Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

has anyone else noticed extreme hair growth and/or overall healthy hair since going gluten-free? i thought it was just my imagination but so many people have commented on how long my hair has gotten in recent months. i've also noticed how straight and shiny it's been lately too. i wonder how long the growth spurt will last? since it's growing like a weed, i've decided if i'm going to chop it off i may as well donate it to Locks of Love.

there are just so many good things about being gluten free!! :D

5/23/2008 - blood positive for antibodies

6/24/2008 - negative biopsy

8/11/2008 - DQ2 gene present

7/1/2008 - gluten-free

(and dairy-light until 12/1/2008)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi,

yes, I noticed the same thing. During the last years my hear continuedly got thinner. Since I started my gluten-free diet one year ago, it became thicker again. One of the best results I got from going gluten free so far!

38 years old; formula fed as a baby, getting sick from sweet things all my life; after elevated liver markers at the age of 8 nausea all the time after eating; diagnosed with gluten intolerance in 2007 and with fructose intolerance in 2008, on strict SCD from 09-2008 to 03-2009, back to some illegal carbs since 04-2009 because unable to eat enough fruit and veggies for getting carbs. Gastro symptoms vanished since 10-2008, muscle weakness, muscle cramps, fatigue and hypotonia yet have to be figured out.

Hi,

I am new to the site and I am awaiting test results for Celiac.

I have ~70% of the symptoms and I would be utterly surprised if they don't find the disease.

I went three months gluten free. Wow, did I feel great!! My stomach straightened out, my mind cleared, and my dizziness and unsteady gait improved.

Interestingly, I noticed marked hair growth (thickening) and darkening of my beard. Weird! My wife said that she noticed the same.

I had to start eating gluten again for the blood test and my symptoms have returned.

:S

has anyone else noticed extreme hair growth and/or overall healthy hair since going gluten-free? i thought it was just my imagination but so many people have commented on how long my hair has gotten in recent months. i've also noticed how straight and shiny it's been lately too. i wonder how long the growth spurt will last? since it's growing like a weed, i've decided if i'm going to chop it off i may as well donate it to Locks of Love.

there are just so many good things about being gluten free!! :D

The possibility of new hair growth is such good news!

After a DX of hypothyroid, I resigned myself to constant hair loss. I thought I would eventually have to go to the head scarf look. Not a bad choice all in all but the hair loss has troubled me for years. It is a sign of poor nutrition.

Today, after being gluten-free for only six weeks, I can tell new hair is growing back. HOORAY!

Dec. 1998 DX Hypothyroidism ..have never felt well since.

Sept 2006 try dairy free for constant indigestion

March 2008 Dr. suspects gallbladder problems... Gas,bloating, acid stomach, ulcers,loose stools, kidney stone, sudden weight loss, UTI

Aug. 2008 Self DX Celiac Disease...research showed it fit the symptoms

Gluten Free,Soy Free, August 2008

Grain Free, SCD Diet January 2009

It makes perfect sense, since your body is now absorbing nutrients better. Hooray!

Diagnosed Celiac in June 2008 by biopsy and blood tests.

DQ2.2 (HLA DQA1*0201:DQB1*0202) and DQ2.5trans (HLA DQA1*05) positive.

Yes! :)

My hair has been getting thinner and thinner for the last 6 years. I actually wear extensions to add fullness. And, yes, since going gluten-free 6 weeks ago my hair is starting to grow and fast. My stylist also told me the new growth is very shiny. I don't want to get my hopes up, but.......Woo Hoo! :D

Jillian

I was dx Celiac 2008 + casein, soy, legume, & nightshade intolerant; dx hypothyroid 2006

14 yr. old daughter dx Celiac + plus casein & soy intolerant 2008

12 yr. old daughter dx gluten intolerant 2008

9 yr. old son dx Celiac 2008 + casein intolerant. DH Rash.

i used to have paper-thin hair, i couldnt keep the ends of it strait, it was greasy if i didnt wash it every day with strong shampoo AND blowdry it on high, now its fuller, shiney, and i only need to scrub it 2/3 days! my hair has always grown so fast, i wouldn't notice a speed difference, though.

Thank goodness, yes, my hair is growing faster; she cut it too short last time! It has also stopped falling out (can't tell whether it's no gluten or no Plaquenil any more), and it does seem to be healthier.

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

My hair may be growing faster, but my nails definitely are! I need to cut them at least once a week, rather than every 3-4 weeks. I also used to grow lots of deep horizontal indentations on my nails, always when I got sick, but sometimes randomly (as far as I can tell). Now the nails are much more even in thickness, less flexible when they get long, and don't peel away with the slightest hangnail. I wondered if I was imagining it, but it sounds like I'm not the only one with hair & nail changes - yay!

Celiac Dx - Positive blood tests confirmed with intestinal biopsy 06/08

Gluten-free since 06/08

Dairy and soy-minimal since 10/08

Celiac panel on 09/08 indicates adherence to gluten-free diet (yay!) but new neurological symptoms with diet change (boo!)

Follow-up biopsy results show I have villi again! (01/09)

Migraines, Ovarian Cysts, Raynaud's, mild IgA deficiency, food allergies, asthma, and ADHG (cause I think it's a gift!) managed with exercise - I also have an advanced case of general awesomeness :)

Within 3 months of going gluten free my daughter went from being bald (1 1/2 years old) to be so full of hair that she almost needs a haircut. I wondered if this was related to being gluten-free and many people have resounded with a definite YES.

My hair has been growing a lot faster now too. Must be something to it. I just went to get a hair cut yesterday and she cut 4 inches off of it. I have never been great about going every 6 weeks. I usually stretch it to 6 months. I did go in 4 months this time.