This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Something Made Me Sick- Can You Help Me W/ Ingredients?

crunchy-mama

crunchy-mama Apprentice

I got sick yesterday afternoon. The only 2 new things I can think of that I ate were some chips:

Hot & Spicy - Archer Farms

Potatoes

sunflower oil and/or corn oil

garlic and onion powder

salt sugar

spices

fructose

natural flavor

vinegar powder- maltodextrin, white distilled vinegar , modified food startch

tabasco flavor- aged cayenne- vinegar, salt

sesame oil

spice extract

From reading I thought in the US natural flavors and maltodextrin were ok. Could it be the garlic and onion powder? I didn't even think of that?

The only other new thing I had was dried white peaches from Trader Joes;

peaches sulfur dioxide.

I ate a lot of the chips, at least a half a bag- shameful I know- I usually eat better than that, but I had a craving (where is that bag over your head emoticon?). I don't think I got any cross contamination- but I am still new to this. I had horribly gas and stomach cramps all night and gas still today. I have figured out dairy is causing this symptom as well- so that is a possibility- just looking at the ingredients it seems that shouldn't be it. I guess I will have learned my lesson to be more careful. I just really wanted some chips. I didn't even think about the fact there would be cc from the cooking. Doh!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

Yes, the garlic and onion powder could have had wheat in them. I email/call companies if there is no gluten information on the packaging. Even if the ingredients are: Taro chips, sea salt and Canola oil. I want to be sure so I contact them.

I dont eat many processed foods anymore and have found I just feel better. I understand craving chips. Whole Foods caries a wide variety of chips (potato and corn) and some are gluten free and marked accordingly. If you MUST have chips, just make sure before you eat them.

Where I live, I can get plantain chips. Chifles brand. They are gluten free. Marked so and I called just to make double sure. When I want a chip I eat these. Carby and salty. Hits the spot.

happygirl Collaborator

If wheat is not listed, it is not 'hidden' in there.

FDA food labeling laws REQUIRE wheat to be listed.

I've never seen a garlic or onion powder that has wheat in it - and if it did, it would be listed.

lizard00 Enthusiast
natural flavor

spice extract

Those could be mysterious. Happygirl is right, but there is the slight possiblity that they contain barley. My other thought is that the spice extract could contain MSG, which makes me sick.

peaches sulfur dioxide.

Or that. I tried those once, couldn't get past the chemical smell of them from the sulfur dioxide. I ended up throwing them away, they literally burned my nose. Imagine what that might do to your insides... yikes :blink:

ShayFL Enthusiast

Ummm....a product from China just recently had ingredients NOT listed. At first they thought it didnt affect U.S., but found it in non-dairy creamer...Mr. Brown's brand I believe. A lot of spices are made in China. Unfortunately some U.S. manufacturers do not check what they import from China. So I would never say with 100% conviction that a spice didnt have wheat in the U.S (or something else bad).

Barley is a strong possibility as well. I also respond negatively to MSG. You might have a threshold for your tolerance to MSG and by eating so many....surpassed that which led to symptoms.

Plain simple foods is the safest way to go.

crunchy-mama Apprentice

interesting... I think I will call the company. I am not sure about MSG causing me stomach issues. What do you guys think about the cc issue?

jerseyangel Proficient

My first thought is cross contamination. The chips could have been made on shared lines as some that contained gluten. Something like this would certainly cause me to react.

Your best bet is to always call the company with a new product you're not sure about. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
. A lot of spices are made in China. Unfortunately some U.S. manufacturers do not check what they import from China. So I would never say with 100% conviction that a spice didnt have wheat in the U.S (or something else bad).

A US company would be in serious violation of labeling import laws and subject to severe fines. Any product imported into the US is subject of the FDA laws. Although, I would think it unwise to purchase a product labeled in a foreign language at a foreign market. Illegal product imports can happen.

Common sense would be a good rule to follow. ;)

btw, try McCormicks spices, they will clearly list any forms of gluten.

RiceGuy Collaborator
spices

natural flavor

spice extract

All of these seem somewhat non-specific to me, but the one highlighted in red is the one I'd suspect most. Since it doesn't specify the source (ie corn), then IMO it's basically anything they could get their hands on. I could care less if wheat wasn't specified as an allergen on the package. As was mentioned, it could be barley.

Lisa Mentor

Sometimes, you just never find out what is was that made you ill.

But, when it happens to me, I go back to the basics for a while until I feel better. And, then I revisit everything again.

It may very well be that you are still healing and perhaps what you ate was not gluten related, but may have been irritating to a compromised system. Maybe too many chips on a healing gut. ;)

If this continues, I suggest a food journal.

happygirl Collaborator
All of these seem somewhat non-specific to me, but the one highlighted in red is the one I'd suspect most. Since it doesn't specify the source (ie corn), then IMO it's basically anything they could get their hands on. I could care less if wheat wasn't specified as an allergen on the package. As was mentioned, it could be barley.

Food labeling laws doesn't require it to list the source unless it is a main 8 allergen.

I've never seen or heard barley as the source of 'modified food starch'

crunchy-mama Apprentice

I called Target guest relations, the maltodextrin is from corn and the food starch from some plants. She said she would have to call me back when she got more info.

jerseyangel Proficient
I called Target guest relations, the maltodextrin is from corn and the food starch from some plants. She said she would have to call me back when she got more info.

I'll bet she tells you it's made on a shared line......

rmducote Apprentice
interesting... I think I will call the company. I am not sure about MSG causing me stomach issues. What do you guys think about the cc issue?

It could be hidden in the "natural flavorings" or the modified food starch may not have been corn

rmducote Apprentice
I got sick yesterday afternoon. The only 2 new things I can think of that I ate were some chips:

Hot & Spicy - Archer Farms

Potatoes

sunflower oil and/or corn oil

garlic and onion powder

salt sugar

spices

fructose

natural flavor

tabasco flavor- aged cayenne- vinegar, salt

sesame oil

spice extract

From reading I thought in the US natural flavors and maltodextrin were ok. Could it be the garlic and onion powder? I didn't even think of that?

peaches sulfur dioxide.

I ate a lot of the chips, at least a half a bag- shameful I know- I usually eat better than that, but I had a craving (where is that bag over your head emoticon?). I don't think I got any cross contamination- but I am still new to this. I had horribly gas and stomach cramps all night and gas still today. I have figured out dairy is causing this symptom as well- so that is a possibility- just looking at the ingredients it seems that shouldn't be it. I guess I will have learned my lesson to be more careful. I just really wanted some chips. I didn't even think about the fact there would be cc from the cooking. Doh!

The tabasco flavoring has vinegar in it, it does not say distilled, so I would suspect that, the modified food startch, and also the natural flavorings. vinegar was one of the last things i figured out to avoid
MELINE Enthusiast

are you lactose intolerant??? cause fried potatos act like lactose. I don't know why, but I've read it and it happens. And bloating and gas are symptoms of lactose intolerance.

crunchy-mama Apprentice

re: lactose intolerance: Well, I month ago I would have give you a strong no. However, afer going gluten-free my body is responding louder and louder to dairy. Both of my kids could not tolerate dairy and recently found out neither can either of my parents. So, I guess my new answer would be it seems so.

Oh, the lady from Target /Archer Farms called back. She said that they have an allergy team and they said they were both gluten-free and DF and they didn't think I reacted to them. I asked if they had a dedicated fryer though and she had no answer. So, who knows.

Manet Newbie

modified food starch... could be any starch.. e.g. wheat

• 5 years later...
Bilingualmom Newbie

I had a bad reaction this afternoon after feeling mostly good, (gluten free for a little over a month). I got naturebox products which were labeled as not containing wheat. The ingredients were: plantains, safflower oil, salt. What could have done this to me? Major GI symptoms!

psawyer Proficient

Welcome. This is a very old topic, and much of the information may be out of date. Certainly the worries about modified food starch are no longer relevant. You may have better responses by starting a new one.

Bilingualmom Newbie

Welcome. This is a very old topic, and much of the information may be out of date. Certainly the worries about modified food starch are no longer relevant. You may have better responses by starting a new one.

I don't quite know how to start a new comment thread but I will get back on tonight and keep trying to figure it out? Thank you!!

psawyer Proficient

I don't quite know how to start a new comment thread but I will get back on tonight and keep trying to figure it out? Thank you!!

Go to the forum you want it in (you can click on the forum name on the main page) and click one of the blue "Start New Topic" buttons. They are on the right hand side. There is one near the top, just above the green bar, and another one at the bottom.

Archived