This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Update On Us

wsieving

wsieving Contributor

Ok, so DD had a returning bout of diarrhea all through the week last week. It started after eating a piece of whole wheat cinnamon toast, and continued from there. This was also the same day that we had results from her celiac panel as being neg. So the next day we had blood drawn for a RAST test. Diarrhea continued, then Friday we left for Branson for a weekend family vacation. On the way there DD decided to projectile vomit all over our inlaw's nice new van. It just kept coming up until she was completely empty. When I say projectile, I mean she was rear facing in the 2nd row captain's chair and hit my DH's hat who was sitting in the 3rd row. We thought just maybe it was motion sickness and dismissed it. Saturday went off without a hitch and suddenly her appetite picked up bigger than it ever has. We have never seen this child eat so much food... EVER. She didn't stuff herself, but ate like a normal toddler her age. Sunday we returned home and after about an hour of being home we gave her some cheese it crackers to snack on. Not long after that she started projectile vomiting again. Only this time, it didn't stop. She couldn't even keep down pedialite. Finally after a few hours of this and doing everything we could at home, we decided to take her to the ER. We could tell she was getting dehydrated because she didn't have any tears and she wasn't wetting her diapers anymore. She continued to vomit up until they put in an IV. She had 2 rounds of IV fluids and was sent home. She started running a fever right before we left the hospital, and still has one today. She vomited all through the night last night. Today that has finally ceased. She hasn't eaten anything in 24 hours, has only drank a few ounces of pedialite.

Now, this afternoon we noticed for the first time since she was 4 or 5 months old, her cheeks are nearly smooth. The eczema is disappearing! We thought for sure her allergy test would come back with some kind of an allergy. NOPE. Got the call about a half an hour ago. Results were neg. We really thought that without food for 24 hours and eczema clearing that a food allergy was causing this. I really want to just go gluten free and see if her cheeks continue to clear, and if all of her GI symptoms go away. DH seems hesitant. I am so frustrated right now, and I hate it that my baby is sick. Do you think the vomiting was just a bug or do you think it was Celiac related?

Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

You could try a small gluten-free trial for a few weeks to a month. Then challenge so it could be more clear for your Hubby.

missy'smom Collaborator

Ds was allergy tested through skin and blood and wheat showed up on both. He has eczema. Did a gluten-free trial for a month and the eczema went away and stayed away. Introduced gluten back and it came back. It used to be much worse before I went gluten-free, but after I went gluten-free and switched many but not all meals over to gluten-free it decreased but didn't go away completely. He also vomited once after eating a frozen pizza(containing most of the top 8 allergens), which is what prompted me to ask for allergy testing. Thing is, not only did he vomit but he also got a small rash on his hand right afterwards, that is what made me thing that it could be something other than the usual. Haven't done eliminations on the other food allergies that showed up.

Juliebove Rising Star
Ds was allergy tested through skin and blood and wheat showed up on both. He has eczema. Did a gluten-free trial for a month and the eczema went away and stayed away. Introduced gluten back and it came back. It used to be much worse before I went gluten-free, but after I went gluten-free and switched many but not all meals over to gluten-free it decreased but didn't go away completely. He also vomited once after eating a frozen pizza(containing most of the top 8 allergens), which is what prompted me to ask for allergy testing. Thing is, not only did he vomit but he also got a small rash on his hand right afterwards, that is what made me thing that it could be something other than the usual. Haven't done eliminations on the other food allergies that showed up.

My daughter does not have celiac, AFAIK and her IgE allergy tests come back negative. However, she has IgG allergies and one to wheat. So you might try that kind of testing. It's done via a blood test. We had to go to a Naturopath, which of course isn't covered by insurance.

mftnchn Explorer

Sure sounds like more than a flu bug to me.

Maybe allergies, elimination diet is the best approach for that. All testing is limited--and strengths of positives may not correspond to symptoms.

Negative blood tests don't totally rule out celiac. I assume you have the full 5 tests recommended here?

Would your DH believe Enterolab testing?

wsieving Contributor

Well, I have DH on board finally. I talked to all of our parents last night and they agreed with me, which is amazing in and of itself because they were always so reluctant when we initially started talking about celiac disease in the first place. But we know that something is causing her to have all of these problems. She was recently weighed at 18lbs 13ozs, and she is 30.5 inches tall, so she's pretty skinny these days, and I'm ready to try anything to help my little girl out. So off we go to shop today and hopefully we will be able to tell soon if it is helping :). It couldn't hurt for us all to be gluten free anyway since 3 of the 5 of us has ADD.

Archived