Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gwen B

Sodas/mixers Are They All gluten-free?

I've noticed that many sodas have 'natural flavors' in the list of ingredients. Are there any to avoid ?

I don't drink many sodas unless they go in a cocktail but have wondered about ingredients. Just got glutened last night and have little clue how :(

gluten free 11/1/07

CF, SF, 02/08

posative Enterolab results 3/11/08

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0303

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0609

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 9,6)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I know if you go on pepsi.com they have a list of what allergens are in which of their products. last time i checked, i didn't see any of them that had wheat/gluten in them. so if you stick to pepsi and regularly check their website, you should be safe with their brand.

Join eNewsletter

Did you drink just the soda, or did you have a cocktail?

If you had a cocktail, what was the adult beverage (alcohol) that the soda/mixer was mixed with?

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

Join eNewsletter

If wheat was in any drink, it would be required to be listed by law on the ingredient label.

It is not usually the wheat that is an issue with most beverages it is barley and that is not required to be listed. I have had no problem with Pepsi products but I have with Coke so I stick with Pepsi. Generally I find the safest bet to be the clear sodas like 7up or Sprite. I am extremely sensitive though and sometimes react to really, really low levels. If you are new to the diet do avoid gluten grain distilled alcohols for a bit then challenge them to make sure you don't react. Many of us don't but some of us do. Also be aware that sodas from a 'speed bar' are off limits, make sure your mixer comes from a bottle not from a button.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Did you drink just the soda, or did you have a cocktail?

If you had a cocktail, what was the adult beverage (alcohol) that the soda/mixer was mixed with?

It was scotch whiskey, single malt. I assumed that all distilled spirits were safe but use a single malt just to be safe after reading a couple of threads about slight possibility of grain being added back to the spirit in some blended scotch. I'm fine with gin or vodka but not so sure about the whiskey :(

I don't really like sodas much except ginger ale. I had the Santa Cruz organic ginger ale. I doubt there could be anything in it.

I'm racking my brain (albeit somewhat foggy still) but the onlly other culprit was Citrical calcium supplement. No gluten ingredients listed but ?

Feeling better today anyway. thanks

gluten free 11/1/07

CF, SF, 02/08

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0303

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0609

Join eNewsletter

It was scotch whiskey, single malt. I assumed that all distilled spirits were safe but use a single malt just to be safe after reading a couple of threads about slight possibility of grain being added back to the spirit in some blended scotch. I'm fine with gin or vodka but not so sure about the whiskey :(

I don't really like sodas much except ginger ale. I had the Santa Cruz organic ginger ale. I doubt there could be anything in it.

I'm racking my brain (albeit somewhat foggy still) but the onlly other culprit was Citrical calcium supplement. No gluten ingredients listed but ?

I thought malted barley was off limits on a gluten-free diet? (Not trying to be snide at all......asking because I'm doubting what I think I know! LOL)

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

Join eNewsletter

I thought malted barley was off limits on a gluten-free diet? (Not trying to be snide at all......asking because I'm doubting what I think I know! LOL)

Yes barley is definately off limits but as far as I know (ha, ha) scotch whiskey is supposedly ok like other grain alcohols because of the distillation process. There may be some possibility of grain being added back to maintain the colour in blended whiskeys but aged blends ie or single malts were supposed to be safe. :huh: Anybody know anything different? which brands are ok?

gluten free 11/1/07

CF, SF, 02/08

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0303

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0609

Join eNewsletter

I've noticed that many sodas have 'natural flavors' in the list of ingredients. Are there any to avoid ?

I don't drink many sodas unless they go in a cocktail but have wondered about ingredients. Just got glutened last night and have little clue how :(

[/q

I have reaserched and loocked at the labels and found that you can drink all sodas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join eNewsletter

I don't really like sodas either so I don't drink them...Does anyone know if apple juice has gluten? I like to drink whiskey and apple juice... That's an alternative mixer for you if it's gluten free. I have my endo 2maro and start my gluten free diet on Sat...So I'm still taking notes on what I need to get rid of!! Just a thought though...the apple juice and whiskey is delicious!

Gluten Free 10/11/08

Negative Blood test 08/08

Positive Biopsy 10/08

No family members diagnosed...but Symtoms seem to be the same.

Father- Diverticulitis

Paternal Grandmother Died from Colon Cancer when she was 38.

If you're going through hell, keep going.

-Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

I don't really like sodas either so I don't drink them...Does anyone know if apple juice has gluten? I like to drink whiskey and apple juice... That's an alternative mixer for you if it's gluten free. I have my endo 2maro and start my gluten free diet on Sat...So I'm still taking notes on what I need to get rid of!! Just a thought though...the apple juice and whiskey is delicious!

Most apple juices are going to be okay but the best bet is to ask the company that makes it to be certain that they do not use barley as a 'natural' flavoring. I would be more concerned about the whiskey.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter