This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is Up With My Dd And Her Stools

nitu-752002

nitu-752002 Apprentice

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. My DD was having problems with constipation/stool consistency issues and weight gain so i decided to try the gluten free diet to see if things improve. It seems ever since starting this, things have gone from bad to worse...so is it possible gluten is not the issue?

My DD was having constipation so when she did have a BM she would pass hard stools then watery stools but now she goes daily, just once, but the stool is green, mucousy and very very watery what could be going on? Am i missing something, can anyone help.

Thanks

Nitu

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Welcome!

How long gluten-free? The first few months can have a range of "strange" symptoms as the body heals itself. Sometimes one can feel worse before better. Also, a lot of people who have gluten issues need to cut out dairy (at least for a few months) for the body to completely heal.

nitu-752002 Apprentice

She has been dairy free always, same for soy. She has been gltuen free for little less than 1 week and i am not sure if it is a problem to begin with although i plan to keep her gluten free for at least a month or two.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Oh yeah...you can see some weird stuff in the first 4-6 weeks. I had always had loose stool, but always brown. But after going gluten-free...must have been a week or so in...I had a strange pale almost white thing in the bowl. It freaked me out. But after that....back to brown and have been ever since. I have had some foul smelling stuff too. I get green when I am not digesting well and I eat something green like spinach.

A gross topic for most. But hey...everyone poops. :)

sugarsue Enthusiast
Oh yeah...you can see some weird stuff in the first 4-6 weeks. I had always had loose stool, but always brown. But after going gluten-free...must have been a week or so in...I had a strange pale almost white thing in the bowl. It freaked me out. But after that....back to brown and have been ever since. I have had some foul smelling stuff too. I get green when I am not digesting well and I eat something green like spinach.

A gross topic for most. But hey...everyone poops. :)

Hi, you just made me notice that my daughter's poop is not smelling as foul as it was. Her diarrhea is much better (she'd usually have one very bad one each day) but still it's not super formed now and seems to be changing daily. Now, she seems to have to poop almost everytime she goes. I can see that it must be her body working things out so to speak.

Nitu, she's been gluten-free for 1 1/2 weeks. I hope your dd feels better on gluten-free and that you continue to see changes that help you determine whether it's helping or not.

Susan

mftnchn Explorer

First of all, perhaps you know this, but the alternating constipation and watery stool is a very common presentation for celiac. So I think you are on the right track.

Also, I think it is very possible he will go through a process of changes before getting more normal. It may be that the first step is that the intestinal peristalsis is starting to normalize. That may mean that you are seeing more of the reality--mucous in the stool and perhaps undigested food. The mucous could be undigested fat--a very common sign of malabsorption and one of the distinguishing symptoms as well. The mucous could also be part of the cleansing process.

I was reading yesterday that mucous production is increased because the body is trying to protect itself from the onslaught of the gluten or whatever is attacking it. So there is quite a layer of mucous and it keeps getting produced. As healing occurs this will quiet down, less mucous produced, the extra slough off, etc.

At this point of one week gluten free, I'd consider what you describe as improvement rather than getting worse. Hang in there and see what happens. If you don't see a steady change toward improvement, then I'd consider the milk and then other things that can impede the healing process. I think it is worth trying gluten-free alone though--it could do the trick if you give it enough time.

mymagicalchild Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. My DD was having problems with constipation/stool consistency issues and weight gain so i decided to try the gluten free diet to see if things improve. It seems ever since starting this, things have gone from bad to worse...so is it possible gluten is not the issue?

My DD was having constipation so when she did have a BM she would pass hard stools then watery stools but now she goes daily, just once, but the stool is green, mucousy and very very watery what could be going on? Am i missing something, can anyone help.

Thanks

Nitu

Hi, Nitu...I would go to the top of your "glutenfreeforum" page and type in "gut dysbiosis" in the search bar. You'll get a lot of postings on this site, but what you really want to read is the review on the "Gut and Psychology Syndrome...." book by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride.

There is an excellent review of it on the "westonaprice.org/bookreviews/gaps.html" site, but I don't know how to paste that. You'll have to type it in your "http:" line at the top of your computer page.

Your daughter may or may not be gluten-intolerant. She ALMOST ASSUREDLY has gut dysbiosis. The Proof is in the Poo.

Good Luck!

PS: What I would do immediately is introduce a high-fiber smoothie with coconut oil in it. My preference is organic carrot juice as the base. The fiber pushes stuff through. The coconut oil (3 tablespoons per day) kills the "bad actors" in the gut. The carrot juice facilitates bowel movement. I like to take it at night.

PPS: I'm thinking there are steps in the process: 1) begin normal evacuation of daily food intake; 2) change the diet to eliminate intolerable foods; 3) replace friendly flora with a widespread, full-spectrum continuous dosing of healthy probiotic organisms (which DOES NOT include commerical yoghurt); 4) begin repairing and rebuilding the integrity of the intestinal/bowel/colon lining.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived