This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Tests Results Are In

FaithInScienceToo

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Got my Enterolab results today....

After 6 weeks gluten-free::

Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 92 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Stool Test for Autoimmune Reaction to Tissue Transglutaminase

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 45 Units (Normal Range <10

Units)

Stool Test for Small Intestinal Malabsorption

Microscopic Fecal Fat Score: 286 Units (Normal Range < 300

Units)

Stool Test for Milk Sensitivity

Fecal anti-casein IgA antibody 50 Units (Normal Range <10

Units)

Gene Test for Gluten Sensitivity

Molecular Analysis: HLA-DQB1*0301, 0302

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (subtype 7,8)

Interpretation: Analysis of this stool sample indicates you have

dietary gluten sensitivity, resulting in an associated autoimmune reaction to

the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase, but no small intestinal

malabsorption/damage.

You also have antibodies to the main cow's milk

protein, casein, and hence, you are immunologically sensitive to foods

containing cow's milk.

HLA gene analysis reveals that you have one of the main genes that

predisposes to gluten sensitivity and celiac sprue, HLA-DQ3, subtype 8

(HLA-DQ8). This genotype also can predispose to microscopic colitis and

other autoimmune syndromes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY QUESTIONS:

1)

I had been gluten-free for 6 weeks, (and absolutley, beyond any doubt 100% gluten-free for at least 2 weeks) prior to testing, and I told the lab that info on their questionnaire...

So, since my malabsorption result came in so close to 300, could I still have had some mild malabsorption due to 'celiac' that had healed prior to testing, and shouldn't Dr. Fine have noted that on his report....since I have read in many articles now that healing can happen rapidly in some people....

Should I e-mail him about that, in case he wasn't aware of my questionnaire answers when he interpreted my results? Has anyone else had this happen with Enterolab?

2)

My gastroenterologist did a blood celiac panel on me last Tuesday, EVEN though I told him I had been gluten-free for at least 6 weeks...he told me it wasn't long enough to mess up the tests...

They, of course, came back negative...although one of them was o.9 u away from abnormal...

He now wants to do a colonoscopy with biopsies...

I am thinking of having this done, even if he finds nothing he considers to be significant for Celiac....just in case I may have some other intestinal problem...BUT, I no longer have most of the intestinal problems , nor any skin problems, after going gluten-free....

I am now 47 1/2...and should get a colonoscopy at age 50, anyway...

Does this seem wise though?... to go ahead and get the scope and biopsies, or is there someone out there that thinks I should avoid the colonoscopy until I am 50, and completely avoid the biopsies (I am concerned...are they dangerous, or can they show other ilnesses?)...

I ask this since I will never ingest gluten again, and my new gastro doc knows it already...so, I am wondering why even do the biopsies?...I will IF doing so can also rule out other illnesses...ie, cancer...or is just the colonoscopy alone enough to rule out colon cancer?

Thanks, Gina

PS - I went gluten-free on my own after researching my symptoms on-line, and THEN went to a gastroenterologist for a different reason...[i didn't realize when I went gluten-free that I shouldn't have prior to blood testing....until I was gluten-free for 2 weeks already...

But, feeling so much better by then, I knew I could never ingest gluten again, on purpose...so, I NEVER intended to see a gastro doc for celiac]...

I only went to the gastro doc to check on an internal hemmorhoid I was worried about (I didn't know that that's what it was...so, it freaked me out)...Anyway, I ended up telling him about having gone gluten-free, etc...he then ordered the celiac panel...

Yep....I asked him (2 times), 'Don't I need to be eating gluten for those tests to work?' He answered me with the 'it's not that far out to affect the tests' results'...

...anyway, THAT's how the blood tests got done...I wasn't expecting them to come back positive...I just sorta thought I'd get to make sure I was gluten-free...maybe the doc wanted to check on it, too...

PPS - hope that all made sense...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

I would think you should take the malabsorption results as good news. The healing that has taken place over the 6 weeks gluten free, has your body absorbing nutrients again.

A colonoscopy is probably a good idea to have. Your test results bring up the possiblity of microscopic colitis. Cancer screening 2 years earlier than what you planned might be a good thing.

However, I would make sure the gastro. you are doing the tests with has a better communication with you. The blood test on the gluten free diet comment, is that what every Gastro. says? Did you see the diagnoses on your file? I'd bet you $5 it says you were diagnosed with IBS. I would ask the Gastro. Celiac questions and make sure the doc. comes up with the correct answers. If he says something wrong about Celiac as your coming out of recovery from your test you are going to doubt your colonoscopy results. (Not as easy as a blood test to go through again.)

Just my opinions here.

Laura

gf4life Enthusiast

The colonoscopy is a good thing to have, but it can't tell you either way if you have Celiac or not. They would have to do an endoscopy/small intestinal biopsy down the esphagus and through the stomach. And you would need to have been on gluten for about 3-6 months prior to the endoscopy for that to even have a chance at being accurate. Even then there is a chance the doctor could "miss" is, since the damage is usually patchy and if they don't biopsy a damaged aera, then it could be a false negative.

The colonoscopy is a good idea, since you have an internal hemorroid, and they could get a good look at it, as well as to check for other things like Crohn's disease, diverticulitis, colon polyps (which could lead to colon cancer if they aren't removed), various types of colitis, and other inflamatory bowel diseases. Since you know that you carry the gene for Celiac and you have improved so much on the gluten-free diet, then that combined with the Enterolab antibody results should be your answer. Don't expect to get a diagnosis from your gastro doctor without a positive endoscopic biopsy. You are at higher risk for other bowel problems and those can be diagnosed or eliminated by doing the colonoscopy.

As for the high number on the Enterolab malabsorbtion test, yet Dr. Fine's statement of "no small intestinal malabsorption/damage", this is exactly the same for my 8 year old son. He was tested last year and at 7 years old had 279 as his test result. Well since it has to be over 300 to be considered intestinal damage I don't think that legally Dr. Fine can say that you had more damage and it healed. He can only report what the tests say. You can surely assume that you had more damage and it had already started healing, but it would be pointless to try and get him to add it to his report. I consider my son to have been borderline on the intestinal damage issue, and am not surprised that he was the one child of mine with the most health problems. He is doing so much better now.

God bless,

Mariann

To the two members who have replied thus far...

THANK YOU, SO MUCH!

I have some little tears in my eyes forming...you took the time to help me...and you DID, "help"....

THANK YOU...

I will reply in full another day...only came on-line quickly to see if I got any replies/advice...have to leave right now to pick up my 4-year-old niece...am sitting tonight :-)

Bless you, too...

Gina

judy05 Apprentice

Gina,

My GI doc encouraged me to have both "scopes", a colonoscopy

and an endoscopy and I'm glad that he did. My colonoscopy

was negative except for hemorrhoids and a small benign polyp.

However, the Endo revealed Barrett's ring around the esophagus,

it is caused by the stomach acid splashing up into the esophagus

( I also have a weak sphincter muscle) and this could sometime cause

cancer so I have to be scoped every year. I have always had

heartburn but I would not have known this without the scope.

Acid reflux is one of the early symptoms of Celiac. I don't have

the gene but I am gluten intolerant.

Thanks, everyone -

I plan to have the colonoscopy and biopsies next Friday...to make sure the gluten-problems haven't caused cancer, and to rule out anything else -

And, it doesn't matter at all anymore what the gastro doc may of may not end up concluding about "Celiac" - I didn't start going to him for a diagnosis of Celiac...I knew from the symptoms/diagnoses I'd had over the year and from my very positive reaction to going gluten-free that 'at the very least' I should not ingest the stuff intentionally....Unless 'they' come out with a treatment that is PROVEN over MANY years to make gluten ok for everyone.

I'll let you know what the new tests 'reveal' if anything -

Best wishes,

Gina

Hi, everyone -

Just wanted to ask for your love and support...

Am getting both the colonoscopy and endoscopy done this Friday...I am scared, of course..

of the procedures..hope I have a good doc...

I haven't had a chance to talk with him yet about my blood tests and Enterolab tests results, but he did want me to FAX the Enterolab results to him, so that was comforting to know...I imagine that I will be given an appointment to discuss 'all of it' with him.

I will come back and add-on after I get the invasive tests' results back, and have spoken to him about all of the results.

Thank you, all, for 'being there.'

I am very thankful for this site...my love to each of you -

Gina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Good luck with your tests. It sounds like you already know to stay gluten-free to feel better yourself, and I hope the tests pass quickly, and easily.

plantime Contributor

The endoscopy is not bad, you will do find. It is normal to be scared and nervous, and the nurses should be able to help you remain calm. I was knocked out most of the way for my endo, I don't remember anything past the meds being administered until I was woke up in recovery. I hope you get definitive test results from yours!

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yes--it's not bad at all. I was quite scared before my first one a little over a year ago, but by the second, I knew what a breeze it was--don't let the endoscopy scare you :);)

KLTerry Apprentice

I was 27 when I had my colonoscopy. I survived.

Archived