This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Touching Gluton?

Tykes

Tykes Rookie

I am still new to this. Have you found you get a reaction from working with flour for instance. I have a little son and I have liked to make him homemade bread and muffins and so on. I haven't because I am afraid - but I sure want to? He has no issues with gluton.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
I am still new to this. Have you found you get a reaction from working with flour for instance. I have a little son and I have liked to make him homemade bread and muffins and so on. I haven't because I am afraid - but I sure want to? He has no issues with gluton.

Gluten can not be absorbed through the skin, but the flour dust can be inhaled and create problems for you. If you have a gluten allergy, it may be an issue.

I would think that the dust from the flour would be everywhere in your kitchen and contaminate everything near. Maybe you can buy some good homemade bakery goodies for your son.

lovegrov Collaborator

Touching gluten alone is not a problem, but getting it on your body and eventually into your mouth can be. Washing thoroughly should take care of that.

You can also breathe in flour dust, which will then take it down to where you would swallow it. A mask would take care of that.

Still, it's best to avoid it when you can.

richard

Juliebove Rising Star

You really shouldn't. It's different for my daughter because she has an actual allergy and not celiac. Why don't you bake him something gluten free?

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Or at least they haven't seemed to have showed up in your little one yet. Your right to be afraid of using wheat flour in your home. It can take up to 48 hours for the dust from the flour to settle completely out of the air and you will be breathing it in. Not a good thing. There are many good gluten-free mixes for cakes and muffins and other goodies. Celiac doesn't follow the inheritence pattern that most of us think of with genetic disorders. If you find it in one family member chances are very good that others also carry the genetic markers. It can then rear its ugly head with a serious illness or emotional or physical stress. It can take quite awhile after this happens for us to get diagnosed. This is especially the case for those of us with neuro or skin related issues. It is not going to be harmful for your little one to be gluten-free in your home and may benefit him. You will not make him celiac if he is not genetically inclined to be one. It is not the withdrawl of gluten that triggers celiac. Although having a gluten-free home may clue you in that someone has an issue once they get the exposure that is commonly encountered in a school or daycare setting. .

Mango04 Enthusiast

Maybe you could bake some gluten-free treats for your son. That way you can enjoy them too.

Archived