• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

GravStars

Can Dh Get Worse For A While After Going gluten-free?

Rate this topic

OK, I asked recently if it could take DH a while to clear up after going gluten-free, now I'm wondering if anyone has experienced it getting WORSE after going gluten-free? I'm undiagnosed, been gluten free for about 3 months, not feeling much better. Before going gluten-free I had itchy bumps on my legs and upper arms but since giving up gluten these itchy bumps have gotten worse, or rather more of them, now on my forearms, occasional abdomen and neck. They're not painfully itchy, but I'm wondering why it would seem to get worse after going gluten-free? Could it be that I'm (and this is likely) picking up CC somewhere (kitchen counter) and now that there's not as much gluten in my system, I am reacting more strongly to what little I AM getting? Or is it possible for it to temporarily get worse as you begin to recover?

OK, I asked recently if it could take DH a while to clear up after going gluten-free, now I'm wondering if anyone has experienced it getting WORSE after going gluten-free? I'm undiagnosed, been gluten free for about 3 months, not feeling much better. Before going gluten-free I had itchy bumps on my legs and upper arms but since giving up gluten these itchy bumps have gotten worse, or rather more of them, now on my forearms, occasional abdomen and neck. They're not painfully itchy, but I'm wondering why it would seem to get worse after going gluten-free? Could it be that I'm (and this is likely) picking up CC somewhere (kitchen counter) and now that there's not as much gluten in my system, I am reacting more strongly to what little I AM getting? Or is it possible for it to temporarily get worse as you begin to recover?

Well, I can only speak from my own experience... I've been gluten free for just over a month and have had a slight improvement in my GI symptoms but, like you, my DH has got progressively worse.

I'm still waiting for the results of my endoscopy/biopsy (I've been waiting 5 weeks, the health system is painfully slow here in England!) but I have classic Coeliac symptoms and my rash (in my opinion) exactly matches the description and pictures of DH. I'm having a skin biopsy next week with a dermatologist.

From the things I've read online about DH, it may not improve or even get worse for a while as your body clears all the gluten/antibodies out of your system, kind of like a detox:

"...The rash is caused when gluten in the diet combines with IgA, and together they enter the blood stream and circulate. They eventually clog up the small blood vessels in the skin. This attracts white blood cells (neutrophils), and releases powerful chemicals called complements. They actually create the rash. Iodine is required for the reaction, so people with DH should avoid using Iodized salt..."

- http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_dise...s_herpeti_1.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Someone please correct me if I've got it completely wrong!

I have also been gluten-free for about 3 months. I also had some stages of dropping it out of my diet over a longer period of around 12 months, and when I went back on the reactions were worse. However I also discovered that my itch and rash was linked to other foods that by themselves possibly did not cause the skin to react butu in combunation (probably) they upset my skin. For me this was cashew nuts. I suggest you look for other things in your diet that might be additional causes, not ony to see if you are taking in gluten. No doubt you will be more sensitive.

I have also been gluten-free for about 3 months. I also had some stages of dropping it out of my diet over a longer period of around 12 months, and when I went back on the reactions were worse. However I also discovered that my itch and rash was linked to other foods that by themselves possibly did not cause the skin to react butu in combunation (probably) they upset my skin. For me this was cashew nuts. I suggest you look for other things in your diet that might be additional causes, not ony to see if you are taking in gluten. No doubt you will be more sensitive.

I have been gluten free for just over 10 months now, and found that before diagnosed the DH was getting progressively worse. After starting the gluten-free diet it flared up, and was getting worse since beginning the diet. After a while it settled, probably around the 6month mark, after on and off doses of steriods. Although I do find the DH is still prevelant, after 6 months the reactions died down. No itchy rashes on the legs, stomach, back, or face. Just occasional ones spot on my hips when I make a mistake with being gluten-free.

I have been gluten free for just over 10 months now, and found that before diagnosed the DH was getting progressively worse. After starting the gluten-free diet it flared up, and was getting worse since beginning the diet. After a while it settled, probably around the 6month mark, after on and off doses of steriods. Although I do find the DH is still prevelant, after 6 months the reactions died down. No itchy rashes on the legs, stomach, back, or face. Just occasional ones spot on my hips when I make a mistake with being gluten-free.

Hi petitpied, thanks for sharing your experience, could you give some more detail on associated symptoms?

I guess I am trying to relate overall improvement (thereby proving strict gluten avoidance) to symptoms and it appears that DH is not a good indicator over short periods as it fluctuates. I have been told by a naturopath/iridologist that the healing begins from the outside (gut) and later to the skin outside.

Did you have other symptoms oer and above DH, and if so, how did these track relative to the DH?

My own experience with gluten-free, DH and other symptoms, was unpredictable because it took me a few iterations with gluten-free diet to realise I had a problem with gluten. It was only on the 3rd time when I had removed gluten from my diet for 2 weeks (assumed it was not the problem because symptoms did not change much - gut and skin), However when I brought gluten back in my symptoms really flared. It took about 6 weeks off gluten to see progress. Each time I went back on my DH became more severe and took longer to improve. The very first time it happened I took yeast, and gluten from my diet and improvements were marked and rapid. I assumed this was a yeast/candida problem only, gluten was brough back in and the first time symptoms took many weeks to recur, so it was not clear if i was getting yeast from somewhere, or another food - in fact it was almost certainly gluten.