten from CC or otherwise, but something else he doesn't like). He's never been a huge hotdog fan and still isn't, so it's no big deal for us. I just thought I'd pass along our experience.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I don't think it's a gluten thing with the hot dogs...most hot dogs list "spice" or "natural flavorings" and this is where i'm guessing it's an MSG issue with my daughter. I've looked at the ingedients for Hebrew National and I can't remember what it was but I know there is something in them that I wouldn't buy...

My daughter reacts alot to food colorings...usually red and yellow, and I think there's only a little blue#1 in marshmallows...but I'm guessing that's it, combined perhaps with the "spice " in the hot dogs she had that day.

We also both had gluten-free brownies from whole foods last week that were delicious, but gave us both irritability...they use soy flour so that was probably the culprit there.

It gets tiring always trying to figure out which little ingredient is causing the problems besides gluten!

Liz

Positive enterolab results 11/07:

-antigliadin IgA: 56 (normal <10)

-antitissue tTG IgA: 39 (normal <10)

-anti-casein IgA: 34 (normal <10)

-HLA-DQ: 2,1 (2,6)

Positive blood test IgA and IgG 12/07

Gluten-free Casein-free since 12/07

mostly soy free since 12/07

Diagnosed with adrenal fatigue 08/07

Diagnosed hypothyroid 01/08

Still have mercury fillings, high mercury and lead

Multiple chemical sensitivities

9 year old daughter positive enterolab test for gluten, casein, soy and egg with HLA-DQ 3,1 (7,6)--mostly exhibits behavioral reactions to foods including food dyes, MSG, aspartame

Mother passed away 3 years ago of adenocarcinoma of unknown primary. Two years prior had diarrhea causing her to weigh 86 pounds...Mayo clinic told her to take pepto bismol. NO test for celiac, lifelong hx of ulcers, osteoporosis. I now know she had the celiac gene (my dad has DQ1) and was probably undiagnosed her whole life.