This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gallbladder Flush?

MissCici

MissCici Rookie

My doctor recommended I do a one-day gallbladder flush. I've been looking into it - it sounds interesting and not fun. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Cici

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MyMississippi Enthusiast

What is a gall bladder flush?? :unsure:

kdaley Newbie

Cici,

I too have Gallbladder problems (just diagnosed) - they are very common with Celiacs. There is a lot of information on the Web about flushes, but I am very interested in your experience. I have had an Ultra Sound and a HIDA scan (28% function) done for my gallbladder, and my doctor never mentioned a flush. Has your M.D. made the recommendation, or are you seeing a Naturalpath. I really want to keep my gallbladder, so I am searching for alternatives. I know this does not answer your question, but I appreciate any information you might be willing to share!

Thanks so much,

Kelly

Presto Rookie

If this involves lemon juice, oil, and epsom salts, your doctor is a quack.

Research that one for yourself, the "stones" you will pass with that particular "treatment" are saponified oil with bile that colors them green. Epsom salts will empty out your intestines and make you feel better temporarily.

There could certainly be other "flush methods" out there, this one is popular but does nothing for your gall bladder. I don't know if there really are effective "flushes", but the particular one above flushes nothing out of your gall bladder.

debmidge Rising Star

Keep in mind that there's always the possibility that the

stones will not pass and become lodged in the bile ducts

which is painful and may not eventually "pass" through the system.

And medicine can't sometimes "fix" a

ruptured bile duct....(a stone which scratches and rips the interior

of a bile duct)....... many home-remedies should be

run past a doctor before you try them just for reasons as

above.

Only very specialized doctors can restore bile ducts -

such as those found in major large city university hospitals who

see these cases very often.

This is information I uncovered last year

when I had found to have gallbladder disease. And even after you

have your gallbladder removed, your body can still make "stones"

because your liver is still making bile (which when combined with

salts or fat become stones which can cause a bile duct blockage).

I wanted to keep my gallbladder too but it was too far gone. I had

gotten in the stage of pain, nausea, diarrhea, weight loss, loss of appetite.

A doctor isn't a "quack" if he/she doesn't recommend a flush. See

reason above. Your doctor may have determined that you are not a

good candidate for a "flush." He/she may not want to "push the

envelope" and be responsible for any resultant, inadvertent bile

duct (tubal) damage.

Oftentimes when you have stones the doctor will recommend

removing your gallbladder and a blood test of your blood chemistry and

liver enzymes and bilirubin, etc.

Then there's the rare incidence of gallbladder cancer, which

has no cure (or low cure rate). So, please see doctor if you

think you have stones or upper abdominal pain, gas, discomfort

like you've never had before. Or if you abdomen is sore somewhere

between the breastbone and ribcage - that's where gallbladder

lies.

Gallbladder symptoms are also symptoms of digestive cancers such

as pancreatic cancer.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
If this involves lemon juice, oil, and epsom salts, your doctor is a quack.

Research that one for yourself, the "stones" you will pass with that particular "treatment" are saponified oil with bile that colors them green. Epsom salts will empty out your intestines and make you feel better temporarily.

There could certainly be other "flush methods" out there, this one is popular but does nothing for your gall bladder. I don't know if there really are effective "flushes", but the particular one above flushes nothing out of your gall bladder.

I agree strongly with this. You also risk rupturing your gallbadder if there are stones in there. If you have stones then there are noninvasive ways to get rid of them. Sound waves can be used to break them up, your doctor (MD) can give you more info on this. If you are newly diagnosed and your gallbladder simply doesn't seem to be functioning well go with a lower fat diet, perhaps add some digestive enzymes and stick strictly with the gluten-free diet and you should get some relief as your body heals. It does take a bit of time to heal.

MissCici Rookie

My current doc is a D.O., not an M.D. I like that he tries more homeopathic remedies first. I had my gallbladder tested several months ago and the results were normal. I think my doc is recommending the flush because I have had had several digestive problems for a long period of time. I have also had issues with constipation lately - not sure if this is related to the flush or not, but he recommended it as part of the same conversation.

I have not been diagnosed celiac, but have intolerances to the gluten-containing grains (and many other foods). I have really struggled to find a doctor who can help me feel better. Been sick for at least 3 years. My skin-prick allergy tests have been highly inconsistent, which is what led me to try my current doc. He used ImmunoLab and I'm now following a diet plan based on those results.

Cici

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Presto Rookie

Add some magnesium to your diet. If a mag supplement straight gives you D then take a Mag/Calcium supplement. It won't be as strong.

Also Epsom salt baths. No need to drink Epsom salt, you can absorb the magnesium from it through your skin.

My supplements right now are straight Magnesium 450 mg, I worked up to it from a Mag/Cal supplement. Sublingual methylcobalmin B-12 5000 mcg. Cranberry concentrate capsules. And also a sublingual melatonin 3 mg. Also citrus fruits for my vit C. Sometimes some coconut oil straight, but I can't always stand it.

All of these are good for energy during the day, well functioning elimination processes, and good sleep at night. Slowly feeling better and better without the gluten! :-)

Good luck! (Don't drink the Epsom! Or oil, or lemon! X-P )

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I had my gallbladder out a little over a year ago. I got four opinions. All agreed it needed to come out because mine were lots of small stones not a few big stones. There were not any alternative treatments for sludge and small stones. My liver and pancretic enzymes were elevated. If I did not stay on a very, very low fat diet I had gallbladder attacks which made me very sick. Passing gallstones is dangerous. As mentioned before your bile ducts can be injured. All the doctors indicated that passing stones could be life theatening.

I would get at least two more opinions from MDs. Also, I am not sure how they tested your gallbladder. I had blood tests, a Cat Scan and an ultrasound to make sure there are no stones.

As a side note, I feel much, much better without my gallbladder.

Hope you feel better soon.

Archived