This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Calcium And Magnesium Supplements

Genie75

Genie75 Rookie

Anyone know of any good calcium and magnesium supplements?

I was taking a really good natural product that came in capsules, and it really helped for me PMS a lot. However, since I have developed this pain in the side I have had to stop taking them because I get that pain in the left side (colon spasms) when I take them.

Anyone know of any, preferably liquid calcium, that is not too prone to reactions?

Also, magnesium as well.

I did read that for IBS one should not take calcium and magnesium at the same time

I bought some liquid calcium and Vitamin D at LD today, and I am going to try to sneak it into my blender drinks in the morning and hope I get no pain in the left side.

If anyone has had experience with a good liquid calcium let me know.

Thanx, Janet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

I like Liquid Health. The calcium has the right ratio of magnesium plus other supportive nutrients. It doesnt have the best form of vitamin D (doesnt convert well) so supplement with D3 as well.

Open Original Shared Link

YoloGx Rookie

I use E-zorb, which is calcium aspartate anhydrous. I believe it is made from plants. Its extremely absorpable (90%) and as far as I know there are no adverse reactions. I use magnesium citrate powder from Now. I have also used their magnesium carbonate powder.

I also highly suggest taking either marshmallow root caps or slippery elm--or both to help heal and soothe the villi. Bromelain/papain caps will also help aid digestion plus reduce inflammation in the intestines.

You should probably also not eat uncooked vegetables, highly spiced or fried foods and for now avoid nuts and seeds, especially if they are unsprouted--until the lining of your gut becomes more thoroughly healed.

Bea

larry mac Enthusiast

Don't have any issues similar to yours. But I've done some research on Magnesium/Potassium suppliments specific to Celiacs (and when I was diagnosed, I was also deficient in Potassium), and I use Country Life Target-Mins Magnesium Potassium Aspartate (with other Target-Mins Chelates).

It contains Target-Mins Magnesium as Magnesium aspartate, oxide, citrate, taurinate, and alpha ketoglutarate.

And Target-Mins Potassium as potassium aspartate, citrate, and alpha-ketoglutarate.

Target-Mins (trademark) are complexed with specific free-form amino acids and Krebs Cycle carriers for optimum mineral transport. I haven't a clue what that means, but it sounds really impressive, doesn't it? B)

Plus, get this. Country Life always labels their minerals in elemental weight. Unlike other common suppliments that use those produce scales at Walmart. :rolleyes:

And, there's NO Yeast, corn, wheat, soy, gluten, milk, salt, sugar, preservatives or artificail color. Darn, kind of makes you wonder just what this stuff is made of.

best regards, lm

sickchick Community Regular

I used to take Calcium but it wretched my stomach. I do take Magnesium Citrate tho. :) twice a day!

Make sure you are taking allergen free supplements and vitamins lovelove :)

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I take the calcium/magnesium suppliment by Nature's Bounty and VitD by Nature Made--both appear to be OK by the label, but maybe double check if you're interested. If you're taking a Calcium suppliment of any kind, always take with food or it can really upset your stomach! It's important to take the Ca/Mg together because each helps the body absorb the other. The 3 of them together are like a natural prozac too!

RiceGuy Collaborator

As yolo mentioned, Open Original Shared Link makes powdered magnesium and calcium, in both citrate and carbonate forms. These will blend into drinks pretty easily, thought the carbonate forms are more neutral in taste. The citrate forms will add a citrus sort of taste - sorta lemony. These powders have no other ingredients too, so hopefully you won't have any negative reactions from them.

Adding some vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) would probably be a good idea.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

True about the vitamin D. I usually use cod liver oil but not all can digest it. If you can however its the best since it has omega 3's plus vitamin A.

Many use capsules if they can't take it straight. I use 800 to 1000 IU's a day (usually two teaspoons or one capsule).

Bea

Archived