• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

one more mile

Results! Rewards Of Being gluten-free

Rate this topic

Often these posts can be downers. I though it would be nice to hear some of peoples positive experiences since becoming Gluten free.

If you are reading this post you know the trauma and pain it took to get to this point, no need for me to rehash it.

I found out something amazing this week. I do not have weak ankles. I love to walk,but trip alot. I thought it was my ankle being weak. I was so delighted when I was hiking last week and tripped three times on roots and rocks and did not fall!

The one time I thought I was going down but was able to catch myself. It may sound like a little thing but it is so nice to have that fear of falling leaving me.

Here are a few more positive things about being gluten free:

• losing weight
  • sleeping 2 hours less
  • being able to traval
  • not having bad days were all I can do is sit and watch tv
  • I feel Happy!
  • losing bloat in my hands and feet and tummy
  • clearer mind
  • no pain in my head when I orgasim
  • fibro pain gone
  • I do not feel sick all the time
  • less back pain
  • able to work more( I am self employed)
  • easier pms
  • I want to walk not have to walk for exercise
  • not complaining all the time
  • I am dealing more with the solution then the problem
  • I eat till I am full not untill my gut hurts

What benefits have you seen in your life now that you have found the solution?

So far: migraines gone, neuropathy better and vertigo better. I had to make some other dietary changes for some other benefits. But these 3 I can attribute to gluten-free.

Great minds think alike! Here is a thread I started a few years ago:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...c=12439&hl=

I've seen more improvements as well: dizzyness is gone, sinus issues are gone, itching is gone...I don't know how much is due to gluten/casein or the other things I've been doing, but it's improvement and I'm happy about it, lol.

I just looked at Donna's old thread and saw that I was still itching at that point. :P Well, I hadn't been gluten-free for all that long, and I'm happy to report that I don't itch like that any more!

Other good things--no more:

tingling and numbness

burning in my face, mouth and on the bottoms of my feet

anemia

nausea

waking up afraid to face the day

being unable to sleep a full night

panic attacks

dizziness

chicken pox-like itchy spots on my fingers

eczema on my eyelids

hip pain severe enough that it hurt to turn over in bed

foggy thinking (well, most of the time ;) )

unsteady gait, sometimes not knowing where to put my foot down when walking

hair loss

sinus infections

easy bruising

food getting stuck in my throat, feelings of being about to choke on food, tonsil rocks

pain at the base of my skull

No more

brain fog

weight loss (5'7" 105lbs, now I'm 145 lbs)

icky poo!

passing out

NAUSEA

running into things

missing work

panic

fear

depression

boring food!

fearsome headaches

unexplained fevers

#1 thing I got rid of: "I'll fatten you up!"

And now I'm a rockin cook, baker, smoothie maker.....

Ok, I'm getting silly.

Pass the optimism around! :)

For me, no more:

-nausea after eating

-constant stomach cramps

-constipation

-mouth sores

-migraines

Fatigue is still there, but is much better than it was. I've put myself on supplements to see if it helps.

30 years of basically good health. I was lucky to be diagnosed within 9 months of the onset of symptoms. I have been able to work, have a child and travel. If I had not been gluten free I would have been very sick.

Th pain, the pain, the PAIN!!

Since going gluten free - almost/only 1 month now I feel better than ever!

Starting to see slight weightloss ;)

Able to make it through the whole day w/o being couched

Finding that there is delicious food

Not being in a fog

Getting back into cooking like I used to be

Just making each day a little better - I think THAT is the best thing since changing my diet

Best to all! :):)

I wanna play! :D

No more or mostly gone:

Migraines

Brain Fog

Flashing lights

Fatigue

My "Tantrums"--there's just no better way to describe it

Rash on face

Lost the weight that I had gained when I felt so bad

No more

brain fog

weight loss (5'7" 105lbs, now I'm 145 lbs)

icky poo!

passing out

NAUSEA

running into things

missing work

panic

fear

depression

boring food!

fearsome headaches

unexplained fevers

#1 thing I got rid of: "I'll fatten you up!"

And now I'm a rockin cook, baker, smoothie maker.....

Ok, I'm getting silly.

Oh yeah, I forgot! My lips no longer molt like a snake on a daily basis.

I have been gluten-free since Feb and my body has changed soo much. I am attuned with myself now, so crazy!

Anxiety - panic attack daily it was so bad

Digestive problems

Bathroom was my number 1 love lol

Cramps

Migraines

Dizzy

Foggy

Always hungry

Clothes falling off me

Being tired all the time

I feel great now. I so glad to be gluten-free, it saved me. I am surprised I didnt kill over from heart failure. My smell has enhanced, people make fun of me lol.

I've been Gluten Free for just over a month and can honestly see and feel changes!! YEAH :D

I'm not as tired as I used to be, I have alot more energy then I used too. I used to have to take a nap at lunch to make it through the day.

I'm not getting as sick and I used too. I would get sick as soon as I ate dinner or lunch. or ANYTHING.

Headaches are gone! yeah

Not afraid to eat, well sometimes I still am but I get over it.

and Im loosing weight too! Not a whole lot but some!

No more Diareha! haha Finnally firm stool again! most of the time not 100%

I got to go back to the Doc in a couple of weeks to see what he says, hopefully he will be happy and I wont have to have a colonoscopy. :(

Let me see, what immediately comes to mind...

Migraines gone

Digestive woes ended

joint pain gone

sinus stuffiness gone

asthma symptoms gone

itchy skin rashes gone (face & ankles)

nausea after eating gone

heartburn gone

cough gone

more energy (continual tiredness gone)

dizzy spells gone

terrible bruising gone (bump into anything & I'd have a huge bruise)

mouth sores gone....they reappear with any gluten that I eat even now

Wow, that's quite a list. Surprises even me! :D

Let me see, what immediately comes to mind...

Migraines gone

Digestive woes ended

joint pain gone

sinus stuffiness gone

asthma symptoms gone

itchy skin rashes gone (face & ankles)

nausea after eating gone

heartburn gone

cough gone

more energy (continual tiredness gone)

dizzy spells gone

terrible bruising gone (bump into anything & I'd have a huge bruise)

mouth sores gone....they reappear with any gluten that I eat even now

Wow, that's quite a list. Surprises even me! :D

Oh yeah! My nose stopped running like an Olympian. My nickname as a kid was glue factory. This is fun, I couldn't even remember all the things that used to be wrong with me, I feel so much better than I used to. Now THAT'S cool!

migraines

depression

anxiety

mania

dizziness

vertigo

irrational fears

passing out

floating spots before my eyes

sudden blurred vision

tunnel vision

severe eye pain and twitching

adult acne

ear infections

sinus infections

50% of allergy symptoms

ulcers in mouth

infected tonsils

constant back pain (75% gone)

rheumatoid arthritis pain/swelling (50% better, most days)

smelly foul loud belching

always C, unless having D

menstrual cramps etc. (90% better)

unexplained bruising

itchy rashes

neuropathy

fibromyalgia

shooting nerve pain

muscle spasms/cramps

night time leg cramps

loss of use of hands and feet

severe motor impairment

broken toes (I suppose that was from such a huge vitamin deficiency)

a million vitamin deficiencies

constantly feeling like I just didn't know how much longer I could go on in such pain

.....that last one is the best thing I've gotten rid of. I love my life now.

I'm sure I've forgotten 70 or 80 things. I started at the top of my head and worked my way down!

Thanks to everyone for sharing. This is great to see how many of us there are that have gone through so many things, many of you feeling the same as I did, and finally finding out that it all has a name.

really? I am so encouraged by reading this thread!

I can only hope that I will find as varied a relief as these accounts!

I have OCD, nasal allergies, psoriasis, extreme light-headedness, poor enamel, joint pain, depression, headaches, migraines, etc.

I have just started the gluten-free diet and it has already eliminated my digestive problems. Honestly, I'd be happy if it stopped there but you guys are an inspiration! I will keep my fingers crossed that I may see some other effects!

BRAVO!

Good things:

no more BLOATING!!

no more mid-day crashing - have energy all day

sleeping better

chronic throat clearing is gone

BM's (no need to say more!)

no more carb craving - I eat at mealtimes and I'm satisfied

all in all it's has been wonderful

The big ones for me include getting rid of:

Migraines

Anxiety/depression

weight loss

dark circles under my eyes

eczema

fatigue

always feeling "sick"

I feel like these days, I'm just functioning overall a lot better. There were a lot of little things that stopped as well, like bleeding gums, sinus infections, cramps, hair loss... I can't even remember all of it anymore.

It's just been so nice to be able to think clearly and focus for a change, and for people to stop approaching me about my "anorexia" issue. I've never had an eating disorder, people just thought I did because of how thin I was. I'm glad that's over!!

The big ones for me include getting rid of:

Migraines

Anxiety/depression

weight loss

dark circles under my eyes

eczema

fatigue

always feeling "sick"

I feel like these days, I'm just functioning overall a lot better. There were a lot of little things that stopped as well, like bleeding gums, sinus infections, cramps, hair loss... I can't even remember all of it anymore.

It's just been so nice to be able to think clearly and focus for a change, and for people to stop approaching me about my "anorexia" issue. I've never had an eating disorder, people just thought I did because of how thin I was. I'm glad that's over!!