Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blood work neg on gluten-free diet but still need to know for relatives and peace of mind. Is Enterolab accurate? Do you trust them? Did your insurance pay?

Thank you!!!

Leslie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I haven't used them, but others have and loved them. Also, you might get a positive result using them, even if bloodwork gave you negative results. Again, people who have received positive results and tried the diet have felt so much better--others will likely say the same, but--yes, Enterolab is good--no insurance coverage, though.

Leslie,

I will tell you my experience with testing and maybe it will help you decide about EnteroLab. I had negative blood tests and an inconclusive biopsy. I did the EnteroLab tests a couple of weeks before I had the other tests done. My stool tests were positive for gluten sensitivity, moderate damage from malabsorption, and casein intolerant. I went on the gluten-free diet and dairy free diet by the insistence of my GI doctor. I have been on the diet for one year now. I continued to have severe diarrhea so my GI sent me to see Doctor Shiller at Baylor Medical Center in Dallas. He considered him one of the best in the world in treating this problem. I saw him three weeks ago and he officialy diagnosed me with Celiac and Microsopic colitis.

I asked him his opinion of the test results from Dr. Fine, and he told me that he had no doubt in his mind that the test results were reliable, and will be in the near future accepted by the medical community. He said that Dr. Fine had been a researcher, instructor and doctor at Baylor, and that he knows him personally. I had been very skeptical, and I guess I wanted him to tell me that I didn't have Celiac, but that didn't happen. I know now that I have to be very strict with the diet.

I no longer have diarrhea, anemia, and I have gained weight since I have been on the diet. One year ago, I could not get out of bed somedays, because of the severe joint pain. So anyway, I have two good doctors that do believe in Dr. Fine. Yes, my insurance did pay, but not for the genetic testing. Good Luck!

Beverly

Guest barbara3675

OHMYGOSH, Beverly----what you have just said is SO important for those of us that have been only tested by Enterolab and are going on those results. I am one of those. Thank you so much for replying with what your doctors have said about the reliability of Dr. Fine. I have read about him and he seems to be very dedicated to what he is doing in the this field of medicine. Enterolab was very professional handling things with me. The test kit arrived quickly, my questions were answered swiftly, and the test results came on email inside of two weeks. I think it was money well spent and I didn't try to collect from my insurance. I did the complete test with gene testing. Although I don't have damage, I have an intolerance and eat gluten-free/cf as they said I have an intolerance to casein. Sure explains a lot of things and I feel so much better now. I just got back from a trip in which I flew on an airplane. I used to get so sick when I flew and this time I felt great. I KNOW it was because I don't eat gluten now. I have had many episodes on land when I have gotten so sick after eating major gluten foods and then traveled........had to go right to bed because I was so sick. I just know it was the gluten. Just never put it all together......this has gone on for YEARS, I am 59!!!!!! Good to have answers at last.

Barbara