This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutenease

Sugarfunk

Sugarfunk Newbie

I was wondering if anyone has tried this yet. I went to my local Health Food Store and there it was a cure(haha) but the nice lady working there said it could help to "clean out" little bits left over from when I was eating gluten. Check it out. Let me know.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mango04 Enthusiast

INTERESTING....

I hate to be a skeptic...BUT...if this was for real wouldn't we all have heard about it by now?

gfp Enthusiast

I love the disclaimer at the bottom

This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.
VydorScope Proficient
I love the disclaimer at the bottom

Thats required by the FDA for any product that makes any calim that has not gone through the FDA apporoval process.

Nantzie Collaborator

I would love it if one of these products would just simply say that their product may help to ease the symptoms of being glutened. Easing the symptoms I could believe as a possibility. This quote from that site puts the whole product research and development process into perspective though:

"The main treatment for gluten or casein intolerance has been to remove offending foods from a person’s diet, also known as the Gluten-free Casein-free (gluten-free, casein-free) diet. Though effective in the short term, removing foods does not provide an ultimate solution. Once those foods are reintroduced to the diet, the symptoms return ."

I mean, didn't they even do a google search on the disease that they're trying to create a product for, for pete's sake? Someone's going to end up getting very, very sick because of them.

Makes you want to go down there and shake them.

:angry:

Nancy

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
"The main treatment for gluten or casein intolerance has been to remove offending foods from a person’s diet, also known as the Gluten-free Casein-free (gluten-free, casein-free) diet. Though effective in the short term, removing foods does not provide an ultimate solution. Once those foods are reintroduced to the diet, the symptoms return ."

well, of course the symptoms come back, it's a chronic disease, an auto immune disorder, don't these people know anything?

:rolleyes:

a gluten free diet is a viable treatment, in fact it's the only one.

it's not so bad, it's just food. It's not like my husband's crohns, where he takes 19 pills a day and then is still sick as a dog. At least we can be healthy..........

why don't people just stop trying to fix us? we can fix ourselves.

*rant over*

chrissy Collaborator

i noticed that they claim it can help digest the offending proteins-----but it doesn't say it can stop the immune reaction.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
Gizmopug1955 Newbie

I don't know if I have celiac disease. I do know that I am not allergic to wheat (tested). I do know that whenever I eat something with gluten, I become distended to the point that I look like I could have twins. Did I mention that I'm male?!! Uncomfortable would be an huge understatement. Frankly, I don't know what my problem is exactly, but certainly suspicious. I noticed this Glutenease product and thought I'd give it a whirl. Why not - it made some sense. Well, it works for me. No constant burping, gas, distention, bloating, intestinal flushing, etc.

I think what the manufacturer is saying is that if the protein can be broken up, the immune system will not see it and therefore react. Maybe so, maybe not, but breaking up the gluten protein still makes sense. I also think that what the manufacturer is saying can be read in the wrong way. Bottom line - Someone asked and I can say is that it is working for me, I feel better, and I'll keep using it.

Betty in Texas Newbie

Sounds like a fish story , are maybe like a product peanutease you can take this product and then you can eat some peanuts and you may not die.

tom Contributor
. . . .. I noticed this Glutenease product and thought I'd give it a whirl.

This clown's a shill.

Do NOT believe a word of "his" post.

Who knows who it is or what PR position he or she holds at the company making this product.

Look at when the c.com account was created and when the post was made.

How much time did it take to come up w/ this p.o.s. total fiction post?

For shame gizmoplug, for shame.

Generic Apprentice

For the record I do take glutenease as a precaution when I eat out. I figure it can't hurt if there is CC. I have never gotten sick when I took it, but who knows if there was any CC. I certainly would not take it to eat a gluten filled pizza etc. on purpose.

On the bottle it also recommends taking another enzyme with it. I take the "gold digest" enzyme. It is one of the 2 they recommend. And if I remember correctly the information sheet that comes with the product says something to the effect of it is recommended for people gluten intolerance to be able to eat more normal and not for people with celiac other than as a precautionary type of thing.

I remember there was another poster on this board who started a thread about glutenease. She had taken it and had her hair done at a salon, where the shampoos etc. were filled with wheat. She had no problems after, where as she had in the past.

I'm not saying you should rush out and buy it. But maybe keep an open mind.

tom Contributor

My mind's as open as the Grand Canyon.

You aren't actually disputing that gizzlePlug is a shill are you?

Or maybe it's some wild coincidence that he/she made an account on the incredibly rare day a thread about some useless-for-celiacs product was active? Just in time to post less than an hour later to relate his/her personal experience w/ what a WONderful product it is!!!!!

tom Contributor
. . . . . .

. . . . .On the bottle it also recommends taking another enzyme with it. I take the "gold digest" enzyme. It is one of the 2 they recommend.

One guess everyone - who makes the recommended additional enzymes?

And if I remember correctly the information sheet that comes with the product says something to the effect of it is recommended for people gluten intolerance to be able to eat more normal and not for people with celiac other than as a precautionary type of thing.

Precautionary??

Reminds me of an old joke about a talisman to ward off elephants.

Set somewhere in the U.S., the salesman offers the lack of elephants as proof of the talisman's efficacy.

I remember there was another poster on this board who started a thread about glutenease. She had taken it and had her hair done at a salon, where the shampoos etc. were filled with wheat. She had no problems after, where as she had in the past.

Am I reading this right?

She had had problems w/ wheaty shampoos at a certain salon.

She didn't change salons. Didn't request they use a different shampoo. Didn't bring her *own* safe shampoo.

And now we're being asked to put stock in what *she* might recommend we do?

Everyone can buy anything they want; say anything they want, as far as I'm concerned.

But when I see very questionable "remedies" for dealing w/ celiac, I will not refrain from commenting.

Newbie celiacs will otherwise read about it and possibly believe there is some remedy for celiac.

You say yourself you have zero evidence that it does anything. Taking it and not being cc'd is the same as no "data" at all.

All I originally said was that the only positive post at the time was obviously a shill.

darkangel Rookie

I consider myself Web-savvy, but I've never heard the term "shill." What does that mean? Shyster? Troll?

jerseyangel Proficient
I consider myself Web-savvy, but I've never heard the term "shill." What does that mean? Shyster? Troll?

I believe it's an old term, meaning someone who poses as a very satisfied, happy customer while they are affiliated with the company they are raving about.

Tom, correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Celiaction Rookie

Hey,

A shill is specifically, I believe, a person who fakes an illness and pretends to be cured to support the sale of patent medicines. Like, Michael Jackson in that insipid Paul McCartney music video of old, or like the current posing of actors on drug company ads on TV.

Generic Apprentice

Tom , I was not agreeing with the "shill". I was in no way even acknowledging him or his comments. And I sure as hell don't appreciate you bashing on me.

I was stating that I have and do take it as a precaution, because it can't hurt. I was also referencing another thread that was talking about this exact same product. Here is a link to the other thread. https://www.celiac.com/lofiversion...php/t31920.html

Obviously I am not a troll or a shrill, because I don't discount the glutenease. I have been a member of this board since 05.

Celiaction Rookie

Generic,

Based on what you have said here I'm going to pick up some glutenease next time I get poisoned. The theory of breaking up and thus deactivating the protein is interesting. It may only hurt my wallet, but it is worth a shot to not have it not hurt my gut.

Why is this conversation mean and competitive?

Celiaction Rookie

"to have it not hurt my gut."

Generic Apprentice

I really don't understand it myself. I was simply stating that I do take it on occasion and I get bashed for it. Like I said, I take it as a it can't hurt (other than the wallet) perspective also. It does not claim it is a cure for celiac disease! Thank gawd someone else understands what I am saying.

Even if they did come out with a enzyme that would make it where you could eat gluten, I still wouldn't eat gluten on purpose.

tom Contributor
Tom , I was not agreeing with the "shill". I was in no way even acknowledging him or his comments. And I sure as hell don't appreciate you bashing on me.

Does *everyone* think what I wrote qualifies as "bashing"?

Good thing u didn't see the pre-edited versions!! :)

(I must admit I meant to toss in a "I hope u don't find this rude, but . .. .") ;)

I didn't accuse of u agreeing w/ the shill. I asked in a way that, in fact, assumed u didn't.

Topics like this do raise my hackles tho. That I can't deny.

There are too many celiacs who are new enough to believe everything they read here.

I've studied science since the 70s and researched celiac, not in any official capacity, for many years and I very strongly believe there will never be a "pill for celiacs".

I'm sorry that you felt "bashed", but believe me, THAT was not a bashing.

I was stating that I have and do take it as a precaution, because it can't hurt.

I said buy what u want, say what u want.

Maybe I should go into the enzyme business.

Obviously I am not a troll or a shrill, because I don't discount the glutenease. I have been a member of this board since 05.

I'm not even sure what this means.

'Not a shill ' . . .. . 'not discounting' . . . . . . . . explain more clearly if u like.

Lisa Mentor
I *personally* would be wary of any product indirectly claiming/implying it can treat a disease when it has NO scientific data or FDA research to back it up.

In theory, if gluten was broken down so fast that there was no chance of it being absorbed whole by the leaky gut, then it would technically be possible to avoid a Celiac related immune response. However, I highly doubt this product could do what it claims.

There have been some trials with different enzymes hoping to do just that, but nothing has been brought to market so far or been very successful as far as I know.

Usually, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

If you want to use it for CC, it may (or may not) help. It probably can't hurt anything but your wallet. :P

I also think this product can be very misleading and dangerous to newbies, especially if the hippie/grandmother types at the local health food store are saying that it is a "natural cure" for Celiac.

I would tend to agree with Doll on this particular product. I have see no endorsements from any Celiac Foundations or any scientific evidence support research for this product.

I have no interest in this product and I see that someone is getting rich off of the misfortune of others.

tom Contributor
In theory, if gluten was broken down so fast that there was no chance of it being absorbed whole by the leaky gut, then it would technically be possible to avoid a Celiac related immune response.

Hmmmm

Considering that the actual harmful protein is gliadin, a protein fraction of the gluten molecule (as long as we're talking wheat, it's gliadin), we might be better off if the entire gluten molecule could pass through w/out ANY breaking down of it whatsoever.

Generic Apprentice

The reason I feel you were bashing on me was, you specifically quoted me to discredit every thing I said. You could have said something to the effect of you can try the product if you choose, but to me it's not worth a stomach ache.

Stating your opinion, does not prove or disprove whether the product works. I may not have any proof it works, but you don't have any proof it doesn't. Bottom line.

tom Contributor
Very interesting perspective! From what I understand, a whole gluten molecule (or any other whole foreign protein) let whole into the gut will cause an "allergic" type reaction. Celiacs usually react to gluten and often other food proteins because they have a leaky gut. From what I understand, the body is not meant to absorb whole foreign proteins (i.e. gluten, casein, etc.). If this happens, there is usually a notable immune reaction.

Since it is gliadin that Celiacs are seemingly specifically reacting to, then this may be what causes/contributes to the actual intestinal damage in Celiac Disease. In Celiacs, their immune system goes on to attack their intestines in addition to their initial "allergic-like" response. Note that this is only my guess.

I think the key issue in either case is the leaky gut, which is letting in whole proteins and/or increasing exposure to components of them which should not be happening.

Hi Doll,

While I do believe many celiacs develop leaky-gut, it's not the primary mechanism in celiac-related problems.

To me, having been greatly affected by both, they are two very separate issues.

The leaky-gut problems are most often not noticed until after a celiac has been gluten-free for a while.

There are also many celiacs who don't develop leaky-gut.

Gliadin (and hordein & secalinin for barley & rye) is responsible for all the celiac-related damage in every system of the body, without any assistance from leaky-gut. Some may see that as opinion, but I think anyone w/ enough research under their belt will agree.

W/ leaky-gut, many types of partially-digested foods can get through to the bloodstream. I suppose also some whole proteins if the size matches up w/ the amount of intestinal permeability.

Archived