Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've read somewhere that people with celiac disease can also be sensitive to this ingredient (not that it contains gluten, but that we are more likely to just be sensitive to it, like to flavored coffee, which I am very sensitive to.) Anyway, my son is having a "glutened" reaction going right now (actually, just the DH symptoms and not all the GI and neuro ones, strangely enough) and the only thing I can trace the reaction to might be the annatto. Does anyone else have this kind of reaction to this ingredient? My other celiac disease child doesn't seem to be reacting (or isn't overtly enough atm to draw herself away from the GameCube. :rolleyes: )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest gillian502

The latest I heard on annato, it's fine, but I did read in a relatively recently published gluten free cookbook I have that annato can sometimes be "stretched using wheat starch" or something of that nature. Now, I don't think this is true really, but it's right there in the gluten-free cookbook, so it did get me a little worried. I'm going to look deeper into it when I speak to my special nutritionist at the U of MD Celiac Research Center in April. If they ok it, I'm comfortable with that.

I've never seen any evidence annatto is stretched by wheat gluten. It's just simply gluten-free. Which cookbook is this and did this info come from CSA?

I've also never seen any evidence people with celiac would be more sensitive to it. Some people apparently are sensitive, but that includes people without celiac disease.

richard

A lot of people below the age of 6 and above the age on 70 no matter if they are celiac or not, can be sensitive to it, I know I was when I was a little kid, it made me horribly sick, IS one of your children under 6 and is he the one with the reaction?