Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

one more mile

What Did I Eat?

I went to a dinner, my second time out since going gluten free. I had scrambled eggs, home fries and a double order of bacon. 40 minutes later I had to find a bathroom, 25 hours later my gut is hard as a rock. I am in a little pain but not much.

What did I eat? I thought those were all safe foods?

ONE MORE MILE

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

They are safe if you cooked them yourself and confirmed that all ingredients were gluten free.

If the fries were dropped into a fryer, it is likely a "shared" fryer with other gluten coated foods. The eggs could have been scrambled in a pan or on a hot surface that was also used to make pancakes or such. Some places actually add pancake batter to the eggs to make them "fluffy". The bacon could have malt as an ingredient or even some type of gluten that they add. You have to read the ingredients on bacon t make sure and sometimes you even have to call the manufacturer just to be certain. Applegate farms makes some that are marked gluten free.

When you eat out, you have to ASK A TON OF QUESTIONS to protect yourself. Calling ahead is a good idea. Or if they have a website. Best to stick to restaurants that actually have a gluten free menu.

If you are invited to someone's home, bring a dish that is SAFE for you to make sure you can eat.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

where I live "home fries" are usually cooked on a grill or in a skillet, not deep-fried. But many food service home-fries may not be gluten-free (way before I was gluten-free I had a reaction to home fries and thought maybe it was msg, now I'm pretty sure it was gluten).

Basically, for safe dining you have to tell your restaurant & server that you are a gluten-free diner, and remind them what that means (I say something like "no wheat, including flour, bread, pasta and most soy sauce. no barley, including miso and anything malt. no rye. I can have everything else, including rice and corn"). There is so much hidden gluten, especially in 'food service' type food (vs. fine dining). It does help to try to choose items that the restaurant doesn't have to change to make it gluten-free, but this is *not* a substitute for self-identifying as a gluten-free diner.

One example of a restricted diner's (gluten-free and also no fish, no nuts, no dairy...) protocol for dining out is here

It *is* possible to eat out gluten-free, it's just a little more involved, especially when you're getting used to giving 'the speech'.

gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007

3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)

suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies

Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

Not all home fries are gluten free. If the potatoes came frozen, they might not be. Some bacon is not gluten free. Did you eat at a chain restaurant? If so, they likely were not safe. We can not eat at Denny's because there is so much crap in their food it's unbelievable. I think the only safe choices there are a green salad and applesauce.

My undiagnosed dd is trying to go gluten-free/vegan. She works after school at a restaurant, got hungry and ate fries. The next morning she had 2 gut aches before school. She said they deep fry everything in the same oil. She has Ritz sometimes and they don't bother her...yet. The restaurant also deep fries wheat tortillas for taco salad bowls. She can tell when she eats right and when she doesn't. I am glad she wants to do this all on her own. My other dd is gluten intolerant.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28