This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutenease

Sugarfunk

Mango04 Enthusiast

But if it helps people who accidentally get cc'd, what's wrong with that?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lisa Mentor

I understand that it may with people with gluten sensitivities.

home-based-mom Contributor

I'm not going to quote Rachel's posts because they are so long, but in response to Post #50 and #51 in this thread, I agree with her 100%. It just makes more sense to be proactive than reactive when it comes to your health and well being.

I am certainly no one's shill and I take GlutenEase on a fairly regular basis because I feel better when I take it than when I don't. I work very hard at avoiding cross contamination, but I still feel better when I take it than when I don't.

Others in the forum take other enzymes and/or herbs for the same reason.

For the life of me I don't see why that should make someone else angry.

It works for me. If it doesn't work for you, then leave the bottle on the shelf and don't buy it. But don't go around bashing what works for me or what works for others.

VioletBlue Contributor

What pisses me off the most about this is the pseudo-science being used here. Most people in the U.S. have a minimal grasp of science to begin with and can't always distinguish between the nonsense and the honest real stuff.

The best test in the end is whether or not the product has gone through scientific testing by reputable labs with published results. That takes years and a whole lot of money to do. This product has not going through any testing. It's claims have not been verified by any known scientific organization. It's claims cannot be trusted. Your doctor will never prescribe this. It's junk. The science being offered here by the shills is phony science.

It's hard enough just convincing people to stick to a gluten free diet without people like this coming in and whispering in their ear "You can eat whatever you want." Where are these whisperers going to be ten years down the road when someone is being diagnosed with intestinal cancer?

What these shills are doing is cruel and vicious and they're most likely being paid to do it. Please don't listen to their phony science. They do not care about your health or well being, they only care about PROFITS.

This is another shill. Is there a way to report these to moderators?

Jack, [censored] you. You may be getting paid to do this poop but you're spreading misinformation which could cause great harm to an individual. What's to happen when some parent, who doesn't know any better, reads this crap and purchases it for their sick kid?

Self decency, you should look it up. You apparently sold yours for less than minimum wage.

Mango04 Enthusiast
I understand that it may with people with gluten sensitivities.

and also people with celiac disease. It won't prevent damage from being done, but it might ease symptoms. That's worth something (even though the product shouldn't be used as an excuse to deliberately cc yourself of course :))

ShayFL Enthusiast

I dont know if peeps are shilling or not. But what should be VERY CLEAR to anyone visiting these forums who is curious about Glutenease is that it is not intended for Celiac's to use so they can "eat whatever they want".

Enough members have come into this thread and others like it to make sure that no one thinks this is a "cure" or "free pass". You would have to have nothing inside your head to read all these posts and think otherwise.

That is what a group is about. Checks and balances. It is not one sided with posters saying this product is great. Others have come in and made clarification.

I do not think anyone will come in here, find a discussion on Glutenease and think they can give it to their child and let them eat gluten. I really dont because they will have to have enough intelligence to use a computer. And they can read. So they should be able to read all of the posts and figure it all out.

My 2 cents.

elonwy Enthusiast

I've been following this for a while, and my immediate reaction to this drug is "this can't be right". But people have said it works, so I went and delved further. The ingredients to this product are DPPIV, Amylase and Glocomylase, which are indeed enzymes, all of which help you digest proteins and starch faster. Nothing in it is really bad for you, as these are all things that occur in our bodies that we use to digest food. So basically you're just upping the amount of digestive enzymes in your system and getting the food through faster. Which I guess could help with CC, by moving the gluten by fast enough for your body not to react? I'm skeptical, to say the least. The other part of this coin is, there is nothing in this product that is new and special. Its just digestive enzymes your own body makes in a large quantity.

I have found personally, that when I take probiotics daily I get less affected by CC than when I don't (which makes sense considering that the gluten-free diet is very low in prebiotics, which helps with balance in all this). It works because it helps me digest better overall, which I believe is very similar to the actual effect of this glutenease product. It can stay up on the shelf with all the diet pills, as far as I'm concerned.

I hope that some of this helps with the "science" part. I had it dumbed down for me by my chemist friend, and pass that on to you.

Also, those with blood sugar issues may want to avoid this product, as it basically helps your body make sugar faster, and current research for diabetes includes DPP-IV inhibitors to prevent that from happening. At the very least I would say talk to your doctor about taking it if you have these issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cruelshoes Enthusiast
I do not think anyone will come in here, find a discussion on Glutenease and think they can give it to their child and let them eat gluten. I really dont because they will have to have enough intelligence to use a computer. And they can read. So they should be able to read all of the posts and figure it all out.

Glutenease comes up quite regularly here, and in the other celiac boards I visit. I'd search for some of the posts here, but I am at work and not supposed to be on the internet. :ph34r: There are most definitely people out there who use glutenease and believe it gives them license to eat whatever they want. Not everyone, but they are out there. I think we have all encountered people in our forum travels that are of the "sack of hammers" variety - regardless of the subject matter. :lol:

Enzymes definitely have their place. I've taken them myself. But until there has been much more double blind research on a confirmed celiac population to prove that it works, I'll be leaving these at the health food store.

And I have to believe if this type of product were any good for celiacs, it would be endorsed by one of the major celiac organizations. But all I hear from the about it is......crickets.........

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

Choose what you will, but to ME it's a no-brainer, with NO "bash" to those that do. ;)

Ridgewalker Contributor

My two cents...

Even if this product DOES work to relieve Celiac symptoms, it's still dangerous. It's NOT going to prevent intestinal damage. Therefore, all it's going to do is make it easier for people to "cheat." Isn't it hard enough to stick to this diet already? I consider myself fortunate, in a messed up way, that I have strong immediate reactions. Keeps me from damaging my body, just because I want a pizza. Yeah sure, it's everyone's right to hurt themselves. :angry: But I don't like that at all.

And btw... This Zack guy also plugged his own website (post #36,) which is against board rules. Sorry to point it out, but I've seen other people get warned for simply listing the address for their own recipe blog- and this guy's plugging a product. Fair is fair.

VioletBlue Contributor

I hope people truly do go to that linked site and read with a critical mind. The first three words there are "Gluten Intolerance Treatment". How many people new to Celiacs would read that and think "HEY, a cure." The entire thing is worded in such a way that the pseudo science takes over. It's not the digestion or incomplete digestion that gets us, IT'S THE GLUTEN. It doesn't matter how well we do or don't digest a slice of wheat bread, the same reaction is going to happen no matter what, villi damage.

Or how about this quote "The main treatment for gluten or casein intolerance has been to remove offending foods from a person's diet, also known as the Gluten-free Casein-free (gluten-free, casein-free) diet. Though effective in the short term, removing foods does not provide an ultimate solution. Once those foods are reintroduced to the diet, the symptoms return."

Since when is the gluten-free diet NOT the ultimate solution for gluten intolerance? The science here is just plain bad. It's snake oil and it's harming people.

Choose what you will, but to ME it's a no-brainer, with NO "bash" to those that do. ;)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I hope people truly do go to that linked site and read with a critical mind. The first three words there are "Gluten Intolerance Treatment". How many people new to Celiacs would read that and think "HEY, a cure."

Hmmm...maybe the ones who cant read very well?? :unsure:

Did you intentionally leave this part out of your post??

This new formula supports people suffering with gluten or casein intolerance. GlutenEase is not formulated to prevent celiac symptoms.

Those words are right at the top of the page....so I'm not sure why any Celiac who can read would be under the impression that they can purposely consume gluten without consequence...if they take the enzymes.

Or how about this quote "The main treatment for gluten or casein intolerance has been to remove offending foods from a person's diet, also known as the Gluten-free Casein-free (gluten-free, casein-free) diet. Though effective in the short term, removing foods does not provide an ultimate solution. Once those foods are reintroduced to the diet, the symptoms return."

And this is entirely true....FOR GLUTEN INTOLERANCE WHICH IS NOT CELIAC....which was already stated at the top of the page.

Since when is the gluten-free diet NOT the ultimate solution for gluten intolerance?

Ummm.....since lots of people have OTHER reasons for not being able to tolerate gluten. Remember, not everyone who is gluten intolerant has Celiac Disease. So for some people (like the majority of the autistic population) the gluten free diet is actually not the ultimate solution.

If you are reading this from the perspective of a Celiac....and totally IGNORING the part at the top of the page where they clearly state that the enzymes are not a treatment for Celiac....then I guess you could be misled. However, I dont think anyone who is LOOKING for a reason to cheat on their diet should be blaming anyone but themselves for any consequences that might occur as a result.

As we know, some people just dont want to follow the diet....some people cheat...some people will find any excuse to cheat...thats their own personal decision. Its their body and noone can force them to stick to the diet if they choose not to. I see no reason to attack the makers of these enzymes when they are making no claims that these are formulated to treat anyone with Celiac Disease.

If someone chooses to be irresponsibe with their diet....then thats not the fault of Enzymedica (or any other company making these enzymes).

The site is not even making the claim that the enzymes can be used for cross contamination issues. However, lots of Celiacs use them for that purpose...and lots of people report less "glutenings" as a result.

But yeah....I guess there are alot of others who would prefer to take their anti-diarrhea medications....or their pain meds instead. Its a personal choice. Dont bash people who choose to be proactive.

Unclezack Newbie
I have done alot of research on the enzymes. I also see Dr.'s who are treaing autistic children who have required the gluten-free/casein free diet due to leaky gut/dysbiosis issues.

They use these enzymes and they DO work for a large percentage of the kids.

This is not a "cure" for Celiac....and from what I could tell...it didnt appear that UncleZack was making any claims that a Celiac could purposely eat gluten with the use of these enzymes.

Every Celiac is at risk for cross contamination when eating out...or even when eating certain "gluten free" prepackaged foods. I really dont see where there is any harm in some people wanting to add a bit of "protection" for these instances. Is it better to just take the risk without using the enzymes....or is it better to take the risk while using the enzyme...just in case??

It doesnt seem like a "crazy" idea to want to use the enzymes....especially when alot of people DO benefit from them.

Personally, I'm a little confused by people who get so upset by things like this. If you havent actually tried the product...and if you havent actually researched the enzymes...why jump all over people who use them and who find them to be helpful??

I have no idea whether UncleZack is a "shill" or not....but just because you dont particularly "believe" in something doesnt make it OK to throw insults around.

The product is not intended for Celiacs to use in place of the diet.....and this is made very clear to anyone who chooses to look into it.

People use it to help them in circumstances where cross contamination is a possibility...and non-celiacs use it help digest gluten and other proteins. Some people simply lack the enzymes necessary to break the proteins down and by supplementing the enzymes they no longer have issues. Of course this does not apply to anyone with Celiac Disease....but only to some who are non celiac gluten sensitive.

Doctors use enzymes to help the autistic children...many of these kids are doing well with the addition of enzymes (not sure about Glutenease specifically as I've learned more about Peptizyde). These are the kids who are not Celiac...but alot of them are able to abandon the diet with the use of enzymes along with other treatments which improve gut issues.

If UncleZack were claiming that Glutenease is a cure for Celiac....then I could understand why some would be upset....however, thats not the message I got out of his posts.

Alot of people post about supplements (or meds) that help them after they've experienced a reaction from cross contamination. Lots of people are telling others what they use to ease their symptoms...after the harm has been done.

Why is it so terrible for someone to tell others what helps them to NOT end up in this situation?? Why is it so wrong for people to take something that might help them to avoid a reaction. This is not "acceptable"...and yet...its perfectly OK to discuss all of the things we should do or take after we've already done damage?? :huh:

Honestly, it doesnt make any sense to me.

I know that the enzymes help alot of people. They help people who are reacting to gluten for reasons other than Celiac Disease...and they help some people with Celiac Disease in situations where they might be cross contaminated.

If it were a perfect gluten free world...and noone ever experienced these "accidents"...then I suppose we wouldnt be having this discussion. However, its not realistic to believe that you can eat out all the time and not ever be at risk. Heck...its not even realistic to think you can eat at home and not ever be at risk....unless the entire house is gluten-free.

I dont think its right to "attack" members who use enzymes to help them in situations where they may be unknowingly exposed to gluten.

Like I said, I have no idea if UncleZack has other motives for posting....but I do know that enzmyes help alot of people....and I also know that many members here use them (both Celiac and non-Celiac). Although, after seeing these kinds of reactions...they may not wish to discuss it here.

Thanks Rachel,

I appreciate you reading my posts and personal experiences with enzyme use to help me cope with the issue of cross contamination. I had a feeling there were others who wanted to speak up in favor of glutenease but were afraid of being bashed or intimidated. Since your post, there have been several others who have have posted their experiences of actual use of the product. I'm expecting to read more personal experiences from people who have actually used this product. Let's hear it people, good or bad. Don't worry about the flat earth bashers, we can't all be working for Enzymedica!

I am 57 years old and have had intestinal problems since the age of 5 or 6 years. My mother took me to the doctor many times. I had many tests done. The only verdict was that I was allergic to citrus fruits, pollen and mold. As a young adult, I spent more time at the doctor. IBS was the verdict. The doctors solution was for me to eat a lot of whole grains.... 5 years ago, I was advised by an herbalist (I'll surely get bashed for this) to quit eating wheat. I quit for one week and felt like a totally different person. I needed to prove to myself that wheat was the culprit and that I wasn't just having a good week as I sometimes did. That did it for me! No more wheat ever again. I was so sick I thought I would die! I went gluten free. I spent hundreds of hours researching the disease as well as what processed foods were safe to eat. I still got cross contamination from time to time. I had to go back and look at every product we were using. One product that got me was a major brand of tomato sauce my wife had bought because the one that had been safe was not being stocked in our stores any longer. We donated a lot of foods that I could not eat and searched out the ones that were safe for me.

We are still working, but take as many road trips as we can. I had no success eating in restaurants without getting cross contamination. Eventually, I refused to eat in a restaurant at all. We traveled with a cooler, a propane stove and a set of dishes and cooked at parks or just alongside the road if there wasn't an appropriate place to stop. We did this for two years or longer.

I tried an Enzymedica product that was called V-gest which was later renamed Digest. It is similar to Glutenease. Glutenease hadn't been introduced at that time. I decided to try eating in a restaurant again. I took 2 capsules before and 2 after a meal and had no CC. I switched to a product called Acid Soothe because it basically did the same as Digest, but helped with acid reflux. We no longer carry cooking utensils. I eat in restaurants, ask questions as to what is in the food I am ordering and take my enzymes. I have some Glutenease, but the Acid Soothe works for me. However, in one of my previous posts I did tell of a time I ate orzo (wheat pasta) thinking it was fat grains of rice mixed in with the rest of the rice. I took 4 Glutenease and survived.

I would never advise anyone to intentionally eat gluten and take an enzyme to counteract the reaction, but CC happens. I'm sure that if gluten glowed, we would see it everywhere. If there are gluten eating people around you, you can be assured that they have contaminated most common surfaces that you will be touching too!

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Exactly!

It works for me. If it doesn't work for you, then leave the bottle on the shelf and don't buy it. But don't go around bashing what works for me or what works for others.

I agree 100%.

The best test in the end is whether or not the product has gone through scientific testing by reputable labs with published results.

Really?? Since when?? :huh:

I think one of the main themes on this board is that the BEST test is your own body's response. If your body responds favorably....isnt that a good thing?? Havent we all heard that here a gazillion times...TRUST your body and not the tests.

So all of a sudden none of that matters? :unsure:

It's claims have not been verified by any known scientific organization. It's claims cannot be trusted. Your doctor will never prescribe this. It's junk. The science being offered here by the shills is phony science.

My Dr.'s recommend them...and I can assure you that they are NOT shills. :)

They are recommending based on their own experience with many patients showing improvement while taking the enzymes....and NO....they are not saying to replace the diet with the enzymes.

So just because YOUR doctor doesnt mention it to YOU....doesnt mean that its junk.

And no....my doctors do not sell the enzymes...so they are not concerned with profit.

It's hard enough just convincing people to stick to a gluten free diet without people like this coming in and whispering in their ear "You can eat whatever you want." Where are these whisperers going to be ten years down the road when someone is being diagnosed with intestinal cancer?

I'm totally confused by that comment....because I'm pretty sure noone who is posting is saying "You can eat whatever you want". All anyone has to do is READ....if they are hearing "voices" that are telling them that its OK to eat gluten regardless of their diagnosis....well I cant say that the voices are coming from anyone here.

Even if this product DOES work to relieve Celiac symptoms, it's still dangerous. It's NOT going to prevent intestinal damage. Therefore, all it's going to do is make it easier for people to "cheat."

If people are going to cheat....they will cheat regardless.

I think the *point* some people are trying to make is that it may be better to minimize your risk for damage by taking the enzymes....rather than to just take all the accidental glutenings as they come. Afterall symptoms are a result of damage....so less symptoms would indicate less damage. :)

The enzymes are ENZYMES....they are not pain pills...they are not going to "mask" symptoms. So yes...in my opinion less symptoms = less damage.

When they come up with the prescription for Celiacs to take...some people will choose to take it and others wont. Its all a personal choice. When they DO come out with this new drug....it will be targeted directly at Celiacs...and ALL of the doctors will be recommending it. This is not the case with the enzymes....it is not marketed as a treatment for Celiac Disease.

home-based-mom Contributor
It's claims have not been verified by any known scientific organization. It's claims cannot be trusted. Your doctor will never prescribe this.

I believe this same statement could be ~ and probably has been ~ made about Enterolab, but Enterolab is recommended all over this board. Why? Because the product they offer is useful for some people, the same as can be said about GlutenEase.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Let's hear it people, good or bad. Don't worry about the flat earth bashers, we can't all be working for Enzymedica!

Yeah....and I can assure everyone here that I'm not working for any company making these enzymes. I'm not a shill. ;)

We've heard alot of negative responses from people who have never even tried the enzymes...has anyone tried them and had a bad experience?? Lets hear from people who have EXPERIENCE with the product.

I take enzymes designed for breaking down gluten and casein....although they are not Enzymedica brand.

..and for anyone interested.....when Pepitzyde was introduced as a treatment for non-celiac gluten and casein intolerance it was widely used specifically in the autistic population. Studies were done and the results were positive. The vast majority of those using the enzymes reported improvements.

Again...this was not used as a treatment for Celiac Disease.

Based on what I've read (from people who are actually using the enzymes)....in addition to what my doctors have told me from their experience...and based on my own personal experience...I think the enzymes are very helpful.

You can read about the study and the results here..

While I do think that scientific evidence is important...I also do place value on something that WORKS for alot of people. If I hear "mixed" results...then I'm not too sure....but when the overwhelming response is positive...well in my mind it cant be all that bad.

All of the negative reports come from people who've never tried the enzymes. <_<

Lisa Mentor

"All of the negative reports come from people who've never tried the enzymes. <_<"

Rachel--24 Collaborator
...or have Celiac Disease. ;) (my horse is dead... carry on)

Lisa,

Actually ALOT of Celiac's use enzymes to reduce risk from cross contamination....including members of this board.

If you really spend some time looking into it....you would be aware that non-celiacs AND Celiacs BOTH use the enzymes.....just for different reasons.

I dont have Celiac...so I can use the enzymes and actually eat gluten.

If I DID have Celiac....I would still use the enzymes....because they may protect me from possible exposures due to cross contamination....and they would also improve my digestion overall. It seems like a win/win to me.

How many times do people get cc'd here...from a restaraunt, from a meal at a friends house that was suppossed to be gluten-free, from a product which has issues of cc due to manufacturing, etc??

I'm talking about people with Celiac...and I'm saying that alot of people use the enzymes which help them in these types of situations. So for them it seems to help....because they report less incidences of sick days due to glutenings from "who knows where".

My horse is dead too. ;)

Ridgewalker Contributor
If people are going to cheat....they will cheat regardless.

I think the *point* some people are trying to make is that it may be better to minimize your risk for damage by taking the enzymes....rather than to just take all the accidental glutenings as they come. Afterall symptoms are a result of damage....so less symptoms would indicate less damage. :)

The enzymes are ENZYMES....they are not pain pills...they are not going to "mask" symptoms. So yes...in my opinion less symptoms = less damage.

As far as people cheating... you may be right. And yeah, that is certainly every person's choice.

And I dig what you're saying about this stuff being more than/different than pain pills. But I have to point out that we don't know to what extent less symptoms = less damage.

It definitely looks like there isn't a perfect correlation between the two. I say that because 1- There are people who are horribly symptomatic, who show little to know intestinal damage; and probably even more significantly- 2- There are people who show visible intestinal damage, who are asymptomatic!

So... my opinion would have to be that even if you're talking about enzymes that actually do something instead of masking symptoms, less symptoms doesn't necessarily equal less damage. I probably shouldn't have said so definitively that it doesn't prevent intestinal damage- Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

But I'm definitely not bashing anyone who chooses to try it, and I'm glad that it's being discussed here. I've recently come across some message boards for another disease that don't even allow discussion of alternative treatments... and I think that's very wrong.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
And I dig what you're saying about this stuff being more than/different than pain pills. But I have to point out that we don't know to what extent less symptoms = less damage.

It definitely looks like there isn't a perfect correlation between the two. I say that because 1- There are people who are horribly symptomatic, who show little to know intestinal damage; and probably even more significantly- 2- There are people who show visible intestinal damage, who are asymptomatic!

So... my opinion would have to be that even if you're talking about enzymes that actually do something instead of masking symptoms, less symptoms doesn't necessarily equal less damage. I probably shouldn't have said so definitively that it doesn't prevent intestinal damage- Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

My thoughts are that if "symptomatic" people seem to feel better and have less accidental glutenings while taking the enzymes....then those who are "asymptomatic" would also presumably have some benefit...even if they cant *feel* a difference.

Of course we dont know for certain....but it makes sense to me that it would have the same benefits in either case.

A person who is asymptomatic can eat gluten all day and not feel any symptoms.....but obviously they still have to follow the diet 100%. In my opinion....since they really have no idea if they're being glutened or not....it might be a really good thing for them to have that little bit of added protection....just in case they are getting some gluten in and are totally unaware of it.

After having researched it I know for certain that if I had Celiac I would use the enzymes regularly...because even if I'm very diligent its still possible to have accidental exposures. If I had a child who was diagnosed Celiac...I would do the same...because I cant be 100% sure that no gluten is sneaking in. I just think there is no harm in improving digestion...and in the process of breaking down gluten more efficiently...hopefully there is less chance for damage.

Since its not something that can cause harm...and since so many other people have positive things to say re: enzymes....I figure "Why not??".

tom Contributor

I think it can cause harm by giving a Celiac a false sense of security, leading to riskier eating, which leads to more damage.

I don't think there's a way to know whether glutenease is effective at reducing cc symptoms, since practically by definition, ppl w/out a reaction don't know whether they've been cc'd.

I'm only specifically addressing whether glutenease is a good idea for a celiac - not whether it can help non-celiacs and not whether OTHER enzymes can help celiacs.

UncleZack did say he has celiac disease.

"His" webpage reads like a thinly-veiled sales pitch to me.

I don't know that it is - I'm giving my impression.

From "his" webpage:

" .. ..but if you absolutely refuse to give up eating glutinous[sic] grains, then, by all means, take GlutenEase with every meal that you eat that contains gluten."

I find such talk highly irresponsible.

Some may disagree w/ me, pointing out that the words "gluten-intolerant" are used in that paragraph instead of "celiac", but the page IS @ spruehelp, not glutenintoleranthelp, and the page earlier presented the widely-held opinion that GI & celiac are one.

Ridgewalker Contributor
My thoughts are that if "symptomatic" people seem to feel better and have less accidental glutenings while taking the enzymes....then those who are "asymptomatic" would also presumably have some benefit...even if they cant *feel* a difference.

Of course we dont know for certain....but it makes sense to me that it would have the same benefits in either case.

A person who is asymptomatic can eat gluten all day and not feel any symptoms.....but obviously they still have to follow the diet 100%. In my opinion....since they really have no idea if they're being glutened or not....it might be a really good thing for them to have that little bit of added protection....just in case they are getting some gluten in and are totally unaware of it.

After having researched it I know for certain that if I had Celiac I would use the enzymes regularly...because even if I'm very diligent its still possible to have accidental exposures. If I had a child who was diagnosed Celiac...I would do the same...because I cant be 100% sure that no gluten is sneaking in. I just think there is no harm in improving digestion...and in the process of breaking down gluten more efficiently...hopefully there is less chance for damage.

Since its not something that can cause harm...and since so many other people have positive things to say re: enzymes....I figure "Why not??".

While I certainly agree that improving digestion is, in general, a fine idea, the enzyme does do harm if it masks symptoms of intestinal damage, which is still what I think it's doing- if it does anything at all- because there is no evidence that it prevents or diminishes intestinal damage. Even the company itself doesn't claim that it does.

I have to say, I'm quite surprised that you're now taking the stance that GlutenEase not only relieves symptoms, but prevents intestinal damage in people with Celiac Disease.

There simply is no concrete correlation between intestinal damage and how symptomatic you are. If there were, you wouldn't have people so ill that they're in the hospital, still showing up with negative test results... and asymptomatic Celiacs wouldn't exist.

There are "silent" diseases across the medical spectrum. Just because you don't feel them (yet?) doesn't mean they're not there.

I'm very disturbed that anyone would assume that the lack of symptoms would mean that no damage is being done. :( I think that is precisely the problem with this type of product.

(BTW, I've rewritten this post about 5 times, trying not to offend anyone or pick a fight. I hope I've been successful... but I have to say what I believe.)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I think it can cause harm by giving a Celiac a false sense of security, leading to riskier eating, which leads to more damage.

Well I think that just goes back to taking responsibility for your diet. Many people with Celiac are eating risky...WITHOUT the enzyme. Some just eat gluten outright....some dont follow the diet AT ALL.

I think most Celiacs know what they have to do to keep themselves healthy. If some choose to risk their health...I dont think anyone can prevent that. No matter how hard you try you cant convince every Celiac to take their diet as seriously as you take yours. Some people arent going to listen...unfortuantely thats just the way it is.

Some people DO take their health very seriously...and some of those people want to take the enzymes to reduce their risk....and not so that they can start cheating on their diet.

I think if someone is symptomatic and taking risks with their diet...they are going to *feel* the effects. The enyzmes are not meant for Celiac's to intentionally eat gluten..... they are not meant as a treatment for the disease...they arent a "free pass"...and they do not mask symptoms.

Unclezack Newbie
Just want to say that there are a lot of critics here who want to say that a product they never tried doesn't work. I have been gluten free for 5 years. At first, because of a lot of intestinal damage, I had a hard time digesting any food. I tried a product by Enzymedica called Acid Soothe. It contains many of the same properties as Glutenease in lower dosages and also contains some herbs that help digestion. When I finally got brave enough to eat a meal in a restaurant, I found that the slightest cross contamination would make me sick. My herbalist suggested that I take a few Acid Soothe capsules with a meal. The enzyme action was enough to protect me. I know this because the times that I got poisoned, my belly would become distended and full of gas. With the enzymes, I would feel a slight bloated feeling that wasn't extremely uncomfortable, pass gas one time and it was over and done with.

When Glutenease first came out, my herbalist offered me a bottle at no charge and asked me to report back the results. I told him I was extremely careful about gluten and I might not have any good answers for him. I considered politely turning down his free offer, as Glutenease is fairly expensive and I didn't want to come back without a testimonial, but I took the bottle.

I am extremely sensitive to gluten and could be sick for three days if I ate something with gluten. We went to a restaurant we used to eat at often. I ordered sauteed prawns, rice pilaf and salad without croutons as usual. They had gotten a new cook. Halfway through my meal, I was wondering why some of the rice grains were bigger than the others. I was told that the big grains weren't rice, but that they were "orzo" a wheat pasta that looks like rice. OOPS! I took two Glutenease then and two more about an hour later. I could tell in the morning that my bowel felt a little bit like I was going to spend half of the day on the toilet, but it didn't happen! I know Glutenease worked for me. I won't eat gluten on purpose, but I always carry a few Glutenease along with my usual Acid Soothe.

I know the non believers will probably try to rip me apart.

Check it out. I am real and have spent many hours putting together information to help people who have wheat intolerance or Celiac disease. There are references to products I use, but I do not receive any compensation for mentioning them other than the satisfaction of helping others.

Jack Andreasen

Ridgewalker Contributor
Some people DO take their health very seriously...and some of those people want to take the enzymes to reduce their risk....and not so that they can start cheating on their diet.

I think if someone is symptomatic and taking risks with their diet...they are going to *feel* the effects. The enyzmes are not meant for Celiac's to intentionally eat gluten..... they are not meant as a treatment for the disease...they arent a "free pass"...and they do not mask symptoms.

They take enzymes to reduce their risk for what, though? Symptoms or intestinal damage? I don't think I'm splitting hairs by asking that... It's a very important distinction.

If this enzyme did diminish or prevent intestinal damage... that WOULD be a treatment for Celiac Disease. The entire Celiac medical community would be all over it like flies on poop.

If it doesn't do that, than it does just mask symptoms, and is only a step above Immodium.

Archived