Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For some reason, I am confused by this. Is it just lunch meat ham that contains gluten? I looked at the ingredients of deli ham the other day and didn't see an ingredient I recognized as wheat/gluten, but it also had an allergy statement saying it did contain wheat and egg. I'm allergic to both, so this is a problem. What might I have missed as an ingredient? Does regular (cook yourself) ham contain wheat in some way? Is any ham safe?

Thanks!

Cici

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

For some reason, I am confused by this. Is it just lunch meat ham that contains gluten? I looked at the ingredients of deli ham the other day and didn't see an ingredient I recognized as wheat/gluten, but it also had an allergy statement saying it did contain wheat and egg. I'm allergic to both, so this is a problem. What might I have missed as an ingredient? Does regular (cook yourself) ham contain wheat in some way? Is any ham safe?

Thanks!

Cici

You unfortunately really have to check with many hams. They are usually cooked often with a glaze or other stuff added. A plain raw ham with nothing added to it will be gluten free but most are precooked. As with a lot of products you really have to check with the company to be sure. With the ham that you read the label of you may not have missed anything on the label. The 'wheat' ingredient may have been in 'natural flavoring'. It was a good company to tell you that. Generally it is not a good idea to get meats from the deli counter. There is a very high risk of cross contamination.

Hormel makes some gluten free lunch meats. They are in a brown package and say gluten free on them. There are other companies that make gluten free hams and such and if you type the name of the one you usually use and the word gluten into a search engine you may find the companies own gluten statement. You can also call an 800 number on some packages.

It is best to err on the side of safety, especially in the begining and make those calls. Gluten can be found in some of the most unlikely places. My most surprising case was a bottle of lemonade.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I've found that some hams do, indeed, have gluten. It never ceases to amaze me what it can show up in.

I know that Hormel's Natural Choice hams do not, and even say so on the label.

Here is a statement I copied from their website:

Gluten Free

Diagnosed 8-8-08 (I think I'll remember that date!)

Positive blood panel

Endoscopy a little later on confirmed, via Small Intestine Biopsy

Adult son diagnosed Celiac in his late 20s

Suspect my Mother undiagnosed Celiac

Join eNewsletter

Boar's Head is safe too. My local Supermarket advertises it in their ads as Gluten Free. Just make sure they wash down the slicer, or you may have cross contamination issues

"When I'm worried and I can't sleep/I count my blessings instead of sheep/And I fall asleep counting my blessings"- Bing Crosby, White Christmas

Join eNewsletter

there is an organic brand called Applegate Farms that makes lunch meats that are labeled gluten & casein free among other organic qualities. however, they are pricey and small servings, but i prefer the quality to the hormel natural selects. i am hesitant to get any lunch meats from the deli bc of the issues with the slicer. i know that boar's head and black bear are gluten-free, but my deli is always busy and i know they wouldn't clean the slicer as well as it would need to be cleaned. boo.

Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993

Positive Blood Test - November, 2007

Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007

Gluten Free since December 3, 2007

Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

Join eNewsletter

Ham is a cured meat. It's what they use to cure it with that can contain gluten. You can't simply buy a rump of pork and cook it and have ham. The meat has to be cured first to get that taste and texture. It is possible to cure meat yourself, it just takes room in the frig, time and dedication. And that way you can be sure what is in it. But it's a major PITA.

Thanks!

Cici

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind

as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Popular Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-m):