• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jenkay

Gluten Free Oatmeal - Taste

Rate this topic

Bought some Bob's Mill Gluten Free Oatmeal yesterday and as I'm sitting here eating it I can't help but wonder why it taste so funky. Shouldn't it taste like regular oatmeal? Oatmeal is oatmeal isn't it?

I don't know how to discribe the taste, a very stong 'earthy' taste I guess, maybe a bad batch???

Jen

I am sure that oats have a shelf life. Does it have an expiration date? Other than that, I have not tried it.

I felt the same way about the Bob's Red Mill Gluten free oatmeal until I figured out that it requires longer to cook, than the Quaker Old Fashioned oatmeal. If I cook it between 10-15 minutes, it turns out pretty close to regular oatmeal. Give it a try, it can't hurt.

Patti

I felt the same way about the Bob's Red Mill Gluten free oatmeal until I figured out that it requires longer to cook, than the Quaker Old Fashioned oatmeal. If I cook it between 10-15 minutes, it turns out pretty close to regular oatmeal. Give it a try, it can't hurt.

Patti

I'm guessing it is the difference between "regular" oats, and the quick cooking oats.

I've had the Bob's Red Mill . . . it did take longer to cook . . . it tasted fine to me (like regular oats). "Earthy" taste makes me think it might have gotten wet/moldy/mildew?? Was your packaged sealed?

did you buy the regular ones or the steele cut? I havent had the regular ones yet, but I had a bad reaction to the steel cut oats so I doubt I'll buy the normal ones. I made them they had this gooey clear protien like stuff that formed around it. It was almost slimy to eat. I even cooked them for close to an hour, figuring it would helpmake them better, but it didn't. They werent horrible, but my reaction was...D for a day straight.

My bag has a funky taste too. I was really disappointed and couldn't figure out why it tasted like that. I might try another bag from another store and see what that one is like. If it tastes the same I don't think I'll buy anymore of that brand.

Are there any other certified gluten free oats available, other than Bob's Red Mill?

Bought some Bob's Mill Gluten Free Oatmeal yesterday and as I'm sitting here eating it I can't help but wonder why it taste so funky. Shouldn't it taste like regular oatmeal? Oatmeal is oatmeal isn't it?

I don't know how to discribe the taste, a very stong 'earthy' taste I guess, maybe a bad batch???

Jen

My bag has a funky taste too. I was really disappointed and couldn't figure out why it tasted like that. I might try another bag from another store and see what that one is like. If it tastes the same I don't think I'll buy anymore of that brand.

Are there any other certified gluten free oats available, other than Bob's Red Mill?

If you still have your packaging, you guys should compare lot numbers.

I couldn't find the Bob's Red Mill packages that actually said Gluten Free on them, so I bought Cream Hill Estates instead.

I used these in home made granola bars, and have not eaten them any other way (yet).

They tasted pretty darn good in the granola bars, so you might give them a try.

I got "funky" almond flour from Bob's about 2 months ago. It was rancid. I went to 3 different health food stores and he same lot numbers at the stores were rancid. I pointed it out to the stores and hey pulled them. I then contacted Bob's and they gave me refunds for the bags I had bought.

Sometimes food goes rancid for whatever reason. It just happens.

Smell the oats. Do they smell fresh or a little "funky". If so, get a refund and buy a different lot number.

Our first bag of gluten-free oats was Gifts of Nature and they were tender and creamy, and we didn't even cook them as a hot cereal. We bought Bob's when that bag was gone and they are so different in texture and taste. I'll probably pay the extra and get the Gifts of Nature next time. A tip for using the Bob's is to pulse them a few times in the food processor.

I recently had the same problem with Bob's Red Mill oatmeal smelling odd......either burnt or rancid.

I emailed them and found out that they are having trouble with the machine that processes the gluten free oats.

So they are suspending production of the gluten-free oats.

I gave them the product price and information and the product processing number on the bag of oats.

They were very nice and sent me some rice flour to replace the bad oats.

Hopefully if you contact them, you can get another product to replace your oatmeal purchase.

Becky

They (Bob's) just sent me cash to replace my purchase. I told them they could send me a store coupon and they said they didnt have those.

I've been using McCanns and its yummy.

I tried McCann's based on Annalise Roberts' recommendation and I had horrible cramps for two days. I was in a meeting, and my boss (who knows I am gluten-free), asked me what I ate because my intestines were making so much noise. I bought Bob's, and while I can't describe the tase as "funky", I don't really like them. Before gluten-free, I cooked oats in the crock-pot overnight and they were great. Bob's were slimy and I didn't really like them. I will try again cooking on the stovetop for 15 minutes and see what they are like that way.

Walt

I use the Laura's certified Gluten Free Rolled Oats. They are very good. I cook them in the microwave and add frozen blueberries and cinnamon to them. YUMMY!

I too have a package of Bob's Red Mill Regular Oats. They smell "earthy" and taste horrible. I have not tried cooking them the full amount of time, but I bought them to make some "no-bake" cookies, and I can't because they are soooo bad. I have been wanting to smell some oats that some gluten free friends have so I could compare. I think I will contact Bob's Red Mill as suggested by others - since it sounds like mine might have a problem - Thanks!

I ran into a similar problem - the burnt/wrong smell taste. I thought it was just me, but then I had a gluten-eating, oat-eating friend of mine taste some and he agreed that it was more than just my distant memory of oats.

As to the rancid thing - whole grains have a much shorter storage life because they contain the germ, bran and the oils that are inside both, which can break down and go rancid.

This thread gives me hope for trying a new batch and possibly enjoying oats!!

Our first bag of gluten-free oats was Gifts of Nature and they were tender and creamy, and we didn't even cook them as a hot cereal. We bought Bob's when that bag was gone and they are so different in texture and taste. I'll probably pay the extra and get the Gifts of Nature next time. A tip for using the Bob's is to pulse them a few times in the food processor.

I also use Gifts of Nature and think they are awesome. I am an avid oatmeal eater and needed to find something good because I would not give them up. Try making them with a 50/50 mixture of water and milk and they can't be beat! Creamy in texture without being mushy. Great hiking food....they keep you full and energized.

As for McCann's oatmeal, that was the brand I used before diagnosis. They are fantastic but may have issues with CC. I spoke with a company rep and they cannot guarantee purity from other grains so McCann's are no longer used and with the Gifts of Nature, no need to!