• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

lizard00

Testing 3 Yr Old Tomorrow

Rate this topic

OK guys...

I decided to get my 3 yr old tested for Celiac. I KNOW that he has at least one DQ2 gene, since I am double. I battled this because I don't want to live my life in paranoia, and diagnosing every sort of problem as Celiac, but I decided that I would be remiss as a parent not to have him tested. I don't want to find out 2 or 3 yrs down the road that he has diabetes or some such thing that could possibly have been prevented by early detection.

Anyway, I like the ped I go to, and I'm not worried about him thinking I'm crazy. But I'm just a little freaked about it. So, to all of you parents with dx'd kiddos, did any of you find out through routine screening or did you have specific problems? I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row, because up until now, I've just been dealing with my doctors and able to describe what I know is normal. But, I only have one 3 yr old, and what is normal for him may in fact be an indicator of something else.

Thanks for your help!

Doctors work for us, and since you are a Celiac, you can have the expectation that the doctor will indeed test your children for the disease. So don't go in all apologetic with a list of "reasons" for your doctor to do the tests. Tell him/her that you want the testing done as soon as possible due to the genetic risk, and that you appreciate their efforts. If a doctor ever makes you feel like you need to give them even one more reason to have that testing done, find another doctor - just be confident!

Kelly in Denver