This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Use Asmanex?

mammajamma

mammajamma Rookie

I posted this in the "medicines" section but didn't get a response... I thought I'd try here...

does anyone take Asmanex? It is an inhaler, I take it daily for mild asthma. The pharmacist told me it was gluten-free months ago when I was diagnosed Celiac. Last wekk I needed to refill and just didn't have time to pick it up... before I knew it, I had gone for 3 days without taking Asmanex, and I realized my belly felt SO much better! In several ways :P Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here as had any experiences with it? I have since gone to www.glutenfreedrugs.com and it was NOT listed... but how reliable is that? My dr. and pharmacist both told me it was safe but I'm thinking it's a problem.... thanks for any input you can give me!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Are you by any chance either lactose or casien intolerant also? If so this med is not for you. In addition many of us with asthma see a great reduction or even elimination of asthma symptoms after we have been gluten free for a while. If you forgot it during those 3 days and didn't have an event perhaps you should talk to your doctor and see whether you still need a daily med for a mild condition.

Open Original Shared Link

The ASMANEX TWISTHALER 220 mcg product is a cap-activated inhalation-driven multi-dose dry powder inhaler containing mometasone furoate and anhydrous lactose (which contains milk proteins).

Open Original Shared Link

What side effects may I notice from this medicine? (Back to top)

Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:

changes in vision

infection

trouble breathing or wheezing

unusual swelling

white patches or sores in the mouth or throat

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):

coughing, hoarseness or throat irritation

dry mouth

headache

loss of taste, or unpleasant taste

stomach upset

mammajamma Rookie

Thank you for the info! I am thinking that lactose/casein is not an issue since I have yogurt and cheese each day (if you take THAT away from me I'll really be sunk!)... but who knows! In any case I am going to see what happens and make a visit to the dr... the Asmanex is like a daily maintainence med.

mushroom Proficient
I am thinking that lactose/casein is not an issue since I have yogurt and cheese each day

Thre are some of us who can handle casein just fine, but not the lactose. Like you, I have yogurt and cheese every day, but milk, cream and ice cream are still deadly for me (or at least I have not dared to test them lately--maybe one of these days I will try a challenge. I do have a little bit of milk in a capucchino now :o without problem (10 months gluten free).

mammajamma Rookie
Thre are some of us who can handle casein just fine, but not the lactose. Like you, I have yogurt and cheese every day, but milk, cream and ice cream are still deadly for me (or at least I have not dared to test them lately--maybe one of these days I will try a challenge. I do have a little bit of milk in a capucchino now :o without problem (10 months gluten free).

I have cereal with milk and ice cream as well... no problems with those things that I'm aware of...

it might be time for a strict food diary :unsure:

lindelxox Newbie
I posted this in the "medicines" section but didn't get a response... I thought I'd try here...

does anyone take Asmanex? It is an inhaler, I take it daily for mild asthma. The pharmacist told me it was gluten-free months ago when I was diagnosed Celiac. Last wekk I needed to refill and just didn't have time to pick it up... before I knew it, I had gone for 3 days without taking Asmanex, and I realized my belly felt SO much better! In several ways :P Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here as had any experiences with it? I have since gone to www.glutenfreedrugs.com and it was NOT listed... but how reliable is that? My dr. and pharmacist both told me it was safe but I'm thinking it's a problem.... thanks for any input you can give me!

well....that happened to me aswell and i think that wat has happened is that since you have been diagnosed, your body reacts to more things OR to the things that you used to be able to eat/use/take are now setting your body off to react with (in your case) a bloated belly. you may think im crazy saying this and i'm ONLY 13 and i know EXACTLY what you are going through because i am gluten intolerant. YES..it sucks to be a coeliac.....doesn't it? :angry::rolleyes:

Archived