• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

henny

Wow, 3 Days Gluten-free!

Rate this topic

The idea that I might be Celiac is still very surreal to me.

I've been suffering symptoms without realizing it for about 8 years now...constant constipation with severe pain and diarrhea 2-3 times a month. Doctor kept telling me it was IBS and to live with it.

A couple months ago it switched to painful diarrhea every single day and I rapidly lost about 20 lbs.

During this time started to notice that I WAS able to eat yogurt and drink milk, and I could eat raw fruits and veggies without setting off my gut.

I made a few phone calls last week and found out that EVERYONE on my mother's side of the family (we're talking grandparents, my mom's 5 siblings, and almost all their children) have been diagnosed with Celiac.

Three days ago I went completely Gluten Free, and have not had even a rumble in my guts since then. No gas, no pain, no diarrhea. It's like a miracle.

Today I had the first 'normal' bowel movement I can ever remember having. No toilet plunger required, no pain, and it wasn't explosive or runny. I nearly cried, if you can imagine that.

Anyway, I'm doing a lot of reading now and things are clicking into place - my poor tooth enamel, migraines, joint pain, etc. I bought some pre-made gluten free bread, which was disgusting, so now I am looking into cooking much of my bread products from here on out.

I doubt I will seek out an official diagnosis, since the diet seems to be working and my family history is pretty damning.

If you have advice for a newbie I'd appreciate it a great deal. This is all very shocking and surreal, but I'm so happy right now to be feeling better I'm looking forward to my new lifestyle - even if it's a pain in the neck.

This is the third day of the rest of my life.

-jen

This is the third day of the rest of my life.

-jen

Hi Jen, Welcome. For some of us the digestive troubles leaving can seem nothing short of miraculous. I can certainly identify with that. You have found a good place for both info and for support. It can be tough at first because there is so much to watch out for, do check all your toiletries and things like shampoos and lotions. If you live with other gluten eaters make sure you take strict precautions about crosscontamination. Get your own condiments and things like peanut butter and jelly. A gluten coated knife dipped in will make you ill. Also get a new toaster and colander. If your pans are scratched replace them. I am sure some others will be on with some advice also and feel free to post any questions you have or vent if you need to. I am glad you are feeling so much better and hope things continue to improve.

One final note, if a doctor derived diagnosis is important to you you must be eating gluten for testing. With the family history you have you may not feel that is needed but it is important that you know that.

Thanks guys!

I really do feel like a new person from the neck down!

I hope it lasts and isn't some kind of placebo effect.

Thanks for the advice about cross contamination....I hadn't thought about my toaster and pans at all!

I doubt I will pursue testing....results are enough for me!

My husband has Crohn's (has for 22 years now) so we make quite a pair....LOL!

I think we single-handedly keep the Charmin TP Company in business HAHAHAHA! Sorry, I have a gross sense of humor sometimes but I think with these digestive problems you NEED one!

This is the first week in a very long time that I have not been sicker than him. Amazing.

My husband has Crohn's (has for 22 years now) so we make quite a pair....LOL!

I think we single-handedly keep the Charmin TP Company in business HAHAHAHA! Sorry, I have a gross sense of humor sometimes but I think with these digestive problems you NEED one!

This is the first week in a very long time that I have not been sicker than him. Amazing.

You have to have a sense of humor to get through some of these days!

If your house becomes gluten free, I'll bet you'll see improvement with his issues, too!

I'm so glad you're finding some relief!

My biggest tip is to avoid the gluten-free breads for a while to let your palate adjust. None of it tastes good compared to the wheat counterparts at first. The one exception is Kinnickinnick pizza crusts. If you can find some of those and make some cheese bread or some pizza, you'll be in heaven! I am a gluten eater (my daughter has Celiac) and those crusts are sent straight from the Gods, I'm tellin' ya.

My BFF has Crohn's and she says she gets some relief from beling gluten-lite, so this is a chance to help your hubby, too!

Here's other things I've done in my home to make it a happier Celiac place:

1. Clean like mad to rid the house and kitchen of crumbs.

2. Decide if you are going to keep your house gluten-free. It's quite easy, but not for everyone.

3. Purchase a rice cooker. We use ours religiously!

4. Find your favorite place to buy gluten-free foods. and expect some sticker shock.

5. Learn to love fresh fruits and veggies. You will be eating a lot of them.

6. Prepare to try a lot of disgusting gluten-free foods. It's getting better, but we've all tried some doozies.

7. Cry at the grocery store. You'll spend about 4 hours

your first trip buying gluten-free reading all the labels and realizing all the

"I can't eat that either..." items. It happens to the best of us.

8. Research your local restaurants and find out which ones offer a gluten-free menu."

Try them and find a few safe places to eat out.

9. Don't be discouraged when you accidentally gluten yourself.

10. Learn to love to cook, if you don't already.

11. Come here often. I'd never know what I know about anything gluten-free without this place.

Recipezaar.com has lots of good gluten free recipes. Your library will have lots of gluten free cookbooks. I recommend taking out all of them and trying some recipes before you buy any cookbooks.

Bette Hagman was the first gluten free cookbook author and her books were a godsend. We have a lot more gluten free flours to work with now than she had access to. My current favourite cookbook is Gluten Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts. She uses brown rice flour and all of her recipes are great.

If you're only baking for yourself you may want to start with mixes as opposed to buying individual flours. If you have a Whole Foods by you they will have Pamela's (www.pamelasproducts.com/ - ) which is very popular and Better Batter ( www.betterbatter.org/ -) is also a good one.

If you like Pamela's Amazon has the best price on it I believe and they have the subscription deal on it. Better Batter is the same price from them or Amazon.

thanks everyone :)

OMG....I just read that going gluten-free could improve my psoriasis? THAT would be SOOOOOoooooo Awesome! I hope that turns out to be true. As my digestive issues got worse over the past few years so did my psoriasis....here's to hoping it goes the other way also!