• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

jamiedolan

Red Lobster

Rate this topic

One board member reported doing OK at her local Red Lobster, but I don't remember what she ate. Everyone else has pretty much had a disaster. They do not offer gluten free choices and are clueless about cross contamination. From what I remember about their website the tone was basically if you have food issues, eat somewhere else because they are not interested in accommodating you.

Definitely do not trust the seasoned vegetables. Plain salad may or may not be OPK depending on cc with croutons. Even the potato and the steak may arrive at the restaurant already coated with a contaminated seasoning.

Surely there must be another choice where you can both get something to eat?

Thanks for the response. I just read some more posts about them, and I do see what you mean, most everyone is complaining about them messing everything up and gluten being in everything.

I did find a recipe for there cheese biscuits - Gluten Free, and found recipes for there Cajun and coconut shrimp (what she really wants from there anyway). So looks like I am going to spend the next few hours shopping and cooking!! :-)

Thanks

Jamie

I eat steamed crab legs, uncut baked potato, and unseasoned vegetables. The manager always comes and talks with me at my Red Lobster after I give them my card. They do make mistakes though, but then most restaurants do, but they always realize they do it and I never have had any problems.

Whole Foods makes some pre-made cheese biscuits that are REALLY good and very comparable to Red Lobster biscuits. You can find them in the freezer section. Cheese biscuits were one of my favorites as well. As for eating seafood, Bonefish Grille (a chain restaurant) has an actual gluten-free menu and could be an option for you if one is in your area. I haven't gone to the one near me yet, so I can't give you a first hand account.

Red lobster is usally one of the places i love to go to eat. I usally end up getting crab legs or "pick two" shirimp combo. Salad with no crutons and a plain baked potatoe.

Never get sick except when they put the crutons on the salad, but i blame myself for just picking them off not sending it back.

I've been to Red Lobster a few times... I've never had a problem. I've had the blackened catfish or just a broiled filet of whatever... baked potato... coleslaw instead of a tossed salad. They couldn't tell me what kind of vinegar they served so I didn't trust any salad dressings.

We have about $15 left on a gift card and knowing that before gluten-free my husband had gotten sick from what we thought was the scampi cooked in wine--never imagined it was those yummy biscuits--I thought I would email red lobster. Here is the response they sent. :wacko:

Their response just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Thank you for your interest in Red Lobster; it is always a pleasure to hear from

our guests.

We appreciate your inquiry regarding the availability of gluten-free items on

our menu. Because your health is so important to us, we cannot guarantee

anything on our menus to be free of gluten.

Red Lobster's kitchens are not allergen-free environments and neither are those

of our suppliers. In addition, all of our fried food selections are prepared in

shared fryers and our grills are shared cooking surfaces. Because of these

processes, we cannot guarantee that seemingly gluten-free items have not come

into contact with gluten.

To minimize potential contact with gluten-containing items you may wish to

consider ordering steamed crab legs or steamed Maine lobster, broiled fish or

chicken with no seasonings or marinades and steamed vegetables with no

seasonings.

Please speak with the manager and your server prior to ordering to alert them of

your specific dietary restrictions.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us