• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

home_based_mom

It's Official - Hershey's "chocolate" . . .

Rate this topic

Remember all those posts and threads about Hershey's refusing to tell people what they were eating because of "proprietary issues?"

Not only are they still at it but check this out:

Hershey Responds: Consumers Love Our New Fake Chocolate!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Um - almost leaves you speechless. Sheesh.

Remember all those posts and threads about Hershey's refusing to tell people what they were eating because of "proprietary issues?"

Not only are they still at it but check this out:

Hershey Responds: Consumers Love Our New Fake Chocolate!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Um - almost leaves you speechless. Sheesh.

:o:o:o

Wow! It's a shame, once upon a time, Hershey's was my favorite chocolate. I haven't been able to eat it now for a while--this explains it. Heaven knows what's in there! :angry:

That explains why I don't like Hershey's.

And I NEVER liked those Kissable things... they tasted like chemicals to me.

It's very sad though #1 that the majority of people either don't know #2 don't care.

If I could eat candy/chocolate Hershey's would be at the bottom of my list.....I never liked any of their products. They all taste cheap and fake to me. Back when I could eat such yummies....I always had a taste for "gourmet" chocolates. Hubby used to tease that I was "high maintenance" on Valentine's Day. Guess I just liked the "real thing" afterall.........

I've never liked Hershey's, either--I always thought it had a sour-milk aftertaste.

I know first-hand how easy it is to dupe someone into thinking it's real chocolate, though--I used to make hot Ovaltine malt-flavored milk (pre-gluten-free days) for my kids and tell them that it was hot chocolate, and I've made carob-flavored brownies for them, and they never questioned the flavor!

I'm sure if they could, Hershey's would sell sweetened poo and call it chocolate! :lol:

They mess up our food supply and now...our chocolate too :angry: And then raise the prices :(

This is sooo wrong. :angry:

Not that I eat any Hershey's. I usually buy Enjoy Life or Whey Out for daughter because of her allergies, but I did buy a couple of Hershey bars for husband the other day when he wanted chocolate. He's from PA and they love their Hershey's. Or used to. I wonder what my inlaws will say now?

I did a few searches yesterday and apparently this does not apply to all of their products. As a general rule, if it is just chocolate it this would not apply. If it is chocolate with other stuff (nuts, etc.) it might apply. The key is to look at the ingredients (like we all do) and see if it lists cocoa butter or vegetable oil.

Today when I was waiting at the grocery store checkout, I read a few labels and couldn't find one with the vegetable oil. Has anyone seen these modifed products in a store?

I live outside of Hershey and work in Hershey......I refuse to buy their products, like others have said the taste is terrible. Plus they lost a lot of their hometown customers when they started making more chocolate in china and mexico and that forced them to cut a lot of their employees in Hershey as well as their other factories aound the US. The slogan we use is Hershey's the great Mexican Chocolate Bar!!!!

A few months after they moved the productions to the other countries, we had kisses in our office....talk about petrid after taste! Blech!

No worries for me. The only chocolate I can eat is enjoy life choco chips! B):lol:;)

Outside the edit time-window so I'll add this comment to my post above.

Today I found a Mr. Goodbar with the vegetable oil and no cocoa butter.

I found this thread earlier and it made me laugh. I curiously looked at a bar of regular Hershey's "chocolate" today (in a grocery store in Chile) and it appears they have heard the Celiac community. On the back, I got to then the end of the mystery ingredients, and after the normal memo that says "may contain tree nuts, peanuts, soy, etc. in HUGE bold letters it says, contains GLUTEN. The way it is listed you would think it were made only of gluten. I just thought about a chocolate colored gluten bar posing as chocolate. :D

I just thought about a chocolate colored gluten bar posing as chocolate. :D

That is HILARIOUS!!! With a big smile on it's face... "I won't hurt you..."

LOL :lol::lol::lol:

there was an episode of the US sitcom "friends" where monica, a chef, took a job trying to make recipes for and market a product actually called "mockolate" .. after she spent all week cooking with it and serving it to her roommates, it was rejected by the FDA because it caused awful side effects in large doses. :D

Funny coincidence.

My sister and I still talk about MockLate! And Fishtaschios! Great episode, thanks for making me laugh.

I've been having issues with Hershey's, interesting...

I boycotted Hershey's. They are NOT friendly or helpful to those of us with Celiac.

I called them to learn about Hershey's Dark Chocolate and Hershey's with Almonds. I got all kinds of squirming, cryptic talk, round about answers, nothing I could rely on beyond their boring plain milk chocolate bar. They told me I need to determine for myself if the ingredients are gluten-free. They said they would define what ingredients such as "PGPR" were and that the rest was up to me. COWARDS!

That's the kind of customer relations you can expect from Hersheys.

Well, I eat hershey's without a problem. No, it's not the world's greatest chocolate (or, apparently, even chocolate at all) but it isn't horrible and tastes good when there isn't another option.