This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Overwhelmed By Enterolab Results

mardigan

mardigan Apprentice

I just received my 2 year old's Enterolab results today. I was shocked to see that he tested positive for egg, yeast, casein, gluten and soy! He has been soy, dairy and gluten free for the last several weeks (except I just realized today his all natural toothpaste has oat beta-glucan(gluten) in it...) which has been enough of a challenge(especially the whole cross contamination issue)! The gluten free bread I have been making for him has yeast and egg and the gluten free waffles I've been making have egg. On a positive note, for the last week he has had 1/2 as many bowel movements and they have been solid and he has gained weight. I have to email enterolab but thought I would ask here as well:

I know the gluten intolerance is a life long issue but has anyone had Enterolab testing and then follow up testing that shows the other intolerances were outgrown? Does anyone feel their positive Enterolab results were off target?

Does anyone else with a child with these same intolerances have any food advice? I'm overwhelmed about the yeast but don't want to ignore it because it's linked to Crohn's Disease.

Also, does anyone know of an all natural flouride free toothpaste that doesn't contain these ingredients(Tom's of Maine has soy!)

I am debating getting tested myself now...

Thanks for any replies or words of encouragement!

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I just received my 2 year old's Enterolab results today. I was shocked to see that he tested positive for egg, yeast, casein, gluten and soy! He has been soy, dairy and gluten free for the last several weeks (except I just realized today his all natural toothpaste has oat beta-glucan(gluten) in it...) which has been enough of a challenge(especially the whole cross contamination issue)! The gluten free bread I have been making for him has yeast and egg and the gluten free waffles I've been making have egg. On a positive note, for the last week he has had 1/2 as many bowel movements and they have been solid and he has gained weight. I have to email enterolab but thought I would ask here as well:

I know the gluten intolerance is a life long issue but has anyone had Enterolab testing and then follow up testing that shows the other intolerances were outgrown? Does anyone feel their positive Enterolab results were off target?

Does anyone else with a child with these same intolerances have any food advice? I'm overwhelmed about the yeast but don't want to ignore it because it's linked to Crohn's Disease.

Also, does anyone know of an all natural flouride free toothpaste that doesn't contain these ingredients(Tom's of Maine has soy!)

I am debating getting tested myself now...

Thanks for any replies or words of encouragement!

Lisa

Don't debate get yourself tested. All of his first degree relatives should be tested, you, Dad, brothers and sisters. If you or Dad are positive then your brothers, sisters, Mom and Dad should be tested. And so on.

It is going to be tough with the number of intolerances he has and hopefully someone who has been through this with a little one will be able to help. You may find the section on Other Intolerances on the board helpful also.

Ener-g makes a egg replacement. It is powdered and you could use that in place of eggs in your baked goods. Be sure to try Chebe also. It is a yeast free bread mix that can be used for a lot of different things.

mftnchn Explorer

You might take a look at the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, because other than the egg, all the other intolerances are taken into account. Especially on the site www.pecanbread.com where it is mostly kids and many are casein sensitive. Lots of recipes plus ideas for someone who is very sensitive.

SCD is gluten free, but stricter to help heal the gut issues.

I haven't retested Enterolab for casein sensitivity but have been able to reintroduce it in small amounts, and to use goat milk yogurt without much trouble. I did recheck my Enterolab absorption levels.

My Enterolab results were right on. I didn't have the other food intolerances done though, just milk.

feedmykids Rookie

We have Multiple food allergies as well as celiac in our family. Use Baking powder instead of yeast and make more sweet batter breads like banana or zuchinni. Replace the eggs with applesauce , for binding and moisture, or unflavored gelatin powder, for binding, use 1 tsp per 2 C. flour mix.

For my kids teeth we pour a flouride rinse over the brush part instead of using water, they get the flouride and the scrubbing and we floss and rinse good. It has been working well. HTH! Also , trz using spectrum shortening for baking, it is made from palm oil so it is dairy and soy free. It works wonders!

• 1 month later...
eeyore Collaborator

I've been tested by EnteroLab...I am gluten- and casein-sensitive. I am also wondering what the difference is between being gluten-sensitive or gluten-intolerant. I would appreciate it if anyone could help!

Archived