This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Test Results, Autoimmune Illness Questions

meg2

meg2 Newbie

Hello again. First, let me apologize if I am not following proper forum etiquette! I had included my test results on my original post, hoping for some interpretation. But I didn't get any feedback, so I thought I'd just try once more.

The results seem to indicate that I don't have celiac. And as I mentioned before, I almost feel guilty asking questions because my symptoms aren't so bad! But, I am always worried that there is some kind of connection between my autoimmune type symptoms. Therefore, when my doctor tested me for celiac, I looked into it and thought, wow, something that would explain everything. If it came back positive and I stopped eating foods with gluten, I might feel better. (And of course, I can always try the gluten free diet to see what happens, which I may do.)

I hate, though, sounding like a hypochondriac. In reading through this board, I realize that there are a lot of folks out there with much more difficult to deal with symptoms. Just to quickly list mine, in case someone out there would like to help me connect the dots, here goes:

low thyroid

vitiligo (all over body, I am very pale skinned but with a tiny bit of sun this summer it's much much more noticeable.)

cataracts

muscle aches, joint aches

occasional weakness (I've attributed this to the fact that I lift 2 toddlers all day)

fatigue (I've attributed this to the fact that my 13 1/2 mo. old just started sleeping through the night about a week ago)

mouth sores

chipping teeth

nausea

occasional d., accompanied by cramping

occasional c.

So overall I've just been joking I'm prematurely aging. If anyone has any ideas, would love to hear them. As I said, I am overall very healthy. My blood work is below.

IGA, Serum 228 mg/dL

Gliadin AB (IGA) 3 U/mL

Tissue Transglutaminase AB IGA <3 U/mL

And thanks once again for humoring me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizard00 Enthusiast

Welcome to the board!!!

Um... there are some definite Celiac symptoms going on.

Is this your first child? Have you just started to recently developing these problems? (Like as in, after the birth of your child?)

My Celiac was most likely triggered by my pregnancy. If that was the case for you, it's still relatively new. As I understand, the blood tests work when there is severe damage. Maybe you just aren't at the point yet. My son was about 1 1/2 when I started feeling bad. It took me about a year to figure it all out.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You do sound like you should give the diet a good strict try. For folks to be able to interpret test results we need to see the reference ranges on the tests. Different labs have differing ranges. Keep in mind though that 30% of us do not show up in blood work so a dietary trial will most likely give you more info. Give the diet a good strict try. You have found a place for a lot of support and information, ask any question or vent when needed.

MLB Apprentice

I don't have celiac, "just" gluten intolerance. I tested negative on the celiac blood tests, but I tested positive through Enterolab stool testing and also through Elisa food allergy blood testing. I also found out I'm allergic to dairy, eggs and soy (and banans, almonds and garlic). :( This all started after the birth of my third child 3 years ago. I had/have all kinds of "hypochoncriac" symptoms. I am doing so much better on the diet. I'm not 100%, but I'd say I'm about 75% better than I was 3 months ago so that is huge for me. I'd highly recommend the food allergy testing because initially I just cut out gluten and I was upset that I wasn't feeling much better, but once I got tested and cut out all the other stuff, that's when I really started getting better. Good luck to you!

Nancym Enthusiast

More doctors are starting to realize that a dietary trial is the best way to detect gluten intolerance. Have you tried it?

wowzer Community Regular

I would give the diet a try. My bloodwork came out negative, but I still tried it anyway. I had so many symptoms disappear when I went gluten free. I do have a little sister that is a diagnosed celiac. I think my problem was DH. I had so many itchy rashes that were diagnosed from impetago to poison ivy. Good luck and keep us posted. Wendy

meg2 Newbie

Good morning and thanks to those of you trying to help me figure this out.

I've been away, just having a chance to look through some of these answers. In terms of the onset of more noticeable symptoms, my low thyroid was diagnosed before i had children, but the rest of the symptoms have all increased or changed since the birth of the 2nd. (They're 2 1/2 years and 13 1/2 months) I'm almost 40.

I'll put the reference range for my test below.

I am planning on trying the diet. I would like to just avoid everything that is questionable for however long it's recommended, then add it back to see what happens. Is that correct? And where would I find a good list of all the ingredients to look for so I can make sure to avoid them? And then how long before I add it back to test how I feel? I tried to find something like this on the site but there's so much info here.

Here's the testing info.

IGA, Serum 228 mg/dL (81-463)

Gliadin AB (IGA) 3 U/mL (<11)

Reference Range < 11 Negative

11 - 17 equivocal

>17 positive

Tissue Transglutaminase AB IGA <3 U/mL (<5)

Reference Range

<5 negative

5 - 8 equivocal

>8 positive

This test was done at a quest diagnostic lab.

I mean, it does all seem to say it's a negative result.

Anyway once again I just say thanks to the experts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

susanm Apprentice

I would check with an endocrinologist about your adrenal function. The reason I'm mentioning this is the odd tanning or vitiligo that you're mentioning and the fatigue. Do you crave salty foods? How is your blood pressure? Have you lost a lot of weight? If you can say yes to all 3 things, have your adrenals checked out.

I have Addison's disease, but I've also tested positive for antigliadins. I'm just waiting for my endoscopy to be formally diagnosed with celiac. What I've heard is that hidden celiac disease can cause poor adrenal function. Adrenal insufficiency can also cause nausea.

jennyo Newbie
I don't have celiac, "just" gluten intolerance. I tested negative on the celiac blood tests, but I tested positive through Enterolab stool testing and also through Elisa food allergy blood testing. I also found out I'm allergic to dairy, eggs and soy (and banans, almonds and garlic). :( This all started after the birth of my third child 3 years ago. I had/have all kinds of "hypochoncriac" symptoms. I am doing so much better on the diet. I'm not 100%, but I'd say I'm about 75% better than I was 3 months ago so that is huge for me. I'd highly recommend the food allergy testing because initially I just cut out gluten and I was upset that I wasn't feeling much better, but once I got tested and cut out all the other stuff, that's when I really started getting better. Good luck to you!

How did you find out about the stool and food allergy tests? Did your GI have to order them?

meg2 Newbie
I would check with an endocrinologist about your adrenal function. The reason I'm mentioning this is the odd tanning or vitiligo that you're mentioning and the fatigue. Do you crave salty foods? How is your blood pressure? Have you lost a lot of weight? If you can say yes to all 3 things, have your adrenals checked out.

I have Addison's disease, but I've also tested positive for antigliadins. I'm just waiting for my endoscopy to be formally diagnosed with celiac. What I've heard is that hidden celiac disease can cause poor adrenal function. Adrenal insufficiency can also cause nausea.

Thanks Susan for this information. I actually do have low blood pressure,but it's always been low. And I have fainted occasionally. And I love salt, though I suppose gradually I've been adding more and more. Of course, a lot of these symptoms could be coincidental. I definitely have vitiligo, not darkening. Also, I have definitely not been losing weight. :(

I suppose it's worth questioning at my next checkup. But here's a question - Susan, or others familiar, might have the answer. I had my son last summer, so at the beginning of the prenatal care I had all those blood tests. Although all my symptoms have become more noticeable in the last year since he was born, they all were present before I was pregnant. So wouldn't the adrenal problem, if there is one, have been picked up before? Hmmmm, unless it doesn't always show up in the bloodwork.

Well, I am trying to avoid gluten as much as possible, have yet to be able to tell a difference. But time will tell.

Thanks again.

nora-n Rookie

About adrenal problems, doctors are mostly just looking for complete addison, not partial adrenal failure like yours.

They really think that anyone not coming in with an ambulance could have any adrenal problems...

But on the thyroid forums we know they come in all shades, and some adrenal weakness is quite common together with hypothyroidism. Some doctors routly test for weak adrenals and give adrenal support in the beginning of treatment for thyroid problems (the adrenals may be exhausted from making up for the low thyroid function for years, but can heal after some months with support and proper thyroid hormone supplementation)

Your symptoms are typical for adrenal weakness.

And, jsut google adrenal and thyroid, or look for it in www.pubmed.com

nora

meg2 Newbie

Thank you Nora for the information about adrenal weakness. I've been doing a little research and I see what you mean about some traditional drs not taking it seriously. And yet . . . still the symptoms exist. Mine do seem to match up. I've made an appointment with my GP to go over these issues. I told them I want to get the RAST food allergy testing, which a friend with a gluten intolerant toddler told me about. Also, that I want talk about testing my adrenal function. We'll see what he says about that. . . I also want them to check me for anemia and for B12 absorption I guess it is.

I did try to do a very short gluten challenge. I did 3 days very strictly (of course with a couple of learning curves) and on the 4th day my husband made pasta for dinner while I was up at church. So I tried it - and low and behold, there were my tummy symptoms again! While I was "off" gluten, I didn't have any aching hips and knees at night either. It was a distinct difference. Also noticed I was much less sleepy (though that may have to do with carb reduction also)

My thought is that I probably have intolerance or a food allergy or some such. After my dr. appt I plan to go gluten free for a basic lifestyle. Would like to "cheat" at holidays and such - anyone with my situation (ie: not celiac) do that? Any thoughts??

Obviously, I'll discuss these things with the pediatrician too, to get appropriate tests for the littles.

Alright thanks again - really appreciate all the feedback and would love to hear anyone's thoughts about my gluten challenge.

ShayFL Enthusiast

You may discover the hard way that "cheating" doesnt make a vacation or holiday more fun....it ruins it. I dont cheat. I am not Celiac. I dont want vertigo and a migraine for Christmas. :(

meg2 Newbie
You may discover the hard way that "cheating" doesnt make a vacation or holiday more fun....it ruins it. I dont cheat. I am not Celiac. I dont want vertigo and a migraine for Christmas. :(

I totally understand what you're saying - I'm sure that mentioning that idea sounded kind of dumb! I've never had a migraine but I'd hate to start now. . . .

What would you say about my gluten free trial? Does it suggest anything to you?

ShayFL Enthusiast

It was a short trial, but is suggestive of gluten issues. Could be Celiac, intolerance or allergy. You would need to stay off for a few months. Or continue to eat it like crazy and get all of the tests.

Archived