Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmengert

A Good Gf Facial Moisturizer?

Hi, all--I have super dry skin, and my neutrogena products just aren't cutting it. Can anyone recommend a nice facial moisturizer that is gluten-free (and hopefully not too expensive)?

Thanks for any help anyone may have!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Not all of clinique makeup is gluten free they could not guarantee me and the stuff I had it had gluten in it so i threw it out. Oil of Olay may have gluten free products but they told me they purchase scents from outside suppliers so they could not guarantee me anything. I use Dove products...they will not hide wheat,rye,barley,or oats in their products so I like to use them.

:o i use oil of olay and i didnt know it might not be safe--well, i guess when this bottle is gone, which must be ok--then i will go to dove <_< deb

I also use Burt's Bees...The exact name is Beeswax Moisturizing Creme.

It comes in a 2 oz. jar, and is a tad pricey at about $10.00, but just a little bit goes a long way. It's light, yet very soothing and effective.

Hi everyone:

I may need some help here, I had never considered soaps, lotions, make-up etc. as being harmful and containing gluten. Is that true? that is just making me more confused.

Thanks

Sally

Well sure it can cause a problem.Things like lotion,soaps,shampoos, and makeup can accidentally be ingested in small amounts. Think about it when you put lotion containing gluten on your hands and then prepare food then traces are now on your food when you eat it. I had a bad reaction to lip balm a while ago. I thought it was ok then come to find out the vitamin e was derived from wheat. I didn't think of this at first but now every product I use is gluten free even things that probably will never even reach my mouth. I would just rather have that extra assurance. I would especially be concerned about lipsticks,soaps, and lotions. Also if you have a husband that is a celiac if he kisses your cheek or lips and you have gluten containing makeup in that could cause a problem. Alot of nailpolishes contain wheat starch in them too and thats something to watch out for.

Hi,

There are lots of gluten-free moisturizers out there - just gotta read those long long labels.....

Two very simple ones are Tropical Traditions - basically just coconut oil, wax and a few other ingredients that are not "scientific-y" sounding. The other is pure vaseline - not lotion by Vaseline, but actual petroleum jelly. A little goes a long way, and very few folks are allergic to it.

I've been using a department store lotion for the last year -love it - and it's gluten-free, but it's not exactly inexpensive :P

I have yet to find a product line that is exclusively gluten-free - I think they all have some products which contain gluten. Just gotta read those labels.

Btw - funny story - my 3 yr old ds now picks up products (at home, the store, anywhere) makes a big production out of "reading" the label and then announcing the result "it says NO GLUTEN right here" "SOYBEAN OIL!" (he's allergic to soy) and so on. Very cute, very funny, he's learning to do the right things, and it all really amuses the grocers/checkout people/etc. LOL.

Merika