Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

driedupfish

Short Stature...

Well I am going get tested for Celiac Disease in November, I don't have any symptoms, except that I am quite short. I am about the same height as my father. Up until I was 14, I was about the same height as my peers, then years went by many are taller than me. So from what I've describe, should I be worried that my lack of growth is due to malnourishment?

I think that if Celiac is the cause of short stature then I should be smaller than my peers when I was little, but like I said we were about the same size before 14.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

When a young persons growth is stunted from celiac depends on when they developed the problem. Usually when you have a young adult with growth stunting you can see shortened long bones in the thighs and arms. In other words they seem out of proportion with the rest of the body. Did you go through a growth spurt? Have they done an xray to check where your growth plates are in development? Are you having any issues at all other than feeling you are too short? Even stuff that doesn't seem related like headaches, skin problems, bone and muscle pain, trouble concentrating, depression or anxiety.

I believe everyone should be tested and you may also want to ask to see an endocrinologist if you feel your growth has been stunted. Celiac and other disorders can effect the growth hormones in some cases and if that has happened if you go soon enough, before the growth plates have fused, supplementation can be done IF you are deficient in those particular hormones. Only an endocrinologist and his testing can tell you if that is an issue.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Well I am going get tested for Celiac Disease in November, I don't have any symptoms, except that I am quite short.

Short stature is what prompted me to get my son tested for Celiac (after many other investigations proved negative). He had no GI symptoms or outward reactions to gluten. He did have a distended belly.

He was indeed confirmed to have Celiac (blood test followed by endoscopy).

Good luck to you.

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005