This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hot Tubbing For Therapy?

elye

elye Community Regular

We are considering purchasing a hot tub, mainly for therapeutic purposes - - DH and I are very active, are now into our forties, and therefore often seem to have sore, stiff, overworked muscles (me in particular). I have read once or twice in the past that hot tubs are very effective at alleviating this kind of pain. It does make sense, hot jets of water pounding on your muscles. I know that massage does help, but I cannot afford a trip to the RMT two or three times a week.

Has anyone used a hot tub successfully for this? It's a lot of money to be dropping, and this is something that will be an important part of our decision. I wish we could have a couple of test sessions at the indoor spa store after a workout! <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

YES! When hubby and I go hiking, we always hit up Gold's Gym afterward. It's so nice on those tired muscles! Also, quite enjoyable at that time of the month ;)

• 2 weeks later...
brendygirl Community Regular

I had a hot tub at my old house. It seemed expensive to heat. I'm sure you can look up average costs of operating them for the size you want. If the jets are strong, it feels great on sore muscles.

I get back pain from celiac, and the most wonderful thing that helped it was sitting in a natural hot spring. I had been poisoned at Perkins on our road trip (they'd put the bun on top of my meat and then taken it off) and luckily, we were driving in Utah the next day and happend upon a sign, "Hot Spring" spray-painted on a piece of board on the side of the road. It was heavenly.

Daxin Explorer

We have a hot tub, and use it almost nightly. Not only is it good for the hydrotherapy aspect, but we get to spend some time together, look up at the stars and just talk.

For my back, and my DWs arms (She an RMT) we use it. It's also nice to sit out there in the morning once the kids are gone to school and enjoy a cup of coffee before we start our day.

As for "wet testing" do not buy from a dealer who will not let you have one. This is VITAL. Much like a car, you would not buy one before you test drive it, why would you lay out the money on something like a hot tub without making sure the jets etc are easily adjusted to you personal comfort.

We've had ours for over a year now, and I do not know what I would do with out it. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

elye Community Regular

Well, we went ahead and took the plunge (no pun intended)....bought a six-seater by Tonga. Just had the electrician over to intall the pony panel and separate breaker switch. I think in anticipation of all this, my calves and hamstrings have been especially tight the last few days.

Cannot wait, now. . . . . and Ryan, you're so right when you say that it can be a great place to socialize and/or reconnect one on one.

You're out there every night? Through those frigid Saskatchewan winters? Wow....yours must be VERY close to the house. . . .. . . . ;):)

Daxin Explorer

We are. It's about 15 feet from the back door. Step right off the back deck an in. We keep it at about 103 in the winter, and down to 100-101 in the summer. It may not be every night as the wind would freeze us to the ground some nights, but any night we can, we are out there.

Archived