This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutenease

Sugarfunk

Lisa Mentor
or if I really want to cheat. So far I've had a lot of success with it.

Please do a search here for further discussion.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DinaB Apprentice
Has anyone ever tried this digestive enzyme. I ran into someone at the healthfood store who suggested that I try it. I don't use it all the time, but when I got out to eat, or if I really want to cheat. So far I've had a lot of success with it. I didn't at first, then waited a few months and tried it again. Just curious if anyone else has tried it. I also came across a very interesteing website so thought I would post it. Open Original Shared Link.

They also have an enzyme deficiency test Open Original Shared Link, which is pretty accurate.

Where am I searching?

happygirl Collaborator

If you have diagnosed Celiac Disease, the current digestive enzymes on the market are not advised.

jerseyangel Proficient
Has anyone ever tried this digestive enzyme. I ran into someone at the healthfood store who suggested that I try it. I don't use it all the time, but when I got out to eat, or if I really want to cheat. So far I've had a lot of success with it. I didn't at first, then waited a few months and tried it again. Just curious if anyone else has tried it. I also came across a very interesteing website so thought I would post it. Open Original Shared Link.

They also have an enzyme deficiency test Open Original Shared Link, which is pretty accurate.

If you have Celiac Disease, it's not a good idea to use such products. Since Celiac is not an enzyme deficiency,(it's an autoimmune disease/reaction) it won't help and may keep you from knowing that you are getting traces of gluten.

Mtndog Collaborator

If you are gluten intolerant, and it works, that's great but if you are celiac or are not sure, it's not advised. The website says:

GlutenEase

ShayFL Enthusiast

First I will SECOND that if you are dx Celiac then you should NEVER take this product and knowingly eat gluten. NEVER. As for using it while eating out, it will not stop an auto-immune attack on your body. You might feel fine and safe, but the damage is being done silently.

You only "cheat" your health when you "cheat". It is kind like the snake handlers that play with Cobras and Coral Snakes. They say...if I get bitten....there is an antidote. Some who get bitten make it.....some dont......The moral of the story is DONT PLAY WITH POISONOUS SNAKES.

To a Celiac.....Gluten is still poison.....Glutenease or no. The moral of the story is DONT EAT GLUTEN.

It could be helpful for someone who is simply gluten intolerant. Tested Neg. on everything. Including Genetic testing. If you have had blood work, biopsy and genetic test that have come back negative, but you still react to gluten. Then this product might be of some help for CC situations. IMO

Mtndog Collaborator

Shay- Well said (and I like your signature!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

home-based-mom Contributor
Where am I searching?

There is a blank box at the top left of the page. Type Glutenease into it and then click on the box to the right that says Search Site (Google).

You should fine several threads. One in particular is quite recent, very long, and at times a bit contentious. :rolleyes:

And as the others pointed out, deliberately "cheating" is a really bad idea. Why would you choose to do long term damage to your body for a few moments of potential enjoyment? It can't possibly be worth it. And no, no matter what it may seem like at the time, you won't be getting away with anything.

DinaB Apprentice

I don't know why my signature doesn't post, another kink I am trying to work out. Thank you all for the replies. I should have noted that I am NOT Celiac and only Gluten Intolerant at this point in time. Both negative bloodwork and endoscopy. Have gene test at the end of this month. I appreciate the feedback and can only add that I take the supplement because it does help with digesting with carbs. I currently have problems digesting carbs, rice especially. I think because most of the gluten free stuff is mostly rice. Again, thank you for the feedback.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

Hmmm....so I have a question. If Glutenease works then, would that confirm a non-celiac diagnosis...or does it relieve symptoms for celiacs and gluten intolerant alike, just that the celiac would, of course, experience some intestinal damage as well...

I am one of those that was cutting out gluten by the time I got a blood test (negative) and while waiting over three months for my endoscope I was gluten free. To top it off, turns out my doc ordered the scope to check potential reflux damage and did not tell the GI guy to look for celiacs. If he had been, he could have biopsied and possibly found celiac evidence at this point. :angry: It sucks that there is no definitive test for celiacs after one is gluten free.

Anyway, I am in Canada and have not seen this product - is it available here....

Also, does anyone know if gluten intolerance can worsen...I am now very sensitive to gluten, way more than I was before things started 4-5 years ago. I could be a gluten detector !

I guess on some level it does not really matter - gluten makes me sick celiac or intolerant !

ShayFL Enthusiast

Elf...I would not trust Glutenease because you could be Celiac. At the very least, you should get the genetic tests to see if you have the genes. If you have a POS response to the diet (but unable to get dx by blood and biopsy due to your gluten-free status) having the genes should help you believe that the chances of you being Celiac are very STRONG. And you will know that you need to be 100% gluten-free and not take enzymes......If you have neither of the accepted genes, then Glutenease could be something you could use for CC issues.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Elf...I would not trust Glutenease because you could be Celiac. At the very least, you should get the genetic tests to see if you have the genes. If you have a POS response to the diet (but unable to get dx by blood and biopsy due to your gluten-free status) having the genes should help you believe that the chances of you being Celiac are very STRONG. And you will know that you need to be 100% gluten-free and not take enzymes......If you have neither of the accepted genes, then Glutenease could be something you could use for CC issues.

I agree if your not 100% sure your not celiac (my case because I was gluten free when had testing done but doc diagnosed me gluten intorant based on positive diet response and return of symptoms when challenged) you can't cheat and hope enzymes will rescue you. I bought Glutenease for when I am stuck going to dinners where I can't sneak my own food in. My hubby is very political and we have a lot of dinner functions. I didn't buy it to ever eat gluten but thought it would be a nice safety net for accidental cc. I did get glutened once after taking it and noticed I still got very bad gas and stomach pains but no D. I don't always remember it and probably won't buy it again. The stuff is very expensive in my opinion.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Dina, I would guess that the reason that you are having trouble with carbs right now is that your intestines might not have healed? Most of us here found that eating gluten-free bread/cake/cookie/pancake substitutes in the beginning was very hard on gluten-damaged intestines. Once the damage has healed, it is much easier to digest the carbs--but most of us also figured out that we were eating way too many bread products anyway, and that those should not be the mainstay of a healthy diet, whether you are celiac or gluten intolerant.

Many people who have obvious reactions to gluten but have negative test results ARE celiac, but have not had enough damage to test positive (or their tests were done wrong, or the doctors were idiots, or...) And there ARE other conditions that can cause intestinal damage similar to celiac, such as Lyme Disease (which can cause gluten intolerance and a whole host of other issues), candida, mercury poisoning, and even severe dairy intolerance.

But I think your first step in determining whether or not your child has a wrong diagnosis is to look at antibodies (should be in the blood work) and dietary response (positive or negative).

DinaB Apprentice
Dina, I would guess that the reason that you are having trouble with carbs right now is that your intestines might not have healed? Most of us here found that eating gluten-free bread/cake/cookie/pancake substitutes in the beginning was very hard on gluten-damaged intestines. Once the damage has healed, it is much easier to digest the carbs--but most of us also figured out that we were eating way too many bread products anyway, and that those should not be the mainstay of a healthy diet, whether you are celiac or gluten intolerant.

Many people who have obvious reactions to gluten but have negative test results ARE celiac, but have not had enough damage to test positive (or their tests were done wrong, or the doctors were idiots, or...) And there ARE other conditions that can cause intestinal damage similar to celiac, such as Lyme Disease (which can cause gluten intolerance and a whole host of other issues), candida, mercury poisoning, and even severe dairy intolerance.

But I think your first step in determining whether or not your child has a wrong diagnosis is to look at antibodies (should be in the blood work) and dietary response (positive or negative).

I really couldn't tolerate carbs and testes positive to SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). Once I took a course of antibiotics the symtoms subsided and I gained 12 lbs. I Already did the candida cleanse with a special Dr. in NYC. Was on that diet for 1 1/2 yrs. I had Mercury poisoning last year and had two fillings removed. My dentist thought I was burning the roof of my mouth with cheese, turns out the Mercury was eating away at the rood of my mouth. I also tested positive for lots of food allergies. Casein, all dairy, goat and egg to name a few. I take the Glutenease when I am having a heavy carb meal. My Gene test is at the end of October and I am very curious to see what that says. My mother was dx with a Carb intolerance many yrs ago. Now I wonder if it was that or Gluten?

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Have you been tested for Lyme Disease?

You might want to pm rachel_24 or CarlaB on this board--Rachel is our resident expert on multiple issues. She was dealing with gluten intolerance, candida, mercury toxicity (yes, from amalgams!), and THEN she was diagnosed with Lyme DIsease. Interestingly, there is a LARGE number (hence, 2 separate threads) of member here who were diagnosed with Lyme AFTER being diagnosed with gluten intolerance or celiac. Carla was diagnosed with gluten intolerance and Lyme Disease and recently found out that her Sleep Number Mattress was ridden with mold.

Some people believe that Lyme can cause celiac.

Lisa Mentor
Rachel is our resident expert on multiple issues.

Yes, she has her own thread called "OMG..." You should check it out.

Jestgar Rising Star

I think it's more accurate to say that no one here is an expert. We all have our experiences and opinions, but that's all they are, opinions.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Everyone has their own unique experiences. But many people in here have actual knowledge. Not just opinions. :)

Lisa Mentor

I think that we should return this discussion back to the original post. I think it's wise. ;)

Lyme Disease information can be found on www.Lyme.net. Information regarding Celiac Disease and it's relate conditions can be found here on Celiac.com.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Back to the original post...Glutenease.....The horse that never dies. :o

Lisa Mentor
Back to the original post...Glutenease.....The horse that never dies. :o

SO TRUE! ;)

I do think that the original question has been satisfied.

• 7 years later...
catluver48 Newbie

Wow, I am mainly allergic to Wheat or so I believed) and have been on a Celiac Diet for about a year for stomach issues as well.  When I heard about Gluten Ease, my husband bought me a bottle and I realy thought that meant I could have some regular food again.  For the last two weeks, I have had horrible herpes, type lip sores that bleed and burn terribly.  The doctor had never seen anything like it.  Are you saying the Glutenease can cause this?  The bottle does say it blocks Wheat? This is terrible advertising.  I am done with it.

kareng Grand Master

Wow, I am mainly allergic to Wheat or so I believed) and have been on a Celiac Diet for about a year for stomach issues as well.  When I heard about Gluten Ease, my husband bought me a bottle and I realy thought that meant I could have some regular food again.  For the last two weeks, I have had horrible herpes, type lip sores that bleed and burn terribly.  The doctor had never seen anything like it.  Are you saying the Glutenease can cause this?  The bottle does say it blocks Wheat? This is terrible advertising.  I am done with it.

if you have celiac , there currently is no medication that will allow you to eat wheat.  But, you say you have an allergy - then there are no current cures for food allergies that I have heard of.  Certainly it would be dangerous to market one over the counter.  You will need an epi pen for accidental exposure.  But it doesn't sound like you actually have an allergy to wheat.  You actually sound like you might have Celiac.

Archived