• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Gwen B

Sodas/mixers Are They All gluten-free?

Rate this topic

I've noticed that many sodas have 'natural flavors' in the list of ingredients. Are there any to avoid ?

I don't drink many sodas unless they go in a cocktail but have wondered about ingredients. Just got glutened last night and have little clue how :(

I know if you go on pepsi.com they have a list of what allergens are in which of their products. last time i checked, i didn't see any of them that had wheat/gluten in them. so if you stick to pepsi and regularly check their website, you should be safe with their brand.

If wheat was in any drink, it would be required to be listed by law on the ingredient label.

It is not usually the wheat that is an issue with most beverages it is barley and that is not required to be listed. I have had no problem with Pepsi products but I have with Coke so I stick with Pepsi. Generally I find the safest bet to be the clear sodas like 7up or Sprite. I am extremely sensitive though and sometimes react to really, really low levels. If you are new to the diet do avoid gluten grain distilled alcohols for a bit then challenge them to make sure you don't react. Many of us don't but some of us do. Also be aware that sodas from a 'speed bar' are off limits, make sure your mixer comes from a bottle not from a button.

Did you drink just the soda, or did you have a cocktail?

If you had a cocktail, what was the adult beverage (alcohol) that the soda/mixer was mixed with?

It was scotch whiskey, single malt. I assumed that all distilled spirits were safe but use a single malt just to be safe after reading a couple of threads about slight possibility of grain being added back to the spirit in some blended scotch. I'm fine with gin or vodka but not so sure about the whiskey :(

I don't really like sodas much except ginger ale. I had the Santa Cruz organic ginger ale. I doubt there could be anything in it.

I'm racking my brain (albeit somewhat foggy still) but the onlly other culprit was Citrical calcium supplement. No gluten ingredients listed but ?

Feeling better today anyway. thanks

It was scotch whiskey, single malt. I assumed that all distilled spirits were safe but use a single malt just to be safe after reading a couple of threads about slight possibility of grain being added back to the spirit in some blended scotch. I'm fine with gin or vodka but not so sure about the whiskey :(

I don't really like sodas much except ginger ale. I had the Santa Cruz organic ginger ale. I doubt there could be anything in it.

I'm racking my brain (albeit somewhat foggy still) but the onlly other culprit was Citrical calcium supplement. No gluten ingredients listed but ?

I thought malted barley was off limits on a gluten-free diet? (Not trying to be snide at all......asking because I'm doubting what I think I know! LOL)

I thought malted barley was off limits on a gluten-free diet? (Not trying to be snide at all......asking because I'm doubting what I think I know! LOL)

Yes barley is definately off limits but as far as I know (ha, ha) scotch whiskey is supposedly ok like other grain alcohols because of the distillation process. There may be some possibility of grain being added back to maintain the colour in blended whiskeys but aged blends ie or single malts were supposed to be safe. :huh: Anybody know anything different? which brands are ok?

I've noticed that many sodas have 'natural flavors' in the list of ingredients. Are there any to avoid ?

I don't drink many sodas unless they go in a cocktail but have wondered about ingredients. Just got glutened last night and have little clue how :(

[/q

I have reaserched and loocked at the labels and found that you can drink all sodas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always been told that anything "malted" was not safe for Celiacs. Just what I've been told, and what I read somewhere, can't remember where though.

I don't really like sodas either so I don't drink them...Does anyone know if apple juice has gluten? I like to drink whiskey and apple juice... That's an alternative mixer for you if it's gluten free. I have my endo 2maro and start my gluten free diet on Sat...So I'm still taking notes on what I need to get rid of!! Just a thought though...the apple juice and whiskey is delicious!

I don't really like sodas either so I don't drink them...Does anyone know if apple juice has gluten? I like to drink whiskey and apple juice... That's an alternative mixer for you if it's gluten free. I have my endo 2maro and start my gluten free diet on Sat...So I'm still taking notes on what I need to get rid of!! Just a thought though...the apple juice and whiskey is delicious!

Most apple juices are going to be okay but the best bet is to ask the company that makes it to be certain that they do not use barley as a 'natural' flavoring. I would be more concerned about the whiskey.