• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Janiney

Meal/snack Ideas Please!

Rate this topic

Hi everyone!

I've been gluten free for almost two months and feeling the difference. I'm intolerant to eggs unless they're used in baking etc (they give me horrible stomach ache) lactose intolerant to an extreme degree and vegetarian.... so vegan basically! I'm also cutting out soy for a little while just to see if it makes any overall difference and trying to go light on carbs to help my constipation issues.

The problem is I'm bored! It seems I'm finding less and less things I can tolerate and eating doesn't give me pleasure anymore as it's all so bland.

So, can anyone give me meal/snack ideas based on my diet restrictions? I'm looking for something tasty and satisfying that doesn't make me hurt! :P

- no gluten

- no egg

- no butter, cheese, milk

- no meat

- carb light

Thanks! :D

Try making a curry using coconut milk.

Add seasonal vegetables (zuchini, brocolli, carrot, mushroom, onion, etc), green curry paste, a couple tbspoon of olive oil and one can of coconut milk to a skillet. Simmer on medium heat until vegetables are tender...

Serve over rice.

Yummmy!

this recipe can be adjusted based on your dietary restrictions. Feel free to add or substitute anything! (Ie almonds, apples and cranberries and cinnamon are a nice alternative)

Good Luck.

also some people who are lactose intolerant can have goat's milk dairy, goat yogurt and goat cheese are delicious and add tons of flavor

Thanks for the sugestions, there are some great ideas there... Particularly the gluten-free website, what a fantastic woman that Karina is!

I will be buying myself some coconut milk as that's something I've never used before... and I will investigate goat's cheese, I've had goat's milk before but found it tasted a little... farmyardy!

Snacking on a combination of raisins, almonds, pecans and prunes (helps the constipation :P), plus lots of fruit and well cooked veg.

I can't get Larabars here in England, well, I can online, but for

Thanks for the sugestions, there are some great ideas there... Particularly the gluten-free website, what a fantastic woman that Karina is!

I will be buying myself some coconut milk as that's something I've never used before... and I will investigate goat's cheese, I've had goat's milk before but found it tasted a little... farmyardy!

Snacking on a combination of raisins, almonds, pecans and prunes (helps the constipation :P), plus lots of fruit and well cooked veg.

I can't get Larabars here in England, well, I can online, but for

Try Karina's Breakfast Brownies. They are worth every minute and every ingredient. Cut, wrap and freeze for a fast granola type bar. I use chopped seeds and nuts and dates. FANTASTIC!

I am SOOO addicted to those things. This past time I put chopped macadamia nuts and dried blueberries in them. YUM! My whole family LOVES them.

I am SOOO addicted to those things. This past time I put chopped macadamia nuts and dried blueberries in them. YUM! My whole family LOVES them.

Yes...our whole family too. I use the macadamia nuts and almonds and sunflower kernals and pumpkin seeds with chopped dates. I love chocolate but didn't care for it nor peanuts in this recipe. Blueberries???...my dd and dh would love that...thanks for the tip! Or coconut!

LARA BARS!!!!!

they are amazing!!

i love the cashew cookie, the pb cookie, the apple pie -

they are only made with like 2 to 4 ingredients.

i think the

cashew cookie bar has

CASHEWS, DATES!

thats ALL!!!!!!

i love them so much.

i have also found some AMAZING

baked good/bread items

from almondglory foods -

http://www.almondglory.net/indexa.htm

i am obsessed.

its based in LA, but

they ship all over.

soy free, gluten free, low glycemic.

not sure about the dairy.

the bagels are unbelievable.

as is the foccacia

and since the base

of everything is almond meal -

it feels and IS more nutrient dense

than a lot of that potato starch/tapioca flour stuff.

enjoy!!!!!!

How about corn polenta? You can buy the corn meal, and just boil the appropriate amount of water and stir in the corn meal. stir. And pour into a bowl. put in the fridge...and then slice when cold! It is really good. Also, can you have rice? Have you tried making anything with buckwheat...it is great. Just buy the raw, unroasted buckwheat groats, and cook it exactly like you'd cook rice. It is really tasty and deliriously nutritious. You can also buy buckwheat meal, and cook like the polenta above. Then you can eat it either as a sweet (with honey and almond milk) or savoury dish (salted with various herbs, etc, tomatoes, ).

Hope that helps!

Just a little note that goats milk does have lactose. Some people who are allergic or intolerant to cows milk protein are able to tolerate goats milk better, but for lactose (milk sugar) intolerance it really doesn't make much difference. Of course, hard cheeses have very little lactose anyway, that would also go for a well matured goats milk cheese.

Pauliina

Try the website www.recipezaar.com I have found some terrific ideas there. You can ask for only gluten free recipes. Good eating!

you can make cheese/buy cheese that is made from nut milks. I recently tried a cashew cheese that was yummy, good for crackers.

I tried homemade almond cheese but we didn't like it. Next time I want to try the cashew cheese, most people talk about it.