This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pamela Products - I've Been Glutened! Help!

DebNC84

DebNC84 Apprentice

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has had any issues with Pamela Products pancake and baking mix - it is absolutely awesome - I made muffins on Sunday (but I also ate something that might be questionable) and began itching intensely -( I've got DH - in case your wondering) and became a little gassy

I didn't think it was the baking mix because as I said I had eaten something else that could have been the culprit that day....

Then I made some wonderful luscious pancakes on tuesday - with the baking mix - glutened for sure - itching and broke out - more gas and fatigue this time - NOW i've never checked the maple syrup that I used.. but it says "pure" but maybe I should check it and I will but I wanted to see if anyone had any issues, gluten related with this product.

thanks in advance - i'm better now but still dealing with the itching a little.

Debbie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rpm999 Contributor

it was definately the other thing, because the facility is 100% gluten-free

hez Enthusiast

Could it be possible that you are reacting to something else in the mix? Hope you feel better soon.

Hez

DebNC84 Apprentice
it was definately the other thing, because the facility is 100% gluten-free

I thought about that of course - but what? :) it has a warning about soy and milk and tree nuts... none of which I abstain from -

I just checked on the maple syrup and I'm good there... it has to be the mix... i'll look at all the ingredients again and see if there is something in there that I am not used to ingesting.. I'm sad because the baking mix is so awesome!

DebNC84 Apprentice

before I worry anyone... I'll say this - I've just come off of a three week ordeal where I had been getting glutened by something that I was eating on a daily basis ( I knew because it wouldn't let up) finally narrowed it down to the offending food and I've only been recovering for about two weeks...

I'll give it some time and try the mix again. I just looked at the ingredient list and nothing strange that I should be concerned about -

thanks

Darn210 Enthusiast

What about a common utensil/mixing bowl/spatula/mixer/measuring spoon/pan? (although I don't cook my pancakes and muffins in the same pan . . . maybe you do :P )

What about whatever you are using to "grease" your pans?

Any common ingredient that could be cc'd?

Gwen B Rookie
before I worry anyone... I'll say this - I've just come off of a three week ordeal where I had been getting glutened by something that I was eating on a daily basis ( I knew because it wouldn't let up) finally narrowed it down to the offending food and I've only been recovering for about two weeks...

I'll give it some time and try the mix again. I just looked at the ingredient list and nothing strange that I should be concerned about -

thanks

I got accidentally glutenned one time and thought I'd make myself some comforting pancake mix, not pamelas but Bob's Red Mills. My stomach pain/gas was greatly worsened and did not know why that would be but there after I avoided mixes for a while with Tapioca in and was fine. I can now tolerate it in breads and flours except when I have been glutened. Seems like I just need to go easy on everything when my body is under a gluten attack.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I reacted to Pamela's stuff early on, and it turned out it was the tapioca starch in the mixes. I loved her brownies, too--they were so good!

ShayFL Enthusiast

Did you use an old scratched Teflon pan? That could be it.

DebNC84 Apprentice
Did you use an old scratched Teflon pan? That could be it.

good idea - but all my sheets and pans are either stainless steel or replaced with new stuff ... yep when I went gluten free I tossed out all those old cookie sheets and teflon coated pans! my plastic ware got thrown out - I even gave away my old rolling pin!

I thank God for my DH actually because at 45 years old I didn't know that all the other symptoms I was having were actually symptoms! DH gave me a new life. No more cold sores in my mouth, no more gut pain, no more problems with my weight (I've lost 40lbs - and wonder how small I'm going to get!) no more migraines, no more joint pain, my early menopause symptoms stopped, my diagnosed "hashimotos" is no longer a problem (thyroid was messed up) mood swings? what's that? :lol:

DebNC84 Apprentice
I got accidentally glutenned one time and thought I'd make myself some comforting pancake mix, not pamelas but Bob's Red Mills. My stomach pain/gas was greatly worsened and did not know why that would be but there after I avoided mixes for a while with Tapioca in and was fine. I can now tolerate it in breads and flours except when I have been glutened. Seems like I just need to go easy on everything when my body is under a gluten attack.

wow! that's good information! I use tapioca starch in baked goods when I cook from scratch... and haven't had any issues... but since I'm still recovering from the last "glutening" maybe that's it! Amazing!

you know the last episode actually was narrowed down to the sugar I was using! it was dixie crystals and that's all i've been using - but when i stopped using it in my coffee... the itching stopped. but I didn't figure it out for 3 weeks.

thank you Gwen - I'm going to give it a rest and try the mix later. :D

DebNC84 Apprentice

wow! that's good information! I use tapioca starch in baked goods when I cook from scratch... and haven't had any issues... but since I'm still recovering from the last "glutening" maybe that's it! Amazing!

you know the last episode actually was narrowed down to the sugar I was using! it was dixie crystals and that's all i've been using - but when i stopped using it in my coffee... the itching stopped. but I didn't figure it out for 3 weeks.

thank you Gwen - I'm going to give it a rest and try the mix later. :D

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

If you use something like butter, could that have gluten crumbs in it from another family member's double-dipping for toast? (Same for peanut butter--I was amazed how many crumbs I found there!)

DebNC84 Apprentice
If you use something like butter, could that have gluten crumbs in it from another family member's double-dipping for toast? (Same for peanut butter--I was amazed how many crumbs I found there!)

well it's me and my husband and the only time he spends in the kitchen is passing through - but at the moment he's away at school and I'm here with not gluten in the house - so crumbs are not a possibility - besides, I am careful not to double dip when making his gluten meals... ( a sandwich once in awhile) BUT another good idea - you never know what you didn't think about.

When I start telling people about this - there eyes get big and there is always a very concerned look - "what do you eat?" i hear all the time... I just smile now and say, it's OK there's a lot I CAN eat - I just have to stay away from a couple things. I make it sound simple, but the pure thought of going without bread and pasta sends people into DT's! It's OK... I just wish I would have found out about this 20 yrs ago. When I was 24 I had a job delivering donuts for Krispy Kreme - all day riding around in a donut truck - Consuming atleast 1/2 donuts a day - I noticed that everyday around 2 or 3 I would be so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open - I had to pull over sometimes and take a power nap before continuing down the road - eventually I went to the doctor... I wanted to know if I had high sugar or something... they said the blood tests came back normal... but they weren't interested in finding out WHAT my problem was. sigh.

All we can now is try to educate one person at a time.

Thanks for your help - all of you!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Just one last thought to add to the great replies you have already gotten. Have you tried out a new toiletry item in the last couple of weeks? A new or reformulated shampoo, conditioner or lotion? Are you doing any home fixup stuff? Drywall and paints etc are also risk. Or do you help out in a school or daycare sort of place? Things like chalk, clays, pastes and glues etc can also be a problem. Sometimes we drive ourself crazy trying to figure out what food got us when the offending product is actually a nonfood item. I made myself sick every time I made anything canned for a long time until I realized my cat's canned food was gluteny and I although I was washing the can opener it still got me. I now have a dedicated opener for only pet foods, although I try my best to feed them gluten-free also. Do check all nonfood sources also.

DebNC84 Apprentice

well the paper products idea wins!

well - just think i got to the bottom of it - some new coffee filters that I've been using! heading to walmart to get a washable filter...

you know when you just know? I can't believe I didn't think about that!! Just thought I would let ya'll know.

Archived