This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kids At School Envied My Son's Lunch!

CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

I thought I'd post this because it thrilled me and I know how hard we all struggle with lunch. The other day my son wanted something "hot" for lunch. So my mom said she'd take him lunch and he asked her to stay and eat with him (this is very common at our school - parents or grandparents having lunch with kids). So I made him some Bell Evans chicken nuggets and a patty (he can never decide which to have so often eats both - even though I think they taste identical!), some french fries in the oven with the chicken, a chocolate chip cookie (Whole Foods 365 Days brand), and some mandarin oranges. My mom told me the other kids went nuts over his lunch! They asked him how he got such a great lunch. Mom said as new kids would sit at the table the kids who were already there would say, "Look at his lunch!" and "Look what he got!"

She took him crepes one lunch last year and they all thought those were awesome too, but she said it wasn't as dramatic as this meal!

He's also started taking PB&J on Pamela's pancakes (he LOVES these, I have no idea why I didn't try them sooner) and I think the other parents are going to be getting requests for PB&J on P soon!

I know it shouldn't matter what the other kids think, but there are so many times I feel like he has to be "different" and it isn't necessarily in a good way. I loved it that the others thought he was lucky to be different!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

crunchy-mama Apprentice
I thought I'd post this because it thrilled me and I know how hard we all struggle with lunch. The other day my son wanted something "hot" for lunch. So my mom said she'd take him lunch and he asked her to stay and eat with him (this is very common at our school - parents or grandparents having lunch with kids). So I made him some Bell Evans chicken nuggets and a patty (he can never decide which to have so often eats both - even though I think they taste identical!), some french fries in the oven with the chicken, a chocolate chip cookie (Whole Foods 365 Days brand), and some mandarin oranges. My mom told me the other kids went nuts over his lunch! They asked him how he got such a great lunch. Mom said as new kids would sit at the table the kids who were already there would say, "Look at his lunch!" and "Look what he got!"

She took him crepes one lunch last year and they all thought those were awesome too, but she said it wasn't as dramatic as this meal!

He's also started taking PB&J on Pamela's pancakes (he LOVES these, I have no idea why I didn't try them sooner) and I think the other parents are going to be getting requests for PB&J on P soon!

I know it shouldn't matter what the other kids think, but there are so many times I feel like he has to be "different" and it isn't necessarily in a good way. I loved it that the others thought he was lucky to be different!

crunchy-mama Apprentice

sorry for the messed up post above.

That is great for your son, I bet that was a nice change of pace.

jerseyangel Proficient
I loved it that the others thought he was lucky to be different!

This is very nice to hear! I'm so happy that your son had such a nice lunch--it sounds delicious--no wonder the other kids were envious :D

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

That's awesome! My daughter often takes gluten-free pasta, fresh fruit, and veggie chips... with the occassional gluten-free cookie treat. She tells me that kids always want her lunch... LOL!!!! I find it totally amusing. =)

I think our little Celiac kiddos eat much better lunches, in school, than their "healthy" classmates.

(OK, not intending to mean that our kids aren't healthy... but you kwim!)

ShayFL Enthusiast

For awhile my daughter (12) kept saying we were so weird because of the food we eat. But every friend that has been over to play or stay the night has TOTALLY loved my gluten-free foods. :) They say things like...."Ive never had sweet potatoes before. These are delicious!" and "Can I have more of this or that?"

The food is good. Period.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

We've found the same thing, Shay. His best friend's mom is always offering to send over Lunchables that she will pull the crackers out of when he comes for dinner. I always tell her I'll make sure he has something to eat that he likes and it's never an issue. She was totally shocked when he ate pork tenderloin with pears and mustard sauce. He ate seconds of it! I had another group of kids over this summer and when they sat down to lunch (fresh fruit salad, fresh veggies with dip (carrots, zucchini, cucumbers, peppers), and chicken tenders) one of them said "my mom never makes lunches like this." My son and I looked at her and almost in unison said, "Is that good or bad?" She said "Bad! She just makes sandwiches or something. Nothing this good." And I know we have a long way to go on the healthy food scale (as I sit here eating a leftover piece of chocolate birthday cake!), but I know we are way ahead of the national average!!

On a similar but different note, my mom and I (mostly my mom) threw an 80th birthday party for 50 people for my grandma today that was gluten free except for the buns (which were restricted to outside). Even the birthday cakes were gluten-free, and everyone loved it. I don't think anyone would've known except my mom told everyone they couldn't bring anything. I think she enjoys sharing gluten-free with people and showing them that it does taste good. I just enjoy not having to worry about what my son eats.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived