• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

fanfaire

Movie Theatre Popcorn?

Rate this topic

Because of my many ailments, I don't get out much in public anymore. I still enjoy going to movies, though. Last weekend, I tried to find out what at the concession stand I could eat. The employees had no idea what was in what they were selling. Does anyone know the status of movie theatre popcorn? I'd bring my own food, but that isn't allowed. <_<

I bring my own food anyway. I can't risk getting sick over their food. I bring a big purse (don't know if your a guy or girl), I only have my wallet and my keys in the bag, and then I fill the rest with snacks. I being a bag of popcorn from home and some gluten-free candy, or any other food that I can wrap up and fit in the bag. Plus some bottled water, since I don't drink soda much anymore. I've never been kicked out of a theater, and they never seem to notice anyhow. I mean it's an illness, and they want your money, but if you get sick you won't go back, so what's the big deal. If they hassle you about it maybe you could bring along a doctor's note! :lol:

Mariann

I agree.. they never know if you bring food in. I always bring my own bag of microwave popcorn and sometimes even some grapes or other finger fruits. And besides, movie theater popcorn is highway robbery!

Well, besides the fact that movie theater popcorn is way, way over priced, and that is putting it mildly, they have no right to stop you from bringing in your own food anyway. Celiac disease is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act and even if you choose to bring in your own popcorn or other snacks in plain view they can't stop you, if they try to, you actually could sue them.

I am a big fan of movie theater popcorn (even though i agree it is overpriced). So, I asked my dietician, (who specializes in celiac) and she said it was fine as long as you don't get the butter on it. Hope this helps :D

I tried to find out once... It was a long, involved process! :P

The young guys at the theater didn't know. They gave me a product catalog, and I called the supplying company... They really weren't much help either, since they didn't make it--just sold it!

Finally, I found a number for someone.... But it was made with canola oil--which I believe to be cross-contaminated with wheat, so I just bring my own!! B)

-- "I'd bring my own food, but that isn't allowed."

If the theater can't accomodate my needs, then they shouldn't complain! Besides, they never check!

Everyone should have a "Movie Purse"!

Connie

Movie popcorn without the topping is most certainly gluten-free. If you want the topping the trick is to find out what your theater uses. Flavacol is the msot commonly used topping and it is gluten-free.

richard

I have a friend who works at the Century theaters in Salinas, CA and both the kinds of popcorn they have there is fine so is the butter they use it is real butter saw the box to it and the butter salt they put on the seeds also fine. the nachos and the cheese ok too.

.... But it was made with canola oil--which I believe to be cross-contaminated with wheat, so I just bring my own!!....

That's the first I've heard of Canola oil being unsafe. Anyone have any info on that?

best regards, lm

That's the first I've heard of Canola oil being unsafe. Anyone have any info on that?

best regards, lm

'

larrymac,

check the date of that post.

'

larrymac,

check the date of that post.

Yikes! I should know better than to get hosed like that. You would think if someone replied to a 4

We recently found out that our local small town movie theater was REALLY willing to accommodate us (whereas the larger chain in the next town told us to buzz off). Their popcorn is gluten-free and to avoid CC we can either show up for the 1st showing (which we usually do if we want to see a movie anyway) or call ahead and they'd set some aside for us all safe and special. We went in as soon as they opened (nobody else was there) and they pulled out ALL of the snacks for us to inspect. Their nachos and hot dogs aren't safe, but they're kept wrapped well away from the popcorn (hence why we'd want our popcorn first if we got any).

Honestly, I've found that small "mom and pop" shop type of places are more accommodating than big chains.

Mmmmm popcorn!

Skittles are gluten free. I took my little sister to see Beverly Hills Chihuahua the other day and bought her Skittles at the snack stand. She was so excited when she read the back of the bag and they said gluten free. She was THRILLED to be able to share her treat with me. (She's only 7.. quite a bit younger than myself)

Also, all M&M's except the Crispy kind are gluten free.

Mike and Ike's and Hot Tamales are gluten free.

Whether a candy is gluten free/cross contaminated(and other foods in general)is an especially daunting task. Even shopping with a smartphone in hand with me at the store, many labels are too vague. For now, I will speak specifically to topics related to Mike and Ike candy that I have been reading.

Yes, Just Born Inc. now labels Mike and Ike candy as Gluten Free. Because it is one of my favorite treats at the theater, and my daughter bought me a box after she saw they were labeled gluten-free, I went to the Just Born Inc. website. There is no indication the production area of Mike and Ike candy is separate from other candy being produced, potentially causing cross contamination. In addition, I find it ludicrous to place a gluten-free label on a food item while having the statement below on their website:

http://www.justborn.com/get-to-know-us/faqs

*QUESTION: ARE YOUR CANDIES GLUTEN FREE?*

~We are in the process of updating our package labels to reflect products that are gluten free.

~ This information pertains to all Just Born candies that we make and package at our two manufacturing locations (Bethlehem, PA and Philadelphia, PA) and are in their original packaging.

~*Please be aware that we do sell some of our products in bulk to other manufacturers who may be repackaging them in another facility.*~

~We encourage consumers to read the labels carefully for any gluten information on products that might be packaged elsewhere.

I have not contacted the company for further details as it is the weekend. I no longer wonder about why I feel sick after eating my Mike and Ike's... :(

Please note: these are old posts and the info in them may be out of date.

In fact, Just Born candies are probably about as safe as it gets. They don't make any candies that include gluten. I seriously doubt Mike and Ikes are contaminated.

richard