Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

still.joyful

Dairy Free Frosting (no Palm Or Soybean Oil)

Hi All,

I'm having some problems finding a dairy/gluten free frosting recipe that doesn't contain palm or soybean oil, as I am very sensitive to those oils (I can have canola and olive though). For instance, I used to use Earth Balance but I couldn't handle it...any suggestions? Usually I have to resort to a simple glaze...but I'd really love a great frosting recipe :).

Sophie :)

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh, and the greatness which does not bow before children."

Kahlil Gibrain

23 y/o

April '09 tested positive for HLA DQ-8 gene

Sesame Seed Allergy, Lactose Intolerant

Diagnosed with IBS in 2001, diagnosed with asthma in 1989

Gallbladder removed in 2007

Gluten-Free diet started Aug 19 2008

Current diet: Gluten free, low sugar, little dairy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We do the glaze too. I suppose you could use coconut oil. Or there is a recipe on the Enjoy Life chocolate chips for making frosting. I think you just melt them and glend in some rice milk. I've never made it but my friend did and it was good according to my daughter.

We do the glaze too. I suppose you could use coconut oil. Or there is a recipe on the Enjoy Life chocolate chips for making frosting. I think you just melt them and glend in some rice milk. I've never made it but my friend did and it was good according to my daughter.

mmm, good idea! once i'm off my sugar fast, i'm gonna make some cake or cookies, just to try that :)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Here is a great/fun web site for most any allergy recipe including frosting :D

http://www.allergygrocer.com/id728.html

click on recipes...then frostings

Here is another I just found:

http://glutenfreesoyfreevegan.blogspot.com

click on substitutes. Cashew Cream Frosting

It has coconut milk, dates, cashews and vanilla. Simple and good sounding.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Here is a great/fun web site for most any allergy recipe including frosting :D

http://www.allergygrocer.com/id728.html

click on recipes...then frostings

Here is another I just found:

http://glutenfreesoyfreevegan.blogspot.com

click on substitutes. Cashew Cream Frosting

It has coconut milk, dates, cashews and vanilla. Simple and good sounding.

Thanks so much!!! :)

Sophie :)

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh, and the greatness which does not bow before children."

Kahlil Gibrain

23 y/o

April '09 tested positive for HLA DQ-8 gene

Sesame Seed Allergy, Lactose Intolerant

Diagnosed with IBS in 2001, diagnosed with asthma in 1989

Gallbladder removed in 2007

Gluten-Free diet started Aug 19 2008

Current diet: Gluten free, low sugar, little dairy.

Thanks so much!!! :)

Any time...they sure sound yummy :P

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Since there are similarities between palm oil and coconut oil, I wonder if you can have coconut oil?

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Happy Birthday Sophie!!! B)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Since my kids are allergic to dairy, and sensitive to soy.... we use a dairy free/soy free margarine. It's called Mother's - and it's Kosher for Passover, so I'm not sure you can buy it "just anywhere" or at any time of the year. I stock up and put it in the freezer. Obviously, this probably won't help you NOW.... but for future reference....

Anyhow, it's made from cottonseed oil. Certainly not the healthiest stuff on the earth, but it works in a pinch. I've made buttercream frosting using it, with orange juice rather than milk or water, and it's worked great. Tasted pretty good too!

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

I've made 7-minute icing from just egg whites, boiling water, and plain sugar (not even powdered!) It tastes a little bit like marshmellow fluff and it better for you than your average icing. The jist of it is that you add boiling h20 to the sugar and egg white mixture and beat it with a mixer for 7 minutes. look online for an exact recipe. I think the one I used called for cream of tartar too. You could also add chocolate or food coloring.

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

I've made 7-minute icing from just egg whites, boiling water, and plain sugar (not even powdered!) It tastes a little bit like marshmellow fluff and it better for you than your average icing. The jist of it is that you add boiling h20 to the sugar and egg white mixture and beat it with a mixer for 7 minutes. look online for an exact recipe. I think the one I used called for cream of tartar too. You could also add chocolate or food coloring.

I found this one the other day, similar to the one you mentioned. Its from Taste of Home Quick Cooking, created by Georgie Bohmann. A variation of of the classic 7-minute frosting.

Fluffy White Frosting

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 egg whites

1/3 cup water

1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a heavy saucepan or double broiler, combine sugar, egg whites, water and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat mixture on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low speed until frosting reaches 160 degrees, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into a large mixing bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high speed until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes.