Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q1821

Sores On Scalp

i have been gluten-free for over year now and i stll get these painful zit like sores in my head. i only get them in my scalp and as soon as they heal new ones form. they bleed only after they produce yellow discharge and sometimes they come to a head. i don't know what they are from. anyone else have these? i don' have insurance to see a doctor and i would feel better if i knew i wasn't alone with this problem, thanks ya'll

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes I get them on my scalp especially all around my hair line and neck, I have long hair. I have come to the conclusion that it is from my hair care. The more I use the more I break out. So I usually change my shampoo conditioner, and styling products until I find something that works.

Sometimes I call the company and even though it doens't say it in the ingredients, I have found that It can be hidden in Vit E, being derived from Wheat Germ oil.

Sucks but more than likely this is the culpirt.

Gluten Free since Apr 14-08

Mar 08.....Blood work-Positive for Celiac Results were High (92)

Apr 08....Biopsy Results indicating abnormalities associated with celiac disease & Villi atrophy.

May-08.... Appendicitis

July 08.....X-ray indicates Degenerative Disc Disease

Symptoms that the gluten free diet has helped: All Stomach Problems, Bloating, Vomiting, Heartburn & D, Energy, overall feeling of health again, Migraine, Degenerative disc Disease, and Infertility.

I get these too, as well as an incredibly itchy scalp. I'm still searching for the "right" hair products for me.

But I agree with KristaleeJane - I think it's from hidden Vit E.

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

Those sores are no fun. I have to agree with the previous post. I also get incredible itching from soy. GRRRRRRR that really complicates the shampoo and conditioner issue. I also avoid any that have vitamin E, that is always a problem for me. I have had some success with castile shampoo and for conditioning I many times will use a cocoa butter with jojoba oil by NOW. That is all that is in it. I will use it to moisturize my skin and then run my hands through my hair. Warm olive oil also makes a soothing hair treatment, just don't use a lot. I put it in and then wrap my head in a towel for bit then shampoo.

There are a lot of shampoos and conditioners and dyes that are safe. Giovanni makes some nice ones as long as your okay with soy. Suave and Dove don't hide it from what I understand. If you have any particular ones that you want to know about you could post a query under products or do a search. Your not alone so there are lots of options that others can clue you in on.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Just wanted to chime back in and say that I'm currently using Dove shampoo and conditioner, and while it doesn't contain the vit E or the hydrolized wheat protein, it does have sodium laurel sulfate (SLS) in it, which bothers my skin........it may not bother you, though.

The castille soap works great as a shampoo, but leaves my hair feeling almost too clean, if that makes any sense. I have to use a conditioner afterwards, to make it softer and more manageable.

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

I have had this problem for several years. The problem seems to have gotten worse as have gotten older. Is this the start of DH? I did not realize that vitE has wheat in it! Good information thanks. I have been using baby shampoo, but it seems to work well at first when my hair is freshly cut, but as it grows, the sores being again.

Positive biopsy, positive blood test in 2/2006

Muscle biopsy in thigh in 2004 to confirm metabolic myopathy (found denervated nerves)

Interstitial cystitis diagnosis 2004

Hysterectomy 2003

3 for c-sections, 2 laparoscopies to remove abdominal adhesions

Abnormal heart beat when tired or glutened

I am new to all of this, but have suffered as well with itchy scalp, which usually comes from any hair care products that have wheat or oats in them. I went SLS free for a long time, but hair didn't feel right. I use Jason Fragrance Free products and they work wonderfully. Now, the only time I get an itchy scalp is from eggs, vinegar or soy. :o

Living your best life should be your first thought of the day!!!

Have responded extremely well to Gluten Free diet :)

I am new to all of this, but have suffered as well with itchy scalp, which usually comes from any hair care products that have wheat or oats in them. I went SLS free for a long time, but hair didn't feel right. I use Jason Fragrance Free products and they work wonderfully. Now, the only time I get an itchy scalp is from eggs, vinegar or soy. :o

Second that, once I went fragrance free as well as gluten-free my scalp & back (long hair) did MUCH better.

I use Person and Covey brand, but I think anything gluten-free and ff would work for me. A Celiac Newsletter just mentioned that I think Dessert Essences has launched a whole line of personal care products that are gluten-free, fragrance free and without-whatever-chemical-is-most-icky-this -month (maybe SLS?).

gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007

3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)

suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies

Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

It does sound possibly related to hair care products, though it is also possibly caused by things like dairy, soy, corn, nuts, etc. Other food allergies, or even a yeast infection might do it too I suppose.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Hello All

Here is a response I received from Jason Products. I noticed DinaB you said you used some of these products, thought you might like to read over. I was using one of their products

Satin Soap for Hands and Face & Vitamin E Oil 5000 IU,which turned into the biggest breakout all over me as I was using it as a body wash, it took over a month to clear up, and that is what made me call the company, because nothing on the ingredient list made me think their would be gluten in there.

Dear Ms. MACDOUGALL,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our Jason Product. We strive to maintain the highest quality products and appreciate your patronage.

Jason Products Containing Gluten - does NOT include the EB Baby line of products. Always review the labels, since this information can change.

Hand & Body Therapy Lotions MAY contain gluten.

Review label for Oat Starch

All Hair Care Products

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

All Body Powders

Hydrolyzed Oat Protein

Satin Soap for Hands and Face & Vitamin E Oil 5000 IU

Wheat Germ oil

Thank you for your continued support of Jason Natural Products. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at 1-877-JASON-01 (527-6601), Monday through Friday from 7AM - 5PM Mountain Time.

Sincerely,

George

Consumer Relations Representative

Ref # 1708448

*** Please consider the environment before printing this email. ***

**This e-mail is sent by The Hain Celestial Group, Inc and/or one of its subsidiaries. The information and attachments contained in this e-mail message may contain privileged and confidential information and is for the exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby requested not to read, distribute, copy or take action in reliance upon this communication. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or return e-mail and delete this e-mail and any attachments from your computer system.**

Gluten Free since Apr 14-08

Mar 08.....Blood work-Positive for Celiac Results were High (92)

Apr 08....Biopsy Results indicating abnormalities associated with celiac disease & Villi atrophy.

May-08.... Appendicitis

July 08.....X-ray indicates Degenerative Disc Disease

Symptoms that the gluten free diet has helped: All Stomach Problems, Bloating, Vomiting, Heartburn & D, Energy, overall feeling of health again, Migraine, Degenerative disc Disease, and Infertility.

I have had the scalp sores for many years. I stopped using shampoo maybe 9 years ago. I "wash" my hair with a conditioner, rinse, then apply apple cider vinegar. I leave that to soak my scalp while I take care of other business. Finally I rinse and apply a very small amount of heavy conditioner, my hair is very thick. The vinegar leaves your hair very soft and shiney, I Love It! I condition to comb through the curly stuff. Of course vinegar is strong smelling but after rinsing and drying, there is only a clean smell.

I hope this helps!