This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Constant Bm's And Pottying/ Should I Try A Diet Anyways?

mommywithplenty

mommywithplenty Newbie

Today we went to see my DD's( 3) Dr and he suggested she might have celiac disease. Her symptoms are:

never ending dirty(bm) diapers 8-10 a day but not alot at one time. She doesn't know when it's going to happen so bowel training is really impossible. Her main peditrition told me to use mineral oil but that made a huge mess and didn't help at all( she wasn't constapated!).

She was born 9.2 but didn't thrive very well and and lost wieght for a while now she's in the 20-30%.

She was constapated when she was BF but when she started eating we had the bm's all day long issue.

She was really behind on developement and didn't even sit up until 12 months.

She has this odd rash that hasn't went away in a long time only in one area. It looks somewhat like a picture I saw on the net.

Constant runny nose

We have a family history of the disease and I have a ton of allergies to foods.

How do I potty train a child that goes so often. We are just getting her blood work done should I try the diet now w/o dr's consent? Would that do more harm then good if something does come up on the test?

Tina mom to Rebecca-lynn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mftnchn Explorer

I'd wait for the diet until the testing is done. Be sure they have done all the blood tests recommended on this site, and have decided whether to do a biopsy or not. Once you go gluten-free that will most probably mean any further blood or biopsy tests are negative. I'm not sure at what age biopsies are done, probably someone else can post about that.

Yes, she certainly sounds very much like a celiac child from your description.

While you are waiting for the testing results, read up on the gluten-free diet. There is a steep learning curve and it will help once you are ready to try the diet.

RiceGuy Collaborator

As was stated, it's probably a good idea to start the diet after the tests, but in children that young, false negatives are all too common. So no matter what the results, it is very advisable to try the gluten-free diet. Also avoid all dairy at the same time, as dairy is often not tolerated well at first.

Just as with blood tests, biopsies are often falsely negative.

dandelionmom Enthusiast

Stay on gluten until the testing is done. Then even if the results are negative, I'd try the diet anyway (as previous posters stated the rate of false negs is high for little kids).

As for potty training, my daughter completely self trained just a few days into the diet. We struggled with pting but when we got her diagnosis, completely gave up until we go the gluten-free thing figured out. Even though we stopped trying, she did it all on her own.

bear6954 Apprentice

My son is 2 1/2 years old and I so want to be done with diapers, but I want to get his bm's better defined. I have started on the urine part and he does ok, but he does ask for a pullup for pooping. We have gotten his poops to be almost solid - at least not runny anymore. He has a hard time trying to poop on the potty, but he will tell me when he has to go. My son was having 8-12 poopy diapers a day with bad diaper rash. We have gone gluten free for 3 months and he has between 2 and 3 a day. I noticed that juice and koolaide had his poops worse. I mix his koolaide with pedialyte and it helps a lot! I use to think that people would look at me weird having a 2 1/2 or older in diapers. I no longer care. I just want my son to stay healthy. As for the testing. My sons gi dr told him to go gluten free months before his bioposy, but I made sure he ate a small portion of wheat everday. I did not want his bioposy to be negative by not eating wheat.

shan Contributor

I didn't train mine till she had been about 8 months on the diet. Yeah we spent a fortune on diapers, but at least when i trained her she was well aware and she wasnt soooo bad on D's any more. I felt for my child it was better for her self esteem. She was trained one month before she turned 3!!! But i doubt i would have waited any longer - older than that, i dunno, seems too old ;)

Archived