• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Sweetfudge

Need Ancho Chili Powder, Bought Some Dried Chilis

Rate this topic

so, i've been trying to find ancho chili powder all week. i've checked just about every grocery store in the area, even the health food stores, with no luck. i went to the local mercado, and found some dried ancho chilis. was wondering if i could use these to make powder somehow. i've thought maybe i could grind them in my little coffee grinder that i use to grind nuts. or put them in a bowl, and grind them with a cup like a mortar and pestle. also, if i did either of these, would i want to use the seeds or remove them?

my other option is to go to Williams-Sonoma where i'm sure they have the powder. i'm just not sure i want to pay that much for something i might use in a few recipes...although my cousin used to work there, and i think she still has her discount (on maternity leave).

so, i've been trying to find ancho chili powder all week. i've checked just about every grocery store in the area, even the health food stores, with no luck. i went to the local mercado, and found some dried ancho chilis. was wondering if i could use these to make powder somehow. i've thought maybe i could grind them in my little coffee grinder that i use to grind nuts. or put them in a bowl, and grind them with a cup like a mortar and pestle. also, if i did either of these, would i want to use the seeds or remove them?

my other option is to go to Williams-Sonoma where i'm sure they have the powder. i'm just not sure i want to pay that much for something i might use in a few recipes...although my cousin used to work there, and i think she still has her discount (on maternity leave).

McCormick makes ancho but I don't see it in every store. I usually coarsely chop them but I'm sure you could use a coffee grinder if you wanted a powder. If you cook it long enough I doubt you'll be able to see a difference. I also use the seeds - it makes it hotter!

thanks guys!

Do you have a mortar & pestle Sweetheart? :)

I miss ancho chilis! ;):P

Do you have a mortar & pestle Sweetheart? :)

of course i do! ;)

I use a coffee grinder (I bought another one just for this purpose, only cost $10) for ancho, dried chipotely, and any other dried peppers I can find. I sprinkle it on chicken, with paprika for color, and other spices before cooking. I add it to my homemade salsas in addition to the fresh peppers to give more heat and flavor layers. I use it in chili, taco soup, and taco meat seasoning.

I use a mix of habernero, jalepeno, and cayenne powder to preseason hot wings before marinating in hot wing sauce.

best regards, lm

p.s., Some of these peppers are a little tough. If you want a fine powder, I personally wouldn't use a mortar & pestle unless you bake, cook, or dry them out pretty good first. A coffee grinder will do it in seconds without all the fuss.

I use a coffee grinder (I bought another one just for this purpose, only cost $10) for ancho, dried chipotely, and any other dried peppers I can find. I sprinkle it on chicken, with paprika for color, and other spices before cooking. I add it to my homemade salsas in addition to the fresh peppers to give more heat and flavor layers. I use it in chili, taco soup, and taco meat seasoning.

I use a mix of habernero, jalepeno, and cayenne powder to preseason hot wings before marinating in hot wing sauce.

best regards, lm

p.s., Some of these peppers are a little tough. If you want a fine powder, I personally wouldn't use a mortar & pestle unless you bake, cook, or dry them out pretty good first. A coffee grinder will do it in seconds without all the fuss.

ooh, i'll have to try it on chicken! yeah, i don't drink coffee, just went out and bought a $10 grinder for nuts and flax and such. worked really great for this as well. yeah, i was pretty surprised at how tough the peppers were. i also was confused because when i opened the bag, they smelled like prunes. so, of course, i stuck my finger into the powder and took a taste, worried that i'd gotten the wrong thing. LOL my mouth was on fire! definitely not prunes!

i was mostly kidding about the mortar and pestle idea :)

by the way, what's the best way to store the peppers/powder?

I got some small sprinkle jars (they look like miniature mason jars with a handle and a white top) from walmart. I think they are 75 cents. They don't hold a lot, maybe 2-3 ounces. I had to drill out the holes a bit to improve the delivery. One I cover with some foil & rubber band when not in use. And the other one I use the top insert that came with it. I just poke it out with a toothpick when I use it.

A trick I used to use to get the spices/peppers out of the coffee grinder in order to use it for something else is to grind bread (like soft white bread). Of course one could just use gluten-free bread.

best regards, lm

I got some small sprinkle jars (they look like miniature mason jars with a handle and a white top) from walmart. I think they are 75 cents. They don't hold a lot, maybe 2-3 ounces. I had to drill out the holes a bit to improve the delivery. One I cover with some foil & rubber band when not in use. And the other one I use the top insert that came with it. I just poke it out with a toothpick when I use it.

A trick I used to use to get the spices/peppers out of the coffee grinder in order to use it for something else is to grind bread (like soft white bread). Of course one could just use gluten-free bread.

best regards, lm

great ideas! ooh, chili bread crumbs!

Hey Sweetheart!

I store my spices in old spice containers. I keep the glass ones and just rewash them. :)

We have a Winco in the big city with bulk spices. I buy spice shaker bottles there. Clear plastic with a red lid, about 50 cents each.

thanks y'all!

Just a hint from the voice of experience; wear gloves when working with your chilis. It's too easy to touch your body with chili on it and o-o-o-o-eeeeeeeeee! I also use bread to clean my grinder. I wish I could have some chilis right now!

Just a hint from the voice of experience; wear gloves when working with your chilis. It's too easy to touch your body with chili on it and o-o-o-o-eeeeeeeeee!.....

Amen to that. I chopped up some haberneros the other night and later rubbed my eye. It hurt real bad.

lm

good to know! thanks :)