• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

HAK1031

"why Aren't You Eating" Getting Frustrating

Rate this topic

Yesterday was Rosh Hashanah, and I specifically asked my family what we would be doing for lunch and if I should bring food. They told me not to worry, they'd make sure to find something. Well, we wound up going to a catered luncheon at a family friend's house. Typcal jewish menu: lox and bagels, kugel, potato pancakes, and desserts galore. It was buffet style so the few dishes that would probably be ok were out of the question. Plus, the basket of bagels was right above the plates...I could see crumbs! Needless to say, I chose not to eat anything, which was fine, I really didn't mind. But the "why aren't you eating? just have a little bit!" got sooooo obnoxious, even after I explained the allergy thing.

Then today we had an all-staff meeting for work where they served dinner: chicken parmesan, pasta, rolls, and salad. I had some salad (dressingless) and got a lot of weird looks or comments. The fact that the first twenty minutes of the meeting were spent doing teambuilding activites with balloons (I am severely allergic to latex) didn't help my case. I explain wherever possible, but I tend to get the "teenage girl, another crazy diet" type of attitude, even when I explain it in the context of an autoimmune disease or an allergy.

Anyway, it's just frustrating. But I'm sure we can all relate! :rolleyes:

You had a rough couple of days there. I am still working out my rules for eating out but they are currently

1. always have low expectations
  2. if I don't know what is in it, don't eat it but I generally trust the restaurant chefs if they say and it looks gluten free
  3. if I am hungry, bring food

I don't know what to do about the really annoying helpful comments.

rob

I agree--never believe anybody unless they too have celiac and are really on it (some aren't and cheat regularly). Always bring along some emergency food just in case... People will see you eating. They may or may not notice but it will make them more comfortable than if you eat nothing at all at such an event... I tend to bring something others will like too so the subject hardly comes up, if it does, its no big deal since most people like to eat what I make. You might even get praised. I just have to make sure what I actually eat is separate however and give left overs of the main part to others unless its something like a pastry that can be individually wrapped in cellophane (with hands washed before and after unless it too is kept separate).

Bea

I agree--never believe anybody unless they too have celiac and are really on it (some aren't and cheat regularly). Always bring along some emergency food just in case... People will see you eating. They may or may not notice but it will make them more comfortable than if you eat nothing at all at such an event...

Bea

I agree.

I generally do not trust others to prepare my food. I let a good friend of mine cook me dinner about a month ago. But she is "grain free" herself and understands CC very well. When I got there she showed me everything she used and she even covered all of the baking dishes in tin foil. Made note that she was using stainless steel spoons and such. I ate there and did not get sick. :)

But I had almonds and an apple in my purse just in case. I always have something in my purse. Always. Then again I have been doing it for years because I am one of those people who has gotta eat when I gotta eat.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• May 29, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • June 01, 2019 Until June 02, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• July 07, 2019 Until August 03, 2019
      For more information, visit www.kefss.com or call (407) 255-6550. info@kefss.com 

KEF USA Summer Camps Announces the New KEF Gluten-Free Camp in Orlando, Florida for Youths with Celiac Disease.

[Orlando, FL February 6, 2019]-KEF USA is excited to announce that we will offer a new 100% gluten-free camp program to give kids and teens with Celiac Disease a safe, exciting and healthy summer. KEF USA programs offer fun and unique experiences that can only be found in Orlando, Florida. Campers explore the theme parks and local attractions, make new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.