This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Great Flat Bread - gluten-free Foccacia From Recipezaar - No Egg Or Milk

ArtGirl

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I cannot have cornstarch, potato starch or tapioca which is in so many gluten-free flour mixes. I also cannot have egg or dairy, which makes it difficult to make good bread.

However, someone on this forum mentioned this recipe (I've searched but cannot now find the original thread).

The recipe is on recipezaar Open Original Shared Link

The recipezaar recipe does not have egg or milk, so I only had to alter the flour mix.

for the millet flour, I used superfine white flour (I could have used millet but didn't have any)

for the potato starch I used sweet rice flour

for the 1/2 cup cornstarch and 1/4 cup tapioca starch, I used 1/2 cup arrowroot

I also added about a tsp. of Italian seasoning to the dough, rather than sprinkly rosemary on top.

This was SOOO GOOD!

It was a little too moist - I'll adjust the water next time.

I sliced it up and toasted the slices to help dry the inside out. The texture is great and toasted it was heavenly.

I used an 8" round cake pan rather than a square one. My slices were thin wedges and looked really special.

Thanks to whoever you are who first linked to this recipe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

You are welcome! I am so happy that you can have a bread that tastes good :) Thanks to the person that posted it on recipezaar!!!!

I put ground flax in it now. And sometimes garlic salt instead of plain. And you can just cut it into strips for breadsticks.

Here is the thread in case anyone wants to read it. I posted my next baking experience there. I like to read what others did, it helps alot.

Open Original Shared Link

And its so EEEAAASSSYYY!!!

Juliebove Rising Star

Foccacia is a very versatile bread and everybody seems to like the gluten-free kind. I used to use it as a base for pizza, but now use the Eneger-G crusts. I used to make a dessert pizza by omitting the savory seasonings, adding sugar and cinnamon to the top and then drizzling with icing.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Thanks, Purple. I should have known it was you. I searched for "focacia" which didn't bring up the thread as you hadn't used that word.

notice you've been experimenting with baked goods without egg. This has been quite helpful for me.

Tonight I thought a little olive oil and garlic powder would be very good on my Italian herb version. Didn't though, 'cause I was teaching an art class later and didn't want to blow them over with garlic breath :o

ArtGirl Enthusiast
I used to make a dessert pizza by omitting the savory seasonings, adding sugar and cinnamon to the top and then drizzling with icing.

Ohhh, what a good idea. I can "see" a coffee cake with a strudle topping with this bread recipe.

purple Community Regular
Thanks, Purple. I should have known it was you. I notice you've been experimenting with baked goods without egg. This has been quite helpful for me.

Tonight I thought a little olive oil and garlic powder would be very good on my Italian herb version. Didn't though, 'cause I was teaching an art class later and didn't want to blow them over with garlic breath :o

:lol::P:lol:

My dd that is not diagnosed allergic to anything is trying to be gluten-free and vegan...Its so hard to find something she can eat. She is losing weight and getting healthier. She knows she is affected by gluten some but has no tummy issues at all. Her sister is gluten-free. So, yes I am looking for vegan (eggless) recipes that are gluten-free. I was so happy to find this bread!

Plz let me know how your pancakes turn out. I found a fantstic waffle recipe but it takes Bob's gluten-free Flour. I wish you could have it or adjust the recipe. I make them all the time. No eggs and sub the milk.

Could you post all your allergies on here if you have more than what you already posted so I can keep my eye out while looking for recipes?

purple Community Regular
Foccacia is a very versatile bread and everybody seems to like the gluten-free kind. I used to use it as a base for pizza, but now use the Eneger-G crusts. I used to make a dessert pizza by omitting the savory seasonings, adding sugar and cinnamon to the top and then drizzling with icing.

I was wondering how it would be for pizza crust. I want to try the recipe on gfmommy first.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

A good web site to check out if you haven't already is:

I think you could make the breakfast brownies (not the choc. kind) really easy if you can sub the 1/2 cup starch. I made them with choc chips once but didn't really like them that way. Chopped dates were great in them. Cut, wrap and freeze and they make great granola bars.

Karina's lists lots of subs for her recipes. You might be able to make the Irish Soda Bread, I haven't tried it yet.

My first gluten-free, df, egg free recipe was banana muffins with this recipe:

No starch in it either. I put batter in muffin tins and stir in chips, nuts or berries to make them different. Or put jam in the middle before filling the cup up. Reduce the cinnamon a bit the first time. I bet you could get really creative with it. Once I only used 2 bananas and used 1/2 cup pb and 3 T. applesauce, 1/4 nuts and no cinnamon.

Cheri A Contributor

Does this foccacia bread need to be toasted to taste right? I need to make my dd a treat for tommorrow, and I was thinking of trying the cinnamon sugar route. But, it won't work at school if it needs to be toasted.

purple Community Regular
Does this foccacia bread need to be toasted to taste right? I need to make my dd a treat for tommorrow, and I was thinking of trying the cinnamon sugar route. But, it won't work at school if it needs to be toasted.

I haven't tried bad gluten-free bread yet...nothing store bought.

I have made 4 different recipes and they all were good so far.

I like this recipe the best. B/C of the taste, the easyness to make it, and it doesn't have rice flour.

With that being said, I thought it was great the next day. The 3rd day it was getting a little crumbly. I had pb &j on it the 2nd day and it was fine. My dd took it to school several times the day after I made it and said it was fine. She wanted gluten-free bread w/o eggs or milk in it.

I am not a big bread eater so I haven't yet tried it with a meat/mayo sandwich.

I haven't toasted any gluten-free bread either. I could eat this bread plain which I never do with any bread gluten-free or not.

I did like it better with the top oiled though.

I want to try it for pizza crust one of these days or a meatball sandwich.

Cheri A Contributor

Thanks. I make ranger bars for her instead. I will try this, though. She will not eat the bread unless it's toasted, and I make her bread every 3-4 days.

purple Community Regular
Thanks. I make ranger bars for her instead. I will try this, though. She will not eat the bread unless it's toasted, and I make her bread every 3-4 days.

ooo...what are ranger bars??

Archived