Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beth in NC

Mexican Meal

I'm going on about 7 weeks gluten-free and want to have our college kids from a Bible study group over for a meal. Myself and my son are now gluten-free, so I thought it might be easy enough without calling too much attention to us. I've got a bum back, so I'm only up for short periods of time, but thought I could have the kids bring things that would be safe to use and share. Anyway, I haven't cooked mexican since going gluten-free and aren't sure of the safe brands.

Can you give me some ideas of safe mexican dishes, etc? I was thinking tacos would be ok? Which taco shells? Seasoning packets? Are any of them gluten-free?

Side dishes?

Thanks.

McCormick's will clearly list any gluten - so you just have to read the label for their taco seasoning packets. Many of them are gluten free and we've used them with great success. They have http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=10595

They also have gluten-free fajita, enchilada, etcl, seasoning.

Corn tortillas are safe.

Refried beans, black beans, rice, etc for side dishes.

Good luck - I'm sure it will be a great success!

For the main dish "burritos", or soft tacos are also an option using corn tortillas as the shell then all the fixings, either browned ground beef, turkey, or chicken seasoned with cumin, garlic, salt, chili powder, or a Mexican seasoning blend, and all the fixings: shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, green onions, black olives, etc.

I've used this Spanish Rice Pilaf for a side dish with Mexican meals:

http://www.neareast.com/#products/spanishricepilaf

The last I checked it was labeled gluten-free, but Near East will list all allergens on their packaging.

I usually make up a big batch of guacamole and severe with corn chips for dipping as another side dish, you can also dip cut up veggies like bell peppers and baby carrots.

McCormick's will clearly list any gluten - so you just have to read the label for their taco seasoning packets. Many of them are gluten free and we've used them with great success. They have http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=10595

They also have gluten-free fajita, enchilada, etcl, seasoning.

Corn tortillas are safe.

Refried beans, black beans, rice, etc for side dishes.

Good luck - I'm sure it will be a great success!

McCormick's is a great brand. Just be aware of the other ingredients - Mission tortillas are safe. Walmart brand beans are NOT (manufactured in the same facility as wheat...but when I was eating beans, I used to just rinse them really well). Just check labels. :)

I love fish tacos. Or steak tacos. Taco salads are great and really easy - just have the ingredients out, and everyone can make their own.

Sides:

jar or homemade salsa

guacamole (homemade is the best, don't know if premade is safe)

corn

enchiladas

rice and beans

fruit tray

layered bean dip

cookies

refried beans

Hard corn shells if you don't want to fry the soft ones

Canned nacho cheese is not safe :(

You could just fix all the toppings and serve with lots of chips, nachos would be easier.

If you wanted nacho cheese you could make your own cheese sauce and add some peppers to spice it up.

..... I was thinking tacos would be ok? Which taco shells? Seasoning packets? Are any of them gluten-free? .....

Yes. The ones without wheat in them. :rolleyes:

best regards, lm

Beth, I know being new to going gluten-free can seem very overwhelming when figuring out what is safe and what is not.

I don't know a specific brand of taco shells, but just be sure to read the labels (wheat ingredients will be listed). I use corn tortillas from the tortilla section, the only ingredients are corn, water, and lime.

If you have any other questions, please ask :)

My favorite Mexican Rice is homemade, but it is SUPER easy, and just as fast as any mix.

4 c. uncooked Minute Rice

4 1/2 c. water

1 can corn, drained

1 can black beans, drained

2 packets gluten-free taco seasoning-- I use Old El Paso

Put water and taco seasoning into a large pot, bring to boil. Add rice, corn, and beans. Stir, cover, and remove from heat. 10 minutes later, stir and Voila- Mexican rice. (Normally, you would add equal amounts of water and rice for Minute rice, but I've found that the beans try and soak up a tiny bit of the water, so I add a little extra.)

If I feel like it, I may then put the mixture in a large baking dish, sprinkle generously with cheddar cheese, and bake just till cheese is melty. Sour cream is really good on top.

I really appreciate all the help!!! I haven't made final decisions yet, but you all have given me tons of ideas...well, MOST of you! :P LARRY!

OK Beth. I dug up one of my recent posts on this topic. I make tacos a lot, and have searched high & low for wheat-less mixes.

best regards, lm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've found quite a few good ones. I usually mix or blend several kinds together.

~ Casa Fiesta Taco Salad seasoning mix.

~ Bearitos Taco seasoning.

~ Wick Fowler's Famous Taco Seasoning Mix.

~ Nueva Cocina Chipotle Taco Beef Seasoning.

~ McCormicK Taco & also Chicken Taco seasoning mix.

~ Walmarts Great Value Taco seasoning.

I don't have any at the moment, but I'm pretty sure Albertson's brand taco seasoning is wheat-free also.

best regards, lm

WOW! I wish I could sneak some of these into our favorite Mexican restaurant!!! We used to go to this place twice a week. Just chips and salsa there is gettin' kinda old.....but still good!

Cheese nachos should be a fairly safe bet at a mexican restaurant. I've eaten chicken and fajita beef nachos before, but the risk would be if the fajita seasoning contains flour, similar to taco seasoning.

best regards, lm

Cheese nachos should be a fairly safe bet at a mexican restaurant. I've eaten chicken and fajita beef nachos before, but the risk would be if the fajita seasoning contains flour, similar to taco seasoning.

best regards, lm

I was thinking the meat being cooked on the same grill as the other stuff...like flour tortillas. I didn't think about cheese nachos...I know cheese dip is out!!! WAHHHHH!!

Here are a few Mexican staples in our menus:

Old El Paso Corn Tacos (the Stand and Stuff ones are great and don't fall apart so easily)

Tostitos Salsa

Old El Paso Taco Seasoning

McCormicks Enchilada Sauce mix (you need to add 8 oz of tomato sauce and water) - sometimes difficult to come by

Old El Paso Refried Beans (regular variety - don't know about the others)

Goya Black Beans

Goya Plantains (in freezer section)

Tostitos Gold Tortilla Chips (hold up to sauces and for nachos really well - don't go soggy)

Green Mountain Gringo Tortilla Chips (Says gluten-free on the bag)

Corn tortillas are safe. /quote]

Not all corn tortillas are safe. Wal-Mart's Great Value says on the label gluten free and Mission is also gluten free.

Delmexi taquitos are safe.

Here is my enchilada recipe:

Enchilada Sauce

3 tlb chili power

3 tlb gluten free flour

1 tsp cocoa power or chocolate chips

(don

I have a piggy-back question. What about Frontier? I used the Frontier/Simply Organic mix last night, I didn't see any suspect ingredients, and I feel fine, but I figured I should double check with you wise celiacs.

Is there ANY kind of cheese dip that is gluten-free? Or a recipe?

Of course. You go to the store, read the label on the cheese dip, and if it doesn't say wheat it's gluten-free. I've tried several, all very inferior to home made IMO.

At least once a week, I take a break from my usual staple of homemade nachos, and make some queso. I start with Velveeta, add some sharp cheddar cheese, chopped jalepeno nacho slices, my homemade salsa, and milk. Melt in the microwave while stirring occasionally, and eat with tostidos that are warmed in the oven (it makes them light, yet crispy, with just a touch of real corn flavor). Tostidos are the most wonderful thing ever. Don't know how I would have survived without them.

best regards, lm

Is there ANY kind of cheese dip that is gluten-free? Or a recipe?

There is a nacho cheese thread under "Ingredients and Food Labeling Issues".