This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Roben Ryberg Pizza?

IMWalt

IMWalt Contributor

My wife got me a big gluten-free cookbook by Roben Ryberg. Last night I made the corn/rice version of his pizza crust. After I stuck it in the oven I realized that I forgot the 1 TB of vinegar. The crust was very bad. Should I give it another try? Would the vinegar made much difference in the texture or taste? I have been using either Annalise Robert's or Carol Fenster's crust recipe and I like both. Last night I ate a couple pieces, but then just picked the toppings off (sliced fresh tomato, fresh mozzarella and some pearl onions, romano cheese, yum) and ate them plain.

Walt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Walt--

I've made this many times....making it tonight, as a matter of fact :D

You said "corn and rice" recipe.....the only one I know about is the cornstarch and potato starch recipe. If you did use rice flour in place of the potato strch, I can see that it would come out wrong--probably more like cardboard.

Is that what happened, or did you just leave out the vinegar? I don't think that would make too much of a difference.

IMWalt Contributor
Walt--

You said "corn and rice" recipe.....the only one I know about is the cornstarch and potato starch recipe. .

Yep, I checked and it was the corn/rice version. It is in a book titled "You won't believe it's Gluten Free". Perhaps I will try the version you use and remember to put in the vinegar. I have been hesitant to try anything else from this book because I hate throwing food out. Perhaps I'll try the applesauce bread this weekend and see what happens.

Walt

ohsotired Enthusiast

Walt,

I have this book, and as a brand new Celiac I have to say I love it (even more than the Bette Hagman book I bought at the same time!).

I've made several of the baked goods recipes and have been very satisfied. I have not yet tried the pizza dough one you made.

HOWEVER - keep in mind that if the recipe has baking soda in it, and calls for vinegar, omitting the vinegar is not good.

Ever make baking soda and vinegar 'volcanoes' as a kid? If not, try it now, and you'll get what I'm saying.

The baking soda and the vinegar cause a chemical reaction with one another, and if you don't use both in your recipe (when called for) then the reaction never takes place and you get........glue? ;)

I would encourage you to give it another try, following the recipe explicitly, and see if you like it a little better.

ETA: I just checked those particular recipes, and they do have baking soda and vinegar in them........so I'll bet that's the problem. :)

sickchick Community Regular

anything with 'pizza' in the title still catches my eye!!! :lol:

sorry you didn't have luck Walt. Crossing my fingers you'll have better luck next time.

:)

You know I wish Amy's had frozen pizza crusts (rice flour ones) that you could buy and top as you please.

Especially with everyone having their own unique intolerances. She has by far the best gluten free crusts.

sending happy baking!

Treen Bean Apprentice

I love, love, love, using Kinnikinnick's frozen pizza crusts. They are gluten and casein free.

Chebe also makes an excellent pizza crust mix. It is super easy to make and very versatile.

Treen Bean

chb Rookie

I made the corn/rice version for the first time tonight and it came out very nicely. The crust was pleasant tasting with good texture to it. My non gluten-free husband thought it was really good.

Give it another try with the vineagar--it must have made a big difference.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived