This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Igg/iga Anti-gliadin?

saraistar

saraistar Newbie

Hi everyone,

(Apologies if I already posted this... i don't think it went through)...

To keep a very long story short, my question comes down to this: what other diseases/disorders can cause elevated IgG or IgA anti-gliadin antibodies? How about anti-gluten antibodies?

Thank you SO much for your help; I can't seem to find this info! S

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor
Hi everyone,

(Apologies if I already posted this... i don't think it went through)...

To keep a very long story short, my question comes down to this: what other diseases/disorders can cause elevated IgG or IgA anti-gliadin antibodies? How about anti-gluten antibodies?

Thank you SO much for your help; I can't seem to find this info! S

It is possible that other things can cause leaky gut and therefore an IgG intolerance. If you have the main known celiac genes (dq2 and dq8) then if you are reacting to gluten and have elevated antibodies it would be best to go gluten free for life.

saraistar Newbie

thanks for the help. I ask because my IgG and IgA for both gliadin and gluten were positive, but the other blood tests negative. I started a gluten-free diet right away, and had the bloodwork re-done two+ months later. At that point, all the results were fine. So that could go either way... either a false positive to begin with, or things are better cause I stopped the gluten. I'm still guessing the positives were right, because I started to get progressively sicker over the past 1.5 years, and that stopped with the gluten... also, I am 99% sure I have DH (Off and on--but mostly on--for about 3-4 years I had the characteristic rash on my elbows and knees... no one could figure out what it was). I've since been tested for giardia and other signs of infection, and everything is fine. However, I had ELISA food testing done a couple of months back as well, and I was extremely allergic to all the wheat and glutens (barley, rye, etc). So I was wondering if that could do it... or if I should be concerned about another disorder all together...

AndreaB Contributor

If you have DH you have celiac so you want to remain gluten free. My IgG was elevated for most of the gluten grains when I had ELISA done 2 1/2 years ago. I haven't been retested.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Hi, saraistar, I had exactly the same bloodwork results as you.

Mine might have been faulty as I had already been gluten-free for a month when tested (stupid doctor :ph34r: ).

But either way, I went gluten-free, felt MUCH better, and never looked back. It's kind of a pain when eating out or looking for quickie convenience foods--but the end result is that I am eating much, much healthier (mostly from scratch, and no junky processed donuts, cookies, etc.) and feeling better, so it's worth it.

I make gluten-free versions of whatever sweets/breads/pancakes/waffles I want, andthey taste great, but the horrible cravings are gone, which is worth a lot right there.

If you feel better off gluten, kiss it goodbye, kick it out the door, and don't look back!

mftnchn Explorer

There are some articles in Scott's celiac newsletters that discuss elevated gliadin levels and no other elevations. Maybe that is a place you could look although there is a subscription cost.

Archived