Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

terryjean

Progresso Soup?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Terry-anytime you have any questions feel free to ask :D The whole General Mills line will not hide any gluten in their products.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that they won't necessarily identify whether the product has been subject to cross-contamination during its manufacture.

My wife picked up a can of Progresso Traditional Chicken and Wild Rice because it did not declare wheat in the ingredients. Just to be safe I checked out their web site, which (more good news smile.gif) does explicitly declare which of their products are gluten free; it wasn't in that list.

I called their customer service line, gave them the UPC, date and date code (the usual). When the rep came back she told me that it is not considered gluten free because it may have been processed in a facility where it was subject to gluten contamination. I applaud their efforts to inform and even their labeling, but this incident is yet one more piece of evidence that we simply cannot rely on ingredient declarations on labels. mad.gif

That's the good news.

The bad news is that they won't necessarily identify whether the product has been subject to cross-contamination during its manufacture.

My wife picked up a can of Progresso Traditional Chicken and Wild Rice because it did not declare wheat in the ingredients. Just to be safe I checked out their web site, which (more good news smile.gif) does explicitly declare which of their products are gluten free; it wasn't in that list.

I called their customer service line, gave them the UPC, date and date code (the usual). When the rep came back she told me that it is not considered gluten free because it may have been processed in a facility where it was subject to gluten contamination. I applaud their efforts to inform and even their labeling, but this incident is yet one more piece of evidence that we simply cannot rely on ingredient declarations on labels. mad.gif

This thread is ancient history in product time. for the last few years (2?). Progresso has made some gluten-free soups ( in the US). They are clearly labelled gluten-free. The others may be OK but they are only labelling the ones they take extra care to make.